T & C jelly fish in may?

Feb 10th, 2002, 01:49 PM
snorkler

T & C jelly fish in may?

have heard that they are a big problem in Turks & Caicos in may. is this true? anybody with experience about them? avid snorkler

Feb 11th, 2002, 05:26 AM
'fraid of sharks

are there sharks there if they are in the bahamas? f

Feb 11th, 2002, 08:50 AM
xx

This is true, but there are problems with jellyfish and sea lice in most of the Caribbean from around April until August. May and June are peak season. It is an annual pheonomenon. You need to be very careful and stay out of the water if it is a problem. Some people have a worse reaction than others. I was stung HORRIBLY by button jellyfish in Providenciales in 2000--about 500 stings around my neck. Needless to say, it ruined my vacation. We had to come home 3 days early. Got to see the medical facilities in TCI, though. Nice doctor.

Feb 11th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Carib Fan

We always go to the Caribbean late April, early May. In thirty some trips I have seen the button jellies twice. Once in Grand Cayman where I was stung badly and in 2000 in Provo. However, in 2000 Provo, I was there in JUNE!

Sea lice? Never encountered them.

2000 was also a bad year for regular jellies as well.

Feb 11th, 2002, 09:45 AM
CnSand

Jellies are seasonal problems in areas at different times and species. Depends on water temp. Also some beaches may have them and others not on some islands depending on currents. Often in Fall is the peak further south in the Caribbean but did run into some in T& C even in early December. try www/fau.edu/safe/sea-lice.html