Where to stay in Adelaide please?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning on staying 2 nights in Adelaide next month. Any recommendations for hotels and restaurants there please?
Thank you!
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 04:30 PM

Go to www.wotif.com for the best rates, but The Majestic Roof Garden, The Sebel Playford and The Mecure Grosvenor on North Terrace are good hotels in good positions. Google Trip Advisor Adelade for other recommendations
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 04:33 PM

I have stayed at Pacific International Appartments on Frome Street several times and found them to be very comfortable.
You would be just a short walk to the main shopping street but in a fairly quiet area.
Rundle Street is where you will find top class restaurants, pubs and eateries. Try Taj Tandoor Indian Restaurant at 290 Rundle Street for fabulous food.
Cheers.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 06:01 PM

I really like the Medina Grand Treasury which are self contained apartments beautifully and elegantly fitted out in a most convenient location near the market and a supermarket and the middle of the city . Gouger Street ( close by )has many excellent places to eat . Cibo in North Adelaide is excellent for Italian .Rundle Street also has a myriad of good cafes etc .The Grange is excellent for upmarket dining .
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 01:17 AM

I stayed at the Majestic Roof Hotel and it was ok - well positioned, had secure car park and was within walking distance to the central shopping mall(Rundle mall) and the Botanic gardens. The bathtub is so positioned that you can open the shutters and watch tv in the bedroom while soaking in the bath -did not have time to test it.

There are plenty restaurants around the area - would just walk along and see what catches your eye (or nose)

The Grange at the Hilton is certainly a well recognised fine dining restaurant - check it and others on www.bestrestaurants.com.au

Old Jan 7th, 2008, 02:00 PM

JF - Cibo no longer open in North Adelaide, the owners are concentrating on their coffee chain.

Try Chianti Classico on Hutt street for a lovely meal and good service. You can spend quite a few $'s here, depending on your wine choices.

Goodlife Organic Pizza in the same street for excellent pizza:
http://www.goodlifepizza.com/

Auge in Grote street for another special meal.

We had a nice meal just out of the city in Kent Town at the Tap Inn last week - they have a tapas style menu, as well as normal 'main course' style.

Cheap and cheerful asian food around the central market precinct (Grote and Gouger streets) just take a walk around.

Gauchos for meat lovers.

Jasmin in Hindmarsh Square for classic Indian.

Enjoy your time in Adelaide.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 12:59 AM

thanks Lizzy. I did not have time to look when there a few weeks ago . Pity as it was really good if a bit noisy .I ate at a really good Thai place in Gouger St 12 months ago and wonder whether you recall its name for carylspall?
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 12:25 PM

Could have been Star of Siam? Across the road from the entrance to the Central Market? A reliable (and busy) place for a Thai meal.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 08:53 PM

That's it.Lovely food , very busy and we needed to book .Thanks .
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 09:44 PM

I also recommend the Medina Grand Treasury. As the name suggests, it is a restored historical Treasury building. We stayed two nights, in two different apartments and found it to be very comfortable, nicely decorated and convenient to the downtown area. Also, the tram to Glenelg is right across the street.

Sara
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Have now booked the Majestic Roof Garden.
Can't wait to be in Australia!
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Loved the Majestic Roof Garden Hotel! A really nice hotel and excellent location.We were there 2 nights. First night we were disappointed with our choice of restaurant - we chose Eros which was supposed to be Greek, but the nearest to Greece the chef had been was probably Bali! It was not a good meal,service was bad and was pricey too. The next night we ate at Taj Tandoor Indian Restaurant at 290 Rundle Street as recommended by sunsurfsand (thanks!!!)We had a great meal and were put upstairs (on our own!) as there were no tables down. This suited us fine as it was so busy and noisy downstairs.reasonably priced too. Just shows you should heed the Fodorites advice! Thanks guys!
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 07:25 PM

Try this restaurant for an evening meal.
http://www.windypointrestaurant.com.au/wprestaurant.php
It has fantastic views looking back over the city and also out over ocean. You will need to book. It has a lower cafe/restaurant and also an upstairs high class restaurant. I would recommend upstairs the prices are not much different.
It is a twenty minute taxi ride from the city.
Cheers.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 12:45 AM

carylspall , I am pleased the Majestic was to your liking as it is always nice to hear positive feedback and thanks for it . I hope you enjoyed Adelaide generally ?

For others reading this Addaggio in King William Rd is a terrifically good Italian place as is Farina . Friends had dinner at the former last Saturday night and enjoyed it .
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 01:46 AM

Some good suggestions for restaurants here.

BTW the restaurant on King William Road is actually called Assaggio.