Caneel vs. Little Dix for kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2003, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all..in addition to planning an adult trip to probably Cap ,we are also working on a possible kid-friendly spring break get-away.I had promised my daughter we would do Atlantis but thanks to some great advice,Im going to steer clear during Spring Break.I love St. John and have never been to BVI but have heard great things about Little Dix and their kids program.Any thoughts??I know the Beaches resort in Turks is supposed to be super fun for kids....but I want this to be great for all of us .Thanks for any input you guys might have!
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 07:21 AM

Hi;

Been to both properties but only stayed at Caneel with our then 5 yr old.

How old are your kids? Caneel had an organized well run program that would take your kids at their "kids center" and work with them throughout the day.
Our child liked it. What I was not wild about was that the center was (for better or worse) far removed from the rooms and where we might be plopped for the day. Later in the day we would simply go and pick him up. I think the center was best geared for children 4 - 9 . After that age, children would prefer to be on the beach just doing their thing.

We visited Little Dix for a daytrip and found it to be similar at the time though I think they now have a much more complete program.

Quite honestly in our travels, we've found that we prefer "programs" where we can see our child doing things and having fun with caregivers and other children.(albeit on the other end of the beach or somewhere nearby on the grounds.

It is for this reason that we have visited FDR Runaway Bay many times.
The trade off is that it is an all-inclusive(which we're not fond of) but the food was pretty good and our child has a blast!! The rooms (condos) are huge but not fancy. The staff is WONDERFUL When he's happy, we are too.

We've also stayed at Four Seasons-Nevis and found their program to be better run than either Caneel or Little Dix. They have a much more complete center which is located close to the main center. (just for what it's worth)

In our experience it make a difference how old your child is, how outgoing he or she is, and obviously what kind of staff is running the center.

There's trade-offs no matter where you go. Wow.....I rambled on........sorry.

Good luck!

Tip....skip Beaches....I was not impressed at all when we visited the property last spring. Kids everywhere,row after row of beach chairs on the beach. In our view it looked like an packed dry-docked cruise ship.(we did not stay there.. we stayed down the beach in a condo.)
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Wow..Thanks for the great reply.My daughter is 6..if my fiance kids go they are 10,7,and 5.We are actually wide open as to a destination.I want something nice but not "AI-Touristy-filled-to-capacity".Does that make sense??lol I love St.John but didnt know a lot about Caneel.I have always wanted to do the BVIS but we'll see I guess.My daughter wants to go to Atlantis but Im scared of it during Spring Break.Any suggestions would be welcome.FS Nevis looks wonderful..we have considered it as a weddding destination as well.Thanks alot for any additional info anyone might have.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 08:25 AM

I would pick either. It's so funny but as a kid my parents took us everywhere. This is before any kind of kids programs....our programs were finding shells, playing with our parents in the surf, making sandcastles, hiking and discovering - exploring "new territory", meeting children from other places, eating out and trying new food. Those are my fondest memories as a child with my parents. My parents gave us the love of exploration and travel and adventure. Don't pick a destination due to "childrens programs", just being with you in the caribbean is wonderful......they will not be bored.
Less IS more.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Hi Sandy..I couldnt agree with you more.It seems people,and kids in particular, have forgotten how to just enjoy things and make their own play.My parents always took me places,too, and Im so glad.I guess I just want to pick a place that they wont be resented by other guests ..but one that isnt too "kid-planned".Thanks alot!!
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 09:23 AM

If you are going when school is out, your kids won't be alone Any place that allows kids (and allows them under a certain age) will have them, I would not worry about it. Either place would be fine!
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 09:44 AM

Which is primarily why we like FDR. Parents are included in the kid's fun.
Shelling, walking the forest, goat races on the beach, and simple things such as that. The other places are very nice but unless you use the center and or your child connects with other kids, they may have to make their own fun.(which is not a bad thing sometimes, but it really is wonderful for a child to meet and connect with children from other parts of the world.
Our child has many penpals that he has met over the years.

Your kids are the perfect age for any of the places I've mentioned. You're lucky if you have more than one going as they have built in mates.

Also.....I think you're correct in staying away from Atlantis at spring break time.....it will be a zoo! You're kids may like it ok, but you'll never get to relax.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 07:44 PM

My 2 cents . . . we spent a week this summer at Caneel with our 2 kids, 9 and 11, and we had a ball but we spent a LOT of time in the water snorkelling. Although the beaches are beautiful, I would think that a 6 year old (or 5,6,7 and 10 year olds!) might get a little stir-crazy at Caneel. The food is very expensive, and the rooms aren't that big to spread out in. You'd be better off in a villa or condo if all the kids go . . . then you'd be able to explore the island and go to different beaches. The pure white sand is great, but there's not a lot of shells to collect or surf to play in. For more kid-friendly places you might want to look into Playa del Carmen or even Grand Cayman - with the turtle farm and stingray city. The greatest appeal for us in St. John was UNDER the water!
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 09:37 AM

Go to LITTLE DIX BAY! Their kids programm is very good and the newly opened spa is just amazing.
Regine/KATITCHE POINT GREATHOUSE
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 01:45 PM

We were at Little Dix last August with a 3 year old - despite many kids on property, few if any used the children's program while we were there - and it was sort of sad to leave our daughter in this beautiful playroom with no one else ither than the very nice caregivers - so we didn't - she had a great time on the beaches and in the water anyway, but we'd thought she'd also like to play with other kids and enjoy some of the nature trips offered at the children's grove - the only time the children's grove had any participants was the one "free" night - (it's not expensive - no more than a good babysitter for the evening). So we did hire a babysitter a couple of nights (and there was no minimum number of hours which was nice) but that was it - if there are other kids participating the facility and personnel are terrific.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 05:48 PM

Why not book a combo?...they even have their own shuttle boat running between both resorts.