Reload this Page >

BUGS, MOSQUITOES, VERY BAD?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 06:32 AM
RON

MY WIFE & I ARE LOOKING TO MAKE OUR FIRST TRIP TO ST. JOHN IN OCTOBER 2002. I AM LOOKING A RENTING VILLA BASED ON RESEARCH & THIS MESSAGE BOARD AS WELL!<BR><BR>WHILE THIS MAY SOUND STUPID BECAUSE I REALIZE WE ARE IN THE TROPICS, ARE MOSQUITOES THAT BAD WHEN STAYING IN A VILLA UP IN THE HILLSIDE OR WHEN JUST GOING TO THE BEACH OR TOURING THE ISLAND!<BR><BR>FIRST TIMER TO ST. JOHN WOULD APPRECIATE FEEDBACK! THANKS!

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Elise

You will be in the tropics so yes, there will be mosquitos and noseeums etc. Use a good quality repellent (like Deep Woods Off) and you won't have a problem.<BR>The worst times for bugs are dusk and early evening. But it's not really any different from any other tropical destination.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Karen

Ron -<BR><BR>We have been traveling to STJ annually for the last seven years, and, while I absolutely love this island and its beaches, the noseeums are very bothersome to me. We are island people and travel to islands two to three times each year, and I have not experienced the problems that I have on St. John. We travel to Kauai each February/March and I don't even use any Off type product, and rarely get a singly bite. However, I would not give up St. John, but I have learned not to be without "Off or any product containing Deet,esp. early morning and at dawn. When I am conscientious of this, I have no problems. My husband has never had a problem and some of the other people we have traveled with rarely complain, so, it just depends on the individual. Be prudent and you should not suffer. We have always rented villas and have found that those higher up on the hills and away from the water afford better views as well as breezes that contain the insects somewhat. Keep in mind that about 75% of STJ is national forest and no type of spraying is done, which lends itself to having more insects. Additionally, I agree with the other poster in that dusk and dawn seem to be the worst times for mosquitoes/noseeums.<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip; I think you will truly like STJ and want to return.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Kate

I have spent several vacations in villas on St JOhn and always bring some kind of repellent and never really get more than a few bites during the week.<BR>Last year we rented a villa in the national park/Cinnamon Bay area and I was eaten alive and left the island with almost 50 bites - we used spray,coils,anything we could get our hands on and it made no difference the mosquitos would pay no attention to our efforts. So I would advise to rent a villa in the more residential areas and you should be fine but defenitely stay away from the area I mentioned.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Cruzan Confusion

In addition to the other very good recommendations already given, I never go on vacation without taking Diprolene .05% lotion. It's the only product I've found (including Benadryl, calamine, etc.) that will take the itch out of some kinds of bites and get rid of them in a timely fashion. You'll need a prescription, but I just call my primary care physician, explain why I need it, and he always writes it for me.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Mary

Mosquito Milk (available only in the islands) saved many of our vacations. It's a roll-on (24% DEET & the rest natural plant stuff). LOVE IT!!!