Caneel Beaches?

Jul 20th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Caneel Beaches?

Out of the 3 beaches; Hawknest, Scotts and Turtle, what is your favorite...

I know Scotts is premium and has a family of turtles living there. Do you have your opinion on best beach?

We are booked on Turtle, understand the water is rough. I hope it is a good choice?

john
Jul 20th, 2008, 11:21 AM

Picking only one beach is like picking only one of Charlie's Angels. I personally like Scott Beach the best. I have seen all three beaches calm & rough. When are you going?
Jul 20th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

End of April begining of May..I know, I am sure we will love it all///is it a far walk to other beaches from Turtle?
Jul 21st, 2008, 03:28 AM

Very easy walk plus they have shuttles/golf carts.
Jul 21st, 2008, 08:00 AM

Hawknest, Scotts and Turtle all are in walking distance. (So technically it doesn't matter which beach you stay on you can easily get to either one). You should really enjoy Caneel, we love it! - Susan
Jul 21st, 2008, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you..I knew it was a stupid question

johnb
Jul 21st, 2008, 11:50 AM

Scott if you want to avoid children at all costs, Turtle if you want a perfect crescent sand beach and a beautiful point but don't mind being a bit of a schlep to the main area, Hawksnest if you want the best snorkling on Caneel's 7 beaches or want plenty of afternoon shade.
Jul 21st, 2008, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

thanks joepa...thats what i wanted to know!
Jul 22nd, 2008, 02:43 AM

Johnb, we've found the best snorkeling to be off Caneel's main beach. Looking at the water snorkel around the point, on your right, toward Scott Beach. I think Scott has the best rooms - on the beach yet hidden from view and hammocks. I've only seen children on Scott beach one time out of five.

If you go to: http://www.caneelbay.com/, that beach is Scott, you can't even see the rooms. If you are already booked on Turtle you'll be very happy. You may want to inquire about an upgrade upon arrival. On Turtle do you know if you'll have an upper or lower level room? I'll be on St. John in August and let you know if I see any changes.
Jul 22nd, 2008, 09:27 AM

No problem. We stayed on Turtle and thought it was perfect for us.

Here's the trip report if you're interested (with synopsis on many of the beaches):

http://www.jarredandrachel.com/St.John.html
Jul 23rd, 2008, 02:33 AM

Jarred, great trip report! Look for mine in early September. I agree 100% with your quote "as a diver I need to bite my tongue for saying this but, this was the first place Iíve ever been where the snorkeling actually rivaled the diving". I now only dive 1 day and snorkel the rest. We had a terrible experience with Collette and would never, ever use her again nor would I recommend her services. I have always been pleased with Lowkey, too bad they weren't running a trip during your stay.

Next trip you and Rachel might want to look into renting a villa. That's what we've done for our last several trips.
Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Pulley/Joepa,

I am a certified diver as well and my wife does not so I picked here for the snorkeling that we can do together..

I asked for a lower on turtle..is that bad? We are also to receive an upgrade if available from travel group..

I understand there is a dive shop on grounds..I would like to do at least on dive..any feedback with this operation?

good stuff thanks
Jul 23rd, 2008, 11:29 AM

If you want to join a good beach at your front door with the best snorkeling and a breeze while on the beach I recommend switching to Hawks Nest. We request a second gloor room (they have elevators) and we request a next to either end or end room. In 3 times at Hawks Nest, 1 time at Turtle and 2 Times in Cottage #7 (Rooms C,D, E only-the best rooms and view but very pricey)Hawks Nest we find to be the best combination.
Jul 23rd, 2008, 11:52 AM

John, I think you'll be fine with any room you get. This not a mega resort. I'm not familar with Caneel's Dive operator, I think it's Paradise Dive, but in Cruz Bay you can use LowKey Watersports. I highly recommend them. Make sure you get to Carvel Rock on one dive 70' and awesome. Also one of my favorites is Perkins Cay. It's 1/4 mile off shore, across from Gallows Point, the depth is 35' max and is 100'+ long. It's a great dive and you get 50 minutes or so of dive time. All the dives I've been on are very easy. My wife doesn't dive and as Joepa & I have said the snorkeling is very, very good.

I'll be posting detailed snorkeling reviews in September so watch for that post.

mike
Jul 24th, 2008, 06:33 AM

Glad you enjoyed the report.

I believe the dive op on site is Chris Sawyer. We used them for the local diving nearby (not the Rhone) and thought they were very good and, best of all, extremely convenient. I believe if you are doing multiple days, they will break down your stuff and store it for you, cleaned and ready to go for the next day - though you should check on that. I like that convenience in an op.

We had a lower room on Turtle Bay and wouldn't have changed a thing. The view from the 2nd floor was probably a bit better but the added convenience of having the sand right outside your door without having to trek up and down stairs (often with dive/snorkel/underwater camera equipment) was key. We did snorkel a bunch at Hawksnest which is literally a 5 minute walk away, but I thought Turtle Bay was a more picturesque stretch of beach and suited us better as a home base. That's what makes horseracing, though. I've never seen someone post a message saying their trip was ruined because they stayed on such and such beach instead of such and such beach. They're all great and you won't go wrong.