Cap J vs. Malliouhana vs. Cuisinart

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok- we're planning our honeymoon trip to Anguilla for this November. These 3 hotels are the top contenders. We are looking for great beach, rooms, privacy for the $. What is our best bet?
Thanks!
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:23 AM

If the cost is either no object or the rates you are getting are similar - it being low season, you will be getting the best rates at all three - I would most definitely go with Cap Juluca.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 05:55 AM

Take a good look at rates. My wife and I are about to book for November and we are going to book Cuisinart. They have Jr. suites for $275 per night if you stay at least 5 nights. The best Cap Juluca can do are rooms/suites/villas from $445 - $665 with the 7th night free if you stay for 6 nights. That is a very big difference. Malliouhana is priced like Cap Juluca. I am told that the beach at Malliouhana is not comparable to Cuisinart or Cap Juluca and that the crowd at Malliouhana may be a little older. I am told that Cuisinart's spa is better than Cap Juluca's, but Cap Juluca has the opportunity for a bit more seclusion than Cuisinart (however, look at the room types. The Cuisinart Jr. Suite for $275 is over 900 Sq. ft. with a semi-private terrace big enough for a breakfast table and two lounge chairs, overlooking the beach and looking straight across at St. Maarten. I think $445 at Cap Juluca does not get you anything like that). If you go through reviews and message boards, both Cuisinart and Cap Juluca get very high marks and it is rare to find anyone who really does not like them. Some people seem to like Cuisinart better and some seem to prefer Cap Juluca. I have looked at this pretty carefully and determined that when price and the accomodations it buys you are factored in, there is really no doubt -- Cuisinart is the obvious choice for us. However, this is your honeymoon so if you decide you would really prefer Cap Juluca and you can afford the rates, do what you really want. Honeymoon's are not the time for compromise unless you have to!
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 06:37 AM

There is a reason Cap Juluca is priced the way it is.
It sells out at those prices.
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade who loves CuisinArt, but having been to all three resorts on Anguilla (biased since we stayed at CJ) I can say with confidence that CJ offers advantages the other 2 simply can't...namely the beach.
Why do people go to Anguilla?
It's the beaches and the food.
The food is great all over the island, so no one resort has a big advantage there.
But when it comes to beaches, CJ is far better than Malli or CA. The beach is crescent shaped, long, quiet, unspoiled, rock-free, and the setting offers spectacular views.
On most other islands Malli and CA would be tops.
But on Anguilla, nothing beats CJ for beach quality, views and serenity.

That's what people are paying for there.

As for CuisinArt's upsides, it has much prettier grounds than CJ or Malli, and its pool area is beautiful. It's a very well run resort by all accounts.
But there's a reason it's always being discounted, too. CA can't fill its rooms at the same prices that CJ can.
That's the market speaking.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 07:39 AM

all of those resorts are top notch.
you would be happy at any one of them.
The beach at Malliouhana is absolutely beautiful. I am not sure why the previous poster said it wasn't. Malliouhana is on Mead's Bay which is gorgeous.. actually I think that beach is nicer than than the C.J. or Cusinart beaches..
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 07:58 AM

I cannot argue with TedTurner since he has actually been to all 3. I have never been to Anguilla so his opinion certainly trumps me! I really do not know which resort is preferable between Cuisinart and Cap Juluca. I have gone through many reviews and various message boards and while there is a split on preference, I think Cap Juluca comes out ahead of Cuisinart in the majority of the postings. As for the beach, I have not seen them but the stuff I have read seems to place both Cap Juluca and Cuisinart well above Malli. If price was comparable, I would certainly consider Cap Juluca. However, when you include tax and service, a luxury room at Cap Juluca would cost me more than $1,200 more for 6 nights (the amount of time I am going for) than a Jr. Suite at Cuisinart, which is 200 sq. feet larger (although that does not necessarily mean nicer -- the luxury rooms on the Cap Juluca website look well laid out and beautiful). That is 60% more. From what I have read, there is nowhere near that kind of disparity between the resorts. I agree that Cuisinart is obviously trying to build a clientele, but it is the newest of the big 3 (although they have now been open for 4.5 years). Malli also charges like Cap Juluca but I have not found many reviews or postings that place it above Cuisinart, so I am not quite sure what all that really means. However, I maintain that for Honeymooners, do not settle based on price unless you have to. If you think Cap Juluca is perfect for you and you have the money, spend it and get what you absolutely want.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 08:06 AM

I, also felt the beach at Mead's Bay was spectacular and the best.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 08:18 AM

TedTurner has said it all. I might add
that its an excellent analysis! I have stayed at all 3!!! Cap is my first choice!
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 08:35 AM

I guess since all of you have been to Anguilla, I should take advantage of your expertise. My wife and I are going in mid-November for 6 nights (a little break from being Monm and Dad!). We are in our early forties. As I have said, Cap would cost us $1,220 more for the 6 nights than Cuisinart. This is calculated on a luxury room at Cap, as opposed to a Jr. Suite at Cuisinart (we would not spring for a private villa at Cap). What do you think?
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 09:17 AM

Just was in Anguilla last week and stayed on Meads Bay at Frangipani. Mead's Bay is absolutely beautiful and my favorite beach on the island.

Just a word of advice for planning your first Anguilla trip -- DO NOT go for any packages that include meals. Even though you may be tempted, you'll really miss out. The best restaurants on the island are not at the big 3 and you'll really miss out by eatting at the hotels. I've eatten at CJ and CA and the restaurants are OK but not nearly as good as the others on the island.

Just my 2 cents.

Enjoy!!!
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Sunnyboy

TO: Laura - I've been a repeat guest at CJ several times and regard it as one of the best overall resorts in the Caribbean. I've visited, but not stayed, at the other two. To me the three resorts are failrly comparable and I don't think any reasonable minded person would be disappointed in either one. I realize that being it's your honeymoon you want things to be "just perfect" but the truth is if you are on a honeymoon whichever one you select will be "perfect" - after all you'll be their with your new husband - what more do you need. Make it easy on yourself, pick the place that best suits your budget and to paraphase an old adage "Don't worry if the palm trees look greener at the resorts". You won't be missing anything and you won't be disappointed.

Old Jun 10th, 2004, 11:08 AM

Good advice and input from Sunnyboy and islandbeachangel.
To Europewithkids: I think it's very important to remember the impact budget has on the level of enjoyment of any vacation (even for honeymoons). I've found from past personal experience, and I frequently read similar comments at Fodor's, that if one has to stretch the travel budget to the limits of what's comfortable, then expectations become so high that any manner of disappointment tends to quickly diminish the quality of the trip (that's been my experience anyway). If people pay more than they'd like to, then they subconsciously (or consciously) raise their expectations significantly most of the time. Some resorts/experiences will suprpass expectations and all is well. But expectations are not always met either.

As noted by most everyone above, the 3 top Anguillian resorts are all great. It's the unusual person who will be frankly disappointed with one of them.
But inevitably comparisons will be made.

My advice to people who would be compromising or stretching their budgets to stay someplace like Cap Juluca is: don't do it. I think that's a set up for disappointment.

As for the reasons I think Cap's beach is superior to Mead's Bay Beach, the water on the Malli side (the Atlantic Ocean side) is rougher, colder, deeper, and darker in color. Cap's beach is on the Caribbean side which is shallower, warmer, clearer and prettier blue. The sand at Cap was softer, the waves quieter. And the view from Cap's beach is that of the island of St. Martin/Maarten, with its green mountains. At night the lights of Marigot twinkle across the water. Malli's beach overlooks the ocean only.
Not everyone appreciates the same things. That's my view, though.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 11:46 AM

TedTurner, you are a very wise man.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 12:10 PM

I live in St maarten. I go to Anguilla with our boat almost every weekend.
the truth is that all Anguilla's beaches are gorgeous.
Mead's Bay while maybe on the Atlantic side is NOT:
"the water on the Malli side (the Atlantic Ocean side) is rougher, colder, deeper, and darker in color"
Both side have beautiful Caribbean color blue seas. Both sides can be a little rough depending on the weather, but both sides are usually calm. We anchor in the water below Malli all the time and the water is calm and clear and a beautiful turquoise color.
the view on the C.J. side is spectacular though as Sunnyboy says.
I think the original poseter should look into what are the best prices he/she can get and go with that. Neither one of those 3 resorts or their beaches would be a disappointment.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 12:35 PM

I just got back from a week at Cuisinart and have spent time (although never stayed) at Malli and Cap during previous trips where I toured the facilities including rooms. I don't think the beach at Malli is inferior in any way. It is more difficult to get to from the hotel since Malli is built into a cliff, but its beauty is second to none. At this level, it is just a matter of personal opinion as to which is best. Cuisinart was a fabulous resort and nobody should ever feeling they are going second class by staying there. I would have to give the beach at CJ my vote over Cuisinart. If I hadn't seen Cap's beach I would think Cuisinart's was fabulous but the beach at Cap is even more spectacular. On the other hand the rooms at Cuisinart are huge and comfortable with a great oceanfront balcony and a fabulous, well stocked bathroom. The pool is gorgeous, uncrowded and offers views of the ocean and St. Martin. The spa was excellent and service overall at the resort was never lacking. To sum up, I'd give Cap the edge for the beach but I think Cuisinart matches up or even surpasses in terms of everything else. There are no right or wrongs here - all 3 are great choices. Compare prices, add up all the pros and cons and look forward to whichever place gets the win. While there, try to visit the other places because surely you'll want to return to Anguilla and you'll be more informed for your next visit.
Also try to visit Shoal Bay East, which in my opinion is the most spectacular beach of them all.
Enjoy!
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 12:54 PM

From what I saw, CuisinArt looked like the best property overall...but the water tends to be rough at that end of Rendezvous Bay.

Mali or Cap have better beaches.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 01:11 PM

Depends on the time of year -- we go every November & Rendezvous Bay is like a mill pond -- never a ripple. 2 years ago, the waves were so huge on Meads Bay that I saw a woman get smashed by one (broke her arm in a couple of places).
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 01:40 PM

To Barbara1: I certainly won't argue with your personal experiences on Anguilla. My comments are based on 1) visits to several beaches on Anguilla (some brief) and 2)the fact that on most Caribbean islands there is a difference in the waters between the Atlantic and Caribbean sides. The water circulation in the Atlantic moves colder water toward the island coasts while the Caribbean is shallower allowing the water to heat up more thoroughly. You can verify this by looking at SST weather maps which show Caribbean water temps. It's not big difference, of course.
But the water on the Atlantic sides of most islands is indeed different.
Many travel resources warn that waters CAN be rough at Mead's Bay. You'll not find similar warnings about Maunday's since it's relatively protected and on average will be calmer. I don't think you'll find anyone who will argue that point.
So while many people may not actually perceive a difference between the 2 beaches, I'll stand by my original statement.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 03:47 PM

Just wanted to add the Cuisinart junior suite for $275, is a great deal. It is a beautiful hotel. CJ gets a higher price for now, but CuisinArt is building up their clientel. How can you go wrong!
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to offer their advice to my post. The excellent information, advice and reviews on this site has made our decision for us.
We're going for it- Cap Juluca is the place!!