CAP JULUCA

Feb 19th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

CAP JULUCA

I am planning a trip to Cap Juluca for next June (2005). How far in advance does this property book up? Should I go ahead and consider booking now? If not, how long can I reasonably wait before I risk not getting a room? Thanks for your help.
Feb 19th, 2004, 01:00 PM

Cap just gets more and more popular, so its hard to say. If you have a specific date, room catagory, booking a year ahead cannot hurt. The deposit is fully refundable up to 30 days prior to your reservation.
Feb 19th, 2004, 01:52 PM

June is traditionally a slow month.
We went in June of last year and there was probably 40-50% occupancy.
On the other hand, as Penny said, no reason not to put down a deposit a year in advance sine it's refundable.
Feb 19th, 2004, 03:53 PM

I just got last minute reservations for the middle of May this year, they are almost full. I got the last available junior suite booking. I really did not have any choice of dates etc. So you never know. I tried for luxury, patiosuite--yes the pool suite is available for one week in late May. Sssooooo you just never know!
Feb 24th, 2004, 03:15 PM

Penny: Let me ask you a questions about the different room catagories. Last July at CJ, we were in #V12-3 the first night because we arrived very late. We loved the solarium bathroom and the view from the porch was lovely, but no pool.
The next day we transferred to our reserved room, #V17-3 (private pool villa). It was awesome to have the pool and privacy all to ourselves. One may ask why a pool when you have such a gorgeous beach....well, let's just say it was nice for private swimming! The living room was lovely (just exactly like the photo in the brochure), but the bedroom and bathroom was quite disappointing. The bathroom was a large square room with a no big deal tub and shower or windows, unlike the solarium bathroom. And, maybe I'm being too picky, but I thought the linens were very "Holiday Inn" quality. It just seems with the popularity of upscale amenities, this would be a MUST for CJ. What are your thoughts on this?
So, here's my question; of all the different rooms types you've stayed in at CJ, which do you prefer and have you stayed in one with a pool and did you have to share it? I am almost certain you have answered this before, but I can't seem to find your reply.
Feb 24th, 2004, 04:14 PM

I loved reading your comments about the pool villa! I was disappointed in the bathroom, bedroom and closet area. I enjoyed the pool, the whole "apartment" was very nice. The pool villa is not shared with anyone(other guests), the two lower floor luxury rooms will not have use of the pool. I think we were in villa 15. As far as the linens, they have changed them, nice white duvet covers instead of spreads. I think they upgraded the sheets too. My favorite room is the junior suite. We tend to stay in villa 2-or 3 as my husband likes the wide beach at the east end, and late sun. Its been a few years since we were in villa 11 or 12.
As I mentioned I just booked for May, as our time is flexible, I even tried for the patio suite, it use to be my ace, now its always booked. I really did not have much of date choice, could have booked the pool suite as it was available for one week, but I prefer a lower floor room. Those seagulls, and bright morning sun, wake us up! No kidding!
Feb 24th, 2004, 04:46 PM

Me, too. I have really enjoyed talking to you. I think we have actually talked about CJ a few years ago.
BTW, they must of just changed the type of bedding because in July they still had the mediocre bedspreads. (I'm a stickler for 400+ count and doubled top sheets) As far as your comment about the sea gulls and sun waking you up, that was not a problem...our room was like a cave with closed shutters. Yes, being able to walk right out your room to the beach is a big plus, but, to be honest, the walk down the short path wasn't too bad.
P.S. I met the Straw Hat owner's wife at George's for lunch and she was darling AND beautiful. After driving forever looking for Straw Hat we finally found it to only be disappointed it didn't serve lunch!
Have you ever known anyone to stay at Altamer? Their villas sound fabulous, but a little out of our $$ range. We loved the ambiance of the restaurant, would love to own some of their silver pieces!!
Which patio suite do you prefer?
Feb 25th, 2004, 04:10 AM

If I recall, they just upgraded the linens when they closed for a few weeks in September. They keep changing the bath gel too, sometimes its Molton Brown, the next Bvlgari! The only patio suite we had (3 times) was in villa 4. Its really a combination of the lower
end room, and center. So one is a bedroom, the other a living room, you get 2 patios, 2 bars (both full) and what I like the most is 2 bathrooms!!! BTW we were in villa 12-3, nice room, then they moved us to the pool suite! I must say I missed that room!

Altamer does look amazing. No, I have never toured the villas, nor do I know anyone who stayed there--except
that the famous couple Brad and Jen, hung out in front of Trattoria, as their beach was rocky. We love it for
lunch, the view is wonderful, most times we are the only ones there. I know what you mean about the silver-I adore the embossed fish on the fish knife! I wonder how many of them end up in a purse! Probably not many, as they would never get thru the airport. Yet, I have to believe some disappear!!

Yes, Peter's wife is lovely, the ladies-
quite a few, were having a baby shower
luncheon at Trattoria. Lots of restaurant owners etc. frequent the local spots, Georges is one!

One of these days I am going to try
Covecastles, as its so peaceful. They have a new spectacular villa--The Point.
Its the only one with a/c-also out of my price range!! Now Temanos is were my fantasy vacation would be!
Feb 25th, 2004, 05:44 AM

Hi Penny,
Just read your response, and am curious, Where is Temanos? You mentined it is a fantasy of yours, can you fill in the details?!! I do enjoy your posts, about cj and of course others. We leave for cj in 6 weeks, and like to read all the posts for pre vacation excitement!!
Thanks
Feb 25th, 2004, 07:31 AM

Ditto on Temanos....now talk about fantasy. I actually spoke to their rep. while in Anquilla. I was suppose to receive a brochure, but never did, now that I think about it. I also spoke to the owner of Altamer. Lovely lady....she was willing to negotiate a rate during the summer weeks, but still a little $$ for only 2 people. I guess we could ask another couple or two, but I'm too selfish and want the time alone! BTW, did you know you can actually order the silver from Altamers?
We had one of favorite dinners at Blanchards.
Feb 25th, 2004, 08:03 AM

Temenos-www.temenosvillas.com

Its a 3 villa complex, built by
one of the orginal backers of CJ, and current backer of the new golf course.
The villas were featured in Architectural Digest, Town & County.
They have fabulous bathrooms. They
over look Long Bay, they are on the road
right next to Olivers.

I had heard that some of the very high end villas, Altamer would lower extremely expensive rate for 2! At one time it was on luxury link.Katiekate-do you remember the quote. Also just saw it featured in a local magazine,
Westchester Life.

This next trip I plan to go back to Blanchards. I also want to try Indigo.

Vestke-sure I rememember your posts- you leave in 6 weeks, lucky you.
I had planned to go mid April, I am just hoping we can get there in May!
If May gets canceled, I will try for June!
PS-Cap has a new boat Pretty Woman!
Feb 25th, 2004, 09:25 AM

Thanks for the info Penny! WOW-Temenos does look incredible. I suppose that would fulfill a fantasy vacation for sure! Sure hope you get to return when you want to this spring. We did book the private boat charter, so maybe we will be on the new boat! I am really looking forward to our trip! Thanks again. Carol
Feb 25th, 2004, 12:49 PM

We went to Cap last June for our wedding/honeymoon and booked in early April and they were filling up fast! Given how many honeymooners we saw there and how popular Cap has become, I would say that June is no longer a traditionally slow month.
Feb 25th, 2004, 01:58 PM

Penny: I'm curious...do you travel primarily to the Caribbean? Ever travel to Mexico or French Polynesia? I enjoy reading your posts and have been to some of the same places. Have you ever rented a private villa/home on any of these islands?
Sorry, I can't remember the price at Altamer, maybe just 10-20% off during the low season. If I remember correctly, it was the same price Luxury Link offered.
While having dinner at Oliver's I found out about Tamanos....don't I wish!

When we were there in early July, the waters were too choppy so we didn't get to do the boat thing and I truly regret it. That is really the only way to "see" the Sea and the beautiful colors.
Feb 25th, 2004, 02:17 PM

Hi Katiekate...

I have been reading your thread on the US board re your daughter's "Sweet 16".

I keep searching to see what you have decided !

So...does your very lucky daughter get to go to NYC or to Anguilla ?

Penny is an expert on both locations ;-)....but I'm not sure she posts on the US board ??

Let us know where you are going
Feb 25th, 2004, 04:30 PM

Lee12: April is high season, June is low season.
Doesn't mean Cap can't fill up in June, but in early June of 2003 they weren't too full.
Feb 25th, 2004, 04:33 PM

Ooops....guess I should have read your WHOLE post. You booked in April for a June stay. Hmmmm....wonder why the swing in occupancy in the same month.
Were you there over both a weekend and weekdays?
Feb 25th, 2004, 05:37 PM

Just booked Cap for late July/early August about a week ago (over the phone) but still haven't received confirmation notice from the hotel via email (though my credit card has been charged for the deposit). Should I be worried about my reservation?

Thanks!
Feb 25th, 2004, 05:41 PM

MarionCK: I have so enjoyed the NY thread. I just love this forum. I haven't made any decisions regarding NY because we can't seem to find a date. (daughter is very involved in high school activites) We may have to wait until school is out. But, I promise to send a report.
And, no, Anguilla is for hubby and me, only! Where do you like to travel. And, what locations is Penny an expert on?
Feb 26th, 2004, 04:01 AM

Wow this is an interesting thread! Katiekate, we spend too much time in the caribbean, as its very easy to get to from NYC area. I would love to try French Polynesia-now thats a long trip. I have looked into Mexico, Maroma looks
interesting, also I have met many Rosewood fans at Jumby who adore their Mexico (name escapes me at the moment)resort! At one point our goal was to visit every caribbean island! Have you been. I would love to hear your thoughts. Almost planned a short trip this spring back to Oahu, went years ago, we have family living there for a few months. Time is not on our side!

Hi Marion, its nice to see your posts.
On my next Anguilla trip I want to check out Rendezvous's beach front rooms. I love the old Anguilla atmosphere! I will get there for lunch again! Bart is a gem!

Katiekate, I live in the NYC area! I adore The Plaza area of the city, as that is where I had many special times as a child ( carrige rides, zoo in the park), even spent the first night of my honeymoon at the hotel. Always met friends for Christmas season lunch. Now I am out of the loop for a 16 year old. New York has so many choices, and the downtown area has come alive. I recently went back to "21", famous faces-Tony Randall, and another table the soap star Susuan Lucci! I did get to the Sex and the City spot -Town restaurant. Anyhow I will post any other thoughts on the US thread. I could help you with hotels in London!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO