Reload this Page >

Caribbean in the summer?

Search

Caribbean in the summer?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 05:55 PM
Tom

Caribbean in the summer?

We are tired of taking our summer vacation on the beaches of the east coast and were thinking about going to the caribbean. Any feedback about vacationing in the caribbean in late July/early Aug? how hot does it get? any other issues? we have been to the caribbean in the winter biut never in the summer months

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 07:18 PM
juli

Tom:<BR>We visited Cayman this past Aug. It was the best trip. But it was really hot!. I mean hell-hot. With humidity aboout 120 degrees at noon time. So hot we left the water for about 10 minutes and then had to run back in. You dont need to worry about getting a chair in the sun, we never used it.<BR>But its alot cheaper then the winter months. And not as crowded. Its easier to go to the popular restaurants for dinner at 7:00 not 10:30. There arent many families around because most are gettting ready for school to start.<BR><BR>That time is also the bad for weather because of the tropical storms and hurricanes. If you are a gambling man then go for it or at least stick with the ABC islands that fall out of the hurricane belt. We lucked out and had a tropical storm right before and after our week.<BR>Bermuda might be a great choice. It can be pricey but its the best time to go.<BR><BR>Good luck<BR>JK

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 04:02 AM
Penney

We tend to go to the Caribbean inthe summer months as I am off then. It is hurricane season but we have been very lucky in that we have never had a problem with the weather. It does tend to rain for a spell in the afternoons but cools things a tad. IT is more humid however and much hotter. <BR><BR>Aruba and islands near are under the hurricane belt so less chance of horrible weather.<BR><BR>To side track - what beaches on the east coast have you visited? We visit the islands off S.C.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 05:01 AM
Tom

Penny, we are from Connecticut and have done Cape Cod, Jersey Shore, outer Banks of N.C. (our favorite) and many Florida beaches. We have never been to South Carolina, although i always have wanted to see Charleston and Savannah, GA.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 10:06 AM
Peter

Does anybody have any comments about the weather in Cuba in June, in particular with respect to tropical storms? I understand hurricane season begins June 1. Thanks.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 10:23 AM
Lyn

You don't have to go down into the Caribbean to experience hurricanes. We were in Panama City Beach, Florida in 1995 and weathered hurricane Erin...not a fun experience but I will say it was adventureous. Last year a tropical storm came to Destin, FL the day after we left. So, I think it's hit or miss no matter where you go in the hurricane belt. And though the Caribbean is definitely warmer in the summer I'd still take it over anywhere on the east coast anytime. The beaches on the east coast just don't compare to the Caribbean beaches.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 01:11 PM
Gail

We've been going to OB for years and love it, but spent a week in STT in July and it was great! Because of the winds it doesn't get nearly as "sticky" as Corolla, esp. during the day, but the sun is much more intense! Only other issue aside from Hurricaines is bugs- Not worse than OB but every thing is more open- restaurants, bars etc. so you do need some protection from no seeums.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 02:18 PM
Penney

Funny you mentioned both Charleston and Savannah - we usually go to Seabrooke Island outside of Charleston but this year we are headed to Fripp Island outside of Savannah - belive it is between Savannah and Hilton Head. If you like the outter banks, you should try Seabrooke sometime or Kiawah (more family geared) Beaches are wonderful and no crowds. Truely beautiful.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 03:27 PM
jackie

I went to Turks and Caicos in July. I thought it would be very hot, but the price was right and we went. The weather was great, if it got too hot we jumped in the water and cooled off. It rained every afternoon and cooled things down somewhat. Some evenings got very muggy and the AC was absolutely necessary, but all in all I remember the the weather being great.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 03:50 PM
lisa

Everyone has mentioned the hurricane season. When does it end? Would early November be a better time to go to the Carribean? What is the weather like then?

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 07:28 PM
Anonymous

Hurricane season is technically June through November with the peak months being August and September.