Notices

Blue Horizon, Grenada

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 03:56 AM
Dave

Blue Horizon, Grenada

I just booked a two week vacation at the Blue Horizon Cottages in Feb. 2003. I am interested in hearing from anyone who has stayed here and any suggestion you may have on best room location, any problems that were encountered or any other tips that will add to our enjoyment. Thanks

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 08:37 AM
R. Bailey

Have stayed there more than once; very well run, good staff, friendly and we encountered no problems. Grounds are attractive, but for a view you need to be high on the hillside, although you are then further from the pool.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 12:29 PM
kevin

I've got a reservation at B.H. for next month and was wondering if there are any restautants or grocery stores within walking distance. I appreciate any and all assistance.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 06:30 AM
R. Bailey

It is not a far walk from the Grand Anse shopping center, where there are a number of shops. As I recall, there is a small store that sells groceries there and a larger supermarket a little further along. There is at least one restaurant there, as well as a very nice French bakery that sells snacks, lunches, etc. There are also a number of other hotels with restaurants nearby, and the BH restaurant is first class. Since we have always had a car, we haven't really been concerned about having things in walking distance.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 01:50 PM
kevin

R. Bailey: Thanks for the reply.
How is the driving/exploring? I've driven on other islands without a problem, but heard Grenada can be difficult. We hope to go hiking. Do you recommend using a guide, or can we go it alone?
Also, on the nearby restaurants, we are looking for casual because we'll be with our 7 & 9 year old boys. Pizza, spagetti, burgers, etc. would be good.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Brian

I prefer to rent a car in Grenada, rather than depend on taxis. The last time I was there, in March 2001, I noticed that many of the roads had been improved. Prior to that, they were pretty bad, especially the ones along the southeast coast. The road which cuts through the center of the island and the rainforest has always been pretty good, but it is rather narrow in places, and there are many sharp, blind curves. I still don't like driving in St. Georges. The roads are steep and narrow and many of them are one-way. There are deep rain gutters along the side of the road, and street signs are nonexistent. You really need patience and a sense of humor.

As for hiking, you may want to consider a guide for your first hiking trip. A popular hike is the one to Seven Sisters Falls. There are several other trails in the Grand Etang area. The forestry department is in the process of improving the trails, with more signs and steps on the steep sections. Some new trails opened about 2 years ago.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 06:56 AM
R. Bailey

I agree with Brian. Roads used to be quite bad but there has been a lot of reconstruction in the last few years. Driving in the airport-Grand Anse-St. Georges area is peretty good, but driving in St. George's itself should be avoided as much as possible, and then done only after you have studied the street map carefully. It is not bad driving in to the waterfront area and back out again, but don't drive anywhere near the market. Elsewhere, expect roads to be hilly, crooked and narrow, often with a lot of pedestrians, and unsigned, but quite manageable. Driving is on the left, which concerns a lot of people. I much prefer exploring on my own rather than a tour, if you have the time.

There are a few trails that you can hike on your own around Grand Etang for example, but for any serious hiking I think a guide would be a good idea.

Sorry I can't give any suggestions for casual restaurants for 7 and 9 year olds, although I am sure there will be something. Maybe they will like rotis. The hotel is very helpful about things like that.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 08:12 AM
kevin

Can you recommend a car rental company?

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 03:58 PM
Brian

I've used Spice Isle Rentals (AVIS) four times now, and I'm about to make another reservation with them for a trip this winter. I've found them to be very reliable and professional. You may get a better rate by contacting them directly as opposed to going through AVIS. The cost is US$45-50 per day for a Lancer with automatic transmission.

Here are phone & FAX numbers. I've been trying to find an e-mail address, but so far haven't had any luck.

473-440-3936
FAX: 473-440-9009

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 08:01 AM
R. Bailey

I've always had good service from Davids, http://www.davidscars.com/.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 01:28 PM
kevin

R. Bailey & Brian:
Thanks for all the advice so far. Here's another question. Do they accept US Dollars at the Sat. a.m. market in St. George and stores/restaurants? Should I exchange at the bank for EC Dollars before I go, at the bank in Grenada, or not at all?

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 08:28 AM
R. Bailey

US dollars are accepted almost everywhere, but in many smaller places you may have to take your change in EC; we generally build up our EC supply by asking for the change that way even if it is available in dollars, because it is more convenient to use EC with small purchases. I expect that most of the vendors at the St. George's market will take small US bills, but the echange rate might be a bit random. I haven't been there in years; I find it too busy to be pleasant, and the Saturday morning market in Grenville is more interesting.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 02:34 PM
Brian

I agree with R. Bailey. When I go, I take my credit card, some travelers cheques, and US dollars. There are a couple banks along the main road between St. Georges and Grand Anse. I cash a few travelers cheques at the bank and try to use EC$ whenever possible. I use the credit card for the hotel and car rental. The exchange rate is about US$1 = EC$2.65, and if you use US$ in stores you will usually get EC$2.50. If I have any EC$ left at the end of the trip, I use them to tip the housekeepers, pay part of the hotel bill, or buy little souvenirs.