Cap - Romantic Rendezous

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 04:21 PM
anonymous

Cap - Romantic Rendezous

Anyone staying at Cap every book the Romantic Rendezous package?
If so how was it?

How did the car rental, included with the package work? Did you pick the rental place? Was the car delivered to you?

Please be detailed and specific.

Thanks.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 07:37 AM
gab

Just got back from there on Sunday. We did the RR package and thought it worked out well.

Having four dinners at the hotel was good, as we still had a chance to get out and explore other restaurants on the remaining evenings. Went to Straw Hat, Altamer, and Mango's, and would recommend them all in that order. It was nice to have the four dinners at the hotel as well, as you didn't wind up spending extra money on taxis (never less than $12 each way, even to a restaurant that's pretty close to the hotel), and the food at CJ was plenty good. At CJ, we ate at George's one night (for their weekly beach BBQ), Pimms one night, and Kemia the other two. It's good to try all three and then return on your 4th night to the one you liked best.

We ate at George's every day for lunch, except for the day we rented the car, when we drove to Scilly Cay and dined there (highly recommended!).

It was good to have a car for a day, but I don't think you'd need it longer than that. You simply tell the concierge at the hotel that you want to rent a car and she arranges it. A person from the rental car place comes to your room at whatever time you stipulate. The car isn't so free, as you have to pay $20 for a temporary Anguilla driver's license and also $16 for gas (you prepay for half a tank). But like I said, it was good to have a car for the day, driving was no big deal, and it was certainly cheaper than taxis would have been. To return the car, you simply give the keys to the concierge at the hotel, and someone comes by later to pick it up.

We didn't go on the snorkeling trip included with the package because I'm pregnant and we were concerned about the bounciness of the boat on the water. Instead, the hotel gave us two lunch vouchers at George's, which worked out great for us since we were eating there anyway.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 09:16 AM
anonymous

Gab - Thank you for the reply. I just want to ask you some questions.

We don't want the snorkeling either b/c my fiance can't swim. Did you request the two lunch vouchers instead of the snorkeling or did the hotel just give them to you as compensation? Did this happen when you arrived or did you request this before?

Car rental:
So, all you paid was 36 US$ for the car rental?
The car only came 1/2 full? Did you have to get a refill, if so how much did that cost? Did you have to return the car with a full tank?(this is the case in the US)

What room did you stay in?
Did the hotel give you your room assignment before arrival?
How accomodating was the hotel staff in your specifications for room & location?
What room and location do you suggest?

I know I am asking alot, but I am planning to go for my Honeymoon. I don't like surprises, so I want to be as prepared as possible with as much details as possible.
Basically, I want to know the ends and outs before I get there.

Thanks.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 09:36 AM
anonymous

Sorry, one more question.

Did you choose the car rental agency or did the resort? What car rental agency was it?

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Kat

Regarding the 1/2-tank of gas -- it's a VERY small island (16 miles long, three miles wide). The top speed limit is 40 mph or so.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 12:39 PM
anonymous

Didn't do the package. Rented car through Cap Juluca consierge staff. $20 license fee ($21 if put on cc). Car arrived with full tank and returned with same. No precharges for gas. Cheapest may be Uncle Ernies' at $25 a day including insurance. Just watch out for the sleeping policmen!

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 02:36 PM
anonymous

who did you rent the car from? (that didn't precharge you for gas)

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 02:43 PM
gab

Hi. I'm back with my responses.

Going into it, I thought I'd be doing the snorkeling; but after noticing the wind at this time of year and the many white caps, my husband and I became uneasy about my happiness on the boat, not to mention my safety, being 5 months pregnant. So no, we didn't decide till we were down there not to do it. The day before we were scheduled to go on the trip, we approached the concierge and told them of our worries, and they said no problem. Then they suggested one lunch at George's, in exchange. We were happy to get anything in exchange, so we said yes. A little while later, the concierge called us in our room asking if we'd prefer to have a dinner voucher instead, as the cost of the snorkeling trip was worth more than one lunch. At that point, my husband proposed two lunches instead, as we already had the rest of our dinners planned out, and they were amenable to that.

In any case, I'm sure you could wait till you get there to discuss your situation with the concierge. I don't think they'd give you any trouble.

I believe that the price for the car rental was what I described, unless I'm forgetting some extra fee. The car was given to us with 3/4 of a tank of gas, and we certainly didn't use the 1/2 tank that we paid for, even driving to Scilly Cay and back and then out to the Straw Hat later. I can't imagine you'd use up the 1/2 tank either in just one day. The island just ain't that big. No, we didn't have to return the car with any additional gas, as we had already prepaid for the 1/2 tank, which, like I said, we didn't even use up.

We stayed in villa 7, room 5, which was on the upper level. We had reserved a Superior room, but hadn't requested a specific villa, as I believe they won't honor requests like that anyway. Our travel agent requested an upgrade for us in advance, and because the resort wasn't totally full, they were able to upgrade us to Luxury upon our arrival. They couldn't guarantee the availability of an upgrade in advance, so it was a nice surprise to get it. The room was fabulous, and we liked the location, which was about in the middle of the villas and right next to George's.

As to preferred location among the villas, I'm sure I'd have been happy anywhere. It did seem less busy as you got away from the main building, which is situated next to villa 1. The beach down by villas 1-4 seemed more busy than down by us, with "busy" being a relative term--it's not like being on the beach at the Jersey Shore or anything. But then again, if you're in one of the lower numbered villas, you're closer to Pimms and Kemia, the other two restaurants, as well as the gym and the water sports equipment. However, the whole beach there is only 3/4 mile long, so it's not a long walk. And if you don't feel like walking to dinner, you can call the front desk and someone will come pick you up in one of the golf-cart type vehicles. We did this a couple of times because my sandals had given me blisters.

Okay. Hope that answers all of your questions--I understand the need to be prepared. I'm that way, too. But feel free to ask away if there's more you need to know.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 05:21 PM
anonymous

I maybe wrong but I thought the #5 rooms in the villa was the one with the private sunning deck. The disadvantage, if you want to call it that, is that 7 is adjacent to George's and you would hear the music and activity from there since it is right next door.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 05:44 PM
xxx

I think the 2 free drinks from Pimms may have blurred your memeory...or was it the liquid protein diet?

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Ashley

Gab or Anonymous Honeymooner- did you do an airfare/land package through someone or book separately on your own? What airline and itinerary did you go with and how much was your airfare? I've been watching American Airlines and it's been around $800 from Indpls. to St. Martin... Any better rates out there? Thanks!

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 08:20 PM
anonymous

Thanks alot gab!!!
Congrats on your pregnacy too.

Ashley, I did everything myself.
I checked with the hotel for rates for the RR package and then I just watched the airlines for the best airfare.
The best I saw was from AA going from NY - SJ - Anguilla. The rate was $458 (tax included) per person. I assume that is a great deal.

Although, if Gab got an upgrade by going through a travel agent, that seems like a good advantage. I am going to see if I can work out getting an upgrade as well.

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Anon

Gab - Was the "upgrade" they gave you free or did you have to pay for it. Thanks!

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 11:07 AM
anon

They gave her an upgrade. Superior rooms are lower floor only, and not many. The Superior room also can serve as a sitting room for the patio suites-rooms 1 and 2! I think they are in villas 1-10. So requesting an upstairs might have given her the upgrade, as there are more luxury rooms vs luxury!

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 09:25 AM
gab

The upgrade was free, requested in advance by my travel agent. As I said, I didn't know whether or not we'd get it till we arrived, so we were pleasantly surprised.

Yes, our #5 room did have a 2nd deck, which was above the first one and completely private.

Also, regarding being next to George's, it was no disadvantage. The music there goes only until 9:30, and I don't think we were ever back from dinner before then, so it didn't disturb us. I suppose if you were to choose to dine on your patio, the music might affect you. But the odds of doing that seem slim, unless you're immune to mosquitoes. And there's no way you'd hear any other sort of "activity" at George's.

We flew on AA from Newark to Anguilla via SJ. We used frequent flier miles, but I recall seeing prices at about $500 back when we were first planning the trip, which must have been in November.