Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Buccaneer or Windjammer Landing with four kids?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay - after all of your help, I narrowed down my choices for a trip in February. Alright, after I found out the prices, I narrowed down my choices!

I originally wanted St John, but the Westin is 719 a night per room and we are required to have two - and that's not including food.

Buccaneer is $550 a night, for a family cottage suite, inlcuding breakfast. Kids Camp is free.

Windjammer Landing is $730 a night for a two bedroom villa with a plunge pool. Meal option is reasonably priced. They also have a kids camp.

So, my questions are:

Which has the most activities for three boys(both in and out of the kids club)?

Which has better food options?

Which is on a "safer" island?

Which has interesting activities off-site?

Which is most convenient to get to - from Philly?

Which has better weather - no bugs - in February?

You all have been great - thanks!

Lisa

Old Jul 15th, 2005, 11:46 AM

Hi, lisabees. We stayed at the Windjammer in February 2004. We went with our then 8 year old son. We had the best time; the weather was fantastic every day and we never had a problem with insects.

The food options at the Windjammer were good. And for my son, who is somewhat a picky eater, there was always something that he liked. The best restaurant there I thought, was Papa Don's and Ember's (their beach grill was good also. There are plenty of activity on-site, and the activities team was very good at getting guests to participant, but were not pushy. They have a watersports dock down the left side of the beach.

You will love the Windjammer (if you ultimately decide on going there). It is very lush and the 2 bedroom villa with plunge pool is very nice.

We took a day tour to the south; stopping along the way at the botanic gardens, waterfall, volcano, lunch at Ladera (overlooking the pitons) and snorkeling at Anse Cochon (sp?). The Windjammer also offers a sunset cruise which was a lot of fun. You can also take a tour on the Brig Unicorn (the Black Pearl from Pirates of the Caribbean). I believe Fridays are family day on the Brig. If you go, definitely do dinner at the Coal Pot in Castries (excellent). If you have any questions let me know.

My son still talks about the Windjammer, says its the best vacation he ever had (so far - LOL!).

Squiggy
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 11:53 AM

Sorry, to answer one of your questions. My son liked the kids program. Every day they have a list of activities for the kids which you can pick up at the desk in the lobby. He would go for maybe two hours a day and most nights (they open again from 6 to 10 pm) so that my husband and I had dinner on 2 occasions in town. Most of the time though, he liked participating in the activities down by the pool or beach and hanging with us : )
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Squiggy - thanks for your response! Sounds like you had a great time. Was there plenty for the kids to do, outside of the supervised camp (my kids don't usually like to do that)? What activities did they offer exactly?

Thanks!

Lisa
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 04:55 PM

Buccaneer is one of the most family-friendly resorts out there. I would recommend that over Windjammer. I have never been there with kids, but I know a lot of people who go every year.

St Croix would be easier to get to from Phila. It is not as far to fly. You can fly PHL to SJU, SJU to STX. It is shorter than to St Lucia.

Which has less crime? that is a good question, I am not sure anyone can answer. They both have their problems. I felt uneasy in St Lucia just sitting on a beach, but not in St Croix. I think you just need to use common sense, don't wander off to beaches with no people and don't walk around at night in town, etc.

I think you will find a lot to do on the property at Buccaneer. There really would be no need to go out much, unless you want to take a tour of the island or go into town during the day, etc.

GL
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 08:34 AM

Hi, Lisbees! Somehow I missed your questions to me. What the Windjammer had to offer as far as activities...

There is ping pong down on the beach which, my son for some reason, could not get enough of; there is also a game room for the kids. My son also enjoyed the trampoline and floating dock out in the water. They have banana boat rides, silly little games by the main pool such as crab races which my son got a kick out of. I don't think you need to worry about keeping the kids busy. I'm assuming you are going during Presidents week? Very busy time with lots of kids. I'm sure they'll have a blast!

Squiggy
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 03:41 AM

Topping...

LisaBees, where did you decide to go?