Cap Juluca vs CuisinArt...again

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2006, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know, I know this thread has been seen over and over and from reading most, if not all, of them I've come to the conclusion that it is really a matter of personal opinions and that at either resorts you can't go wrong...BUT I still want to clarify a few points:
1) Why is it that on tripadvisor Cap Juluca seems to get a bad rap while CuisinArt gets all good reviews? on this board people that have been to CJ all seemed to have enjoyed it very much, I'm a bit puzzled by that...
2) I am a stay at home mom with 3 kids who is looking to get away with DH for the 1st week of December. Don't get me wrong, I love kids, I just shivered when I read reviews about kids runnig around freely in the dining room at CA...is that a major issue at that resort?
3) We love great food and great wine
4) We are beach people, we have a pool at home so we could not care less about resort pools
5) Traveling in Dec, what's the weather like in Anguilla? I've read about windy beaches at CA is that common?
6) We want a clean room , I've also read on tripadvisor that the rooms at CJ are outdated...but are they clean? and what does it mean "outdated", is it another "snobish" comment?
well, keep your comments/suggestions coming, I justwant to make the most of my decision!!!
Old May 31st, 2006, 10:03 AM

I'll try to answer some of your questions:

1) Trip Advisor reviews are often very varied. Many are written by people who like to complain or who's experience doen't meet their expectations. I've been to both and perfer CJ over CA, but that's me. Others will have a different opinion. The only thing you can do is read the reports and try to decide for yourself the level of accuracy.
2. Nowadays you are going to encounter children at most any resort (too many yuppie parents want quality time with their little darlings). Whether or not there will be any "problem children" at the resort the week or so you are there is anybody's guess. I've never encountered any mis-behaving children on any of my mulitple visits to either resort.
3) You'll fine very good food and excellent wines at both resorts but why limit yourself to dining at one particular resort? Anguilla has over 80 different restaurants, many are among the finest in the Caribbean. Plan to "dine around" the island during your stay. You'll experience great foor and wine.
4) The beach is better at CJ but, here again, there are 35 beaches on Anguilla. You should visit more than just one or two.
5) Go to www.weatherbase.com for weather statistics for the island. On average daytime temps will usually be in the low 80's. The tradewinds usually begin to stir in late December (known as Christmas winds). Your dealing with Mother Nature here so making any type of prediction for the 1st week in December is next to mpossible.
6) Rooms at CJ are clean (they have twice daily maid service. As for being "dated" the rooms are nice but not spectacularly furnished.

As for deciding which resort is better - that's purly a personal decision. Unless you are the type of person who thinks the grass is always greener on the otherside of the fence I doubt you'd be disappointed with either resort.
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:48 AM
ALR

On your second question, the number of kids at Cuisinart seems to depend on whether it's a school break. Sometimes there are very few; other times it is overrun. The resort is compact, so when it's full, it feels very full.
Cap Juluca markets to couples. There is a period of the year during high season when kids under a certain age are not allowed at the resort unless they are staying in one of the bigger villas. You'd have to check with the hotel on the specifics; it's not on their web page but is printed on the reservation acknowledgement. If your trip falls in this time period, kids should not be an issue there.
It's hard to know the answer to your first question. Many of the same posters post on both forums, but may not post the same answer on both. The hotels have different personalities and feel to them. I'm not convinced that forum postings give you a balanced ranking of hotels. Not everyone posts on travel forums.
Another consideration is rates. In the past, Cuisinart has offered lower rates than the other two hotels. For next season they've increased their room rates competitively with the other two hotels on the island and it will be interesting to see if that changes how people feel about the hotels comparatively.
Personally, I stay at both hotels (just booked CJ for the 10th time and have stayed at Cuisinart 4 times) depending on who I'm going with and whether there's a big difference in rates.
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your accurate responses...I have to admit I've been leaning a little bit closer to CJ....)
Thanks!!!
Old May 31st, 2006, 01:01 PM

I haven't stayed at either but I have wined and dined and beached at both on any number of occasions. Cap's beach is better, period. I love Rendezvous Bay (Cuisi) but it can be windy in front of the resort and the sand kicks up there. Cap's beach is spectacularly calm -- just gorgeous!
Old May 31st, 2006, 01:50 PM

Without kids, you need CJ. Also, even if there are waves at CA, they are less waves at CJ. CJ always seems to be calm. If the winds do pick up, go to the stunning beaches on the other side, such as Shoal Bay. CA is more kid friendly and accepts them. CJ tries to discourage kids.
so pick CJ.
Old May 31st, 2006, 01:54 PM

I have found that on tripadvisor the number of bad reviews is in direct proportion to the prices. High prices = high expectations and some places don't seem to meet the expectations those prices produce. That being said, there are certain high end places that seem to get a lot of mixed reviews and when I see that, it concerns me as I have found tripadvisor to be very reliable. There are several places that have been on my wish list that are getting such a high percentage of poor reviews that I just won't risk it. When I see almost all good and one bad review, then it is most likely the individual. If I see lots of negative reviews, it's a warning sign. Cap, Four Seasons Exuma, Four Seasons Nevis, Jumby Bay are all places on my list that I have put on hold until the reviews improve or I have determined are just not for me based on the reviews. There are too many places with mostly glowing reviews (Peter Island, Four Seasons Costa Rica, Nisbet Plantation, Jamaica Inn to name a few) that I want to try. I think CuisinArt has been a better value to people than Cap based on price and I am willing to be the reviews will be more negative now that they are charging more!
Old May 31st, 2006, 02:50 PM

eileen: you need to put Cap and Exumas back on your list. Who cares if they are not perfect, they are perfect to me. 8-)
PS, I'm actually an "expert" on TA, so you can see, it takes all kinds of people.
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:51 PM

I was just at CusinArt. I found the staff to be very 'snotty' with huge atitude.
The resort isn't as old as Cap.But, I would do Cap.If I had it to do over again.The beach is better there anyway.
I just couldn't get over the pretenious stuff at CusinArt.Just how I saw it..
Enjoy wherever you decide to go!
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:08 PM
Ike

My wife and I were at CJ on 5/10/06 for 6 nights......I read the TA reviews and worried myself. I almost changed to Mallihouna but I said to hell with it and stayed with my original choice. I have been reading about CJ for 10 years or so and always wanted to go. I was not disappointed. The resort is beautiful and the staff is very friendly. The food is outstanding but please do dine around at Mango's, Blanchard's, Straw Hat, et al. We had great meals around the island. I was happy with our room which was in the 2nd building on the ground floor. It was very clean but nothing spectacular. You have to learn to love the location, beach, scenery, food and service. I could not have asked for more. Enjoy yourself.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you (again) for all your (reassuring) words. It is true that the more you pay the more expectations you have. That being said, maybe the fact that I'm a stay at home mom, I'm just happy being "served" I don't care if personnel is not wearing white gloves !!
I have looked into Peter Island and was just about ready to book, the only thing that bothered me was "getting there", form Montréal it seemed like such a hassle, whereas flying into St Marteen and taxiing into Anguilla seemed much more feasable.
Also, I like the fact that we will be able to get out of the resort and try different restaurants.
The more I think about it the more CJ seems to fit our bill.
How far in advance to you think we should book? (travel dates: Dec 1st to 8th 2006)
Thanks again!!
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 06:32 AM
Ike

3littlepeas....If you are flying out of Montreal then drive over to Auberge Hatley when they rebuild and spend a nice weekend. It's one of the finest small hotels in NA but it burned recently. The owner is rebuilding.

Go ahead and book your trip to AXA now. Fly to SXM and take a boat to AXA arranged by CJ which is the best way to get there. Good luck.

Bon Appetit.