Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Caribbean Cruise: Southern Caribbean or "Classic Southern" Caribbean?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want to take a Caribbean cruise this winter and the only week we can do that is March 22. Our cruise choices are southern destinations on Royal Caribbean's "Serenade of the Seas", or classic southern destinations on Crown Princess. Which itinerary and cruise operator is the best? Does anybody have experience with these locations?
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 09:25 AM

Helen what are the ports of call. I would put that high on the list of factors. We have always had good experience on RCCL ships. Do not have any experience on Princess. What port do these ships leave from?

Old Nov 6th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

I think we've narrowed it down to the Crown Princess. Their ports of call are Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Thomas, Tortola, and San Juan.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 07:48 PM

It really depends on your family and what you expect from the ship, too. We travel with 2 teenagers and for us Royal Carib. is the cruise line of choice. We will be sailing on the Serenade of the Seas on a southern caribbean itinerary this winter after sailing with them last winter on a similar southern Carib itinerary. It worked out so well, I rebooked immediately. I had great advice from friends who have been on many cruises. There are 3 different ports of call this time, even though they are both southern routes. The weather is more reliable the further south you go. Something else to consider: does the ship 'dock' or tender? If it docks, then it is 'easy off and easy on." We look for cruises that dock at the ports of call. We had good friends sail with Princess this past summer and they were disappointed with the ship as compared to Royal Carib. I don't remember the specifics, but they have booked their next cruise on Royal Carib.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 04:50 AM

We did the Southern Caribbean, Serenade of the Seas last February. It was wonderful. I was stuck (as you) between Crown Princess and RCCL. I chose RCCL for several reasons, one of which was less passengers, another which was the times in port I think. I had also done a lot of research on cruisecritic.com. RCCL runs close by the entire chain of islands on the return trip so you "see" much more on the way back than you are scheduled to and the captain also does a 360 in front of the Pitons in St. Lucia for everyone to get a good view.