Car Rental

Old May 4th, 2003, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Rental

Is a 4 wheel drive vehicle recommended or will an economy car do?
Old May 4th, 2003, 06:14 PM

Where are you going to be driving in the Caribbean? Location makes a BIG!!!!difference as to what your vehicle requirements would be.Glad to offer advice when I know.
Old May 4th, 2003, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, I meant to post the message under St Maarten. Will be staying at La Vista
Old May 7th, 2003, 07:06 PM

We recently rented a Corolla in St. Martin (Grand Case). It was fine for the main roads - you don't need to take the back roads at all. Some streets are quite narrow. They also warn you not to leave anything in your car unattended. We reserved from Kenny's in advance. He was terrific.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 06:00 AM

Agree with Nancy1. We have used Kenny's Car Rental. He picks you up at the airport, does the paperwork and you are on your way in less than 10 minutes.
He will meet you at airport upon return, check the car, sign the bill and you are off. Prices are good also.
Most of the Hertz type places, pick you up in a van, take you to their office, etc. etc. When you come out of the luggage area, Kenny or one of his employee will be there with a sign with your name on it.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 05:05 PM

I found that a regular car is fine for getting around. The main roads are pretty good, although a bit narrow. Secondary roads can have potholes. You can get around to all the main locations on the island by the main and secondary roads (some locations require a drive on dirt roads, but they're not too bad).
Old May 24th, 2003, 12:07 PM

I've rented from virtually all of of the agencies in SXM, and have found Best Deal Car Rental to be the best (they're on line). I've been using them for a couple of years now and am still very satisfied. And, yes, your average economy car will be fine.

Just be sure to check the gas gauge first thing, since some agencies like to give you an empty car, and the filling stations can be far and few between.