Caribbean Island in August Recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2023, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are interested in going to the Caribbean or Mexico in early August. Searching the Internet and the forums it seems August is not an ideal time because of hurricanes and it’s the rainy season. Has anyone gone in early August and it wasn’t as bad as stated? Also which island did you visit? The options are endless. If you have recommendations for alternative sunny locations that are kids friendly please provide. Thanks.
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 10:44 AM

Yes, August is in the middle of Hurricane Season in the Caribbean but that doesn't mean there are storms that affect every island all through the month. Most storms will only impact a couple of islands as they cross the Caribbean and their winds & rains only last a day or two. It's impossible for anyone to tell you NOW if any particular island will be hit by a major storm in August. Typically you only get a week or so advance notice of an impending storm. If there are no storms near a given island the weather in August can be quite nice.It's really up to Mother Nature. Typically the islands further south like St. Lucia, St. Vincent, the Grenadines,, Grenada, Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao are less affected by hurricanes than the northern islands so you might want to focus your search on those islands.

All that said, In over 35 years of travel I've been to most Caribbean Islands (both northern and southern ones) in August and have rarely encountered prolonged periods of bad weather so going to the Caribbean in August really depends on your risk tolerance.
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 12:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been to Puerto Rico in July and August numerous times and also once to St. Thomas in August. It's a risk due to hurricane season but it is a small risk. Generally the weather was good the times I've gone. We've had some trips that included showers but I can't ever recall a total washout on any given day. We had one close call with a hurricane in Puerto Rico - we went for a week and the weather was beautiful. Our last day got cloudy and the next day a hurricane hit. So I guess it is up to you as the level of risk you are willing to take. The upside to summer travel to the Caribbean is lower hotel prices.
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 02:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Honestly I have never done it, in August, exactly because of all the concerns you mention. I have been to the Caribbean a half-dozen times (Jamaica, DR, USVI) and Mexico many many times (mostly Puerto Vallarta) which I love dearly but would not go in Aug or Sept myself.

It's not only about weather, temps, rain... but with high humidity you also get bugs (bites) and other concerns. You would absolutely want AC that time of year (which I normally do not need or want0.
Old Mar 31st, 2023, 10:18 AM

I’ve been many times in Aug & Sep. Never encountered a hurricane but that’s been down to pure luck. It’s a wonderful time to go IF there’s no storm, beaches to yourself. Can’t say I’ve not been worried about storms. Some places can be closed (eg restaurants & hotels) due to low season so that can be an issue for some.
Old Apr 1st, 2023, 10:36 PM

If you have to go in August, the early part of the month is USUALLY better. I lived in Hurricane Alley for nearly 20 years (South Florida and the Caribbean). But you certainly can get them in August, and often with short notice.

The ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao) are reputedly south of the main hurricane belt. Barbados and Grenada are other options.

I'd avoid Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, and the Bahamas.

You want to take out travel insurance as soon as you book. Once a storm has been named it's too late.

PS Weather in the Caribbean is not really that variable outside of hurricanes and winter "cold snaps". It's not anything like Puerto Vallarta which is absolutely miserable in the middle of summer.

Last edited by mlgb; Apr 1st, 2023 at 10:45 PM.
Old Apr 2nd, 2023, 11:15 AM

Hi,

I would definitely choose the Caribbean in August; just as bustling destinations and often for a lower price compared to winter.

Hurricane threats should not deter you in choosing your timeframe, because
- Hurricanes are not that frequent in hitting Caribbean islands (fair chance they remain at sea only)
- Even then, it rarely happens two hit one island twice as every one has its own path
- Tourists, unless they insist on remaining themselves, are evacuated timely

Best to just select your destination, and then google or scroll faqs to see how an island deals with these challenges.
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 09:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the information. My tolerance level is pretty high but since I’m traveling with kids and my parents I’ll rather not risk it.