Restaurants for tweens

Search

Restaurants for tweens

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2003, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurants for tweens

Help! We'll be in T.O. this weekend for the Royal Horse Show. My husband & I are bringing our 12-year old daughter & her friend. I'm beginning to find out that many restos don't allow children under 19 if they have a smoking section. We'll be staying at Cambridge Suites. Can anyone recommend some restaurants that will welcome these young ladies? We do not want a chain or the Spaghetti warehouse. We thought a bistro-type place, seafood or italian would be good. Thanks!
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 09:28 AM
BAK

First, about 19. That only applies to a relatively few restaurants that pretend they are bars, so that smoking is permitted.

The Rainforest Cafe would be a hit with the girls, but is a subway ride away. You'll need to get on the University subway line and go all the way to Yorkdale station. (Not Yorkville, which is a different neighborhood). the restaurant is a short walk inside a shopping mall.

Closer to your hotel...

You could, in effect, take then to France by going to Le Select Bistro, on queen Strteet West, about a ten minute walk from the hotel. It's the closest in Toronto to a Paris bistro.

Your immediate neighborhood will be dead on the weekend, but ten minutes in various directions gets interesting.

I've eaten for years with mid-sized kids at Hot House Cafe, at Church and Front Strets, and was there with a nine year old two weeks ago. itial modern, decent steaks, lots of variations on chicken, good individual pizzas...

There's a lot to be said for chains, if they are good chains. Milestones, on John Street between Richmond and Adelaide would welcome them, and the food is good and reasonable, and there's a great book store next door to prowl around in.

If everyone is tired from all tghe walking and just wants simple but good, Swiss Chalet on King Street West, across from Roy Thomson Hall, is a fine choice.

EAst Side Mario's, another chain, at Front Street and Simcoe Street, would be a place girls would enjoy, good food, reasonable prices.

Getting fancy, the Courthouse, on Adelaide Street East, near Church, is a wonderful place, and old historic building with rooms they could explore, including a jail cell in the basement.

Mr. Greenjeans, at the north end of the interior of Eaton Center is another place I've taken 12 year olds, who loved it.

BAK

Old Nov 4th, 2003, 02:57 PM

Hi Horseygirl,

For bistros, you could try La Palette which is in Kensington Market (an area your family will probably find quite interesting), Peter Pan on Queen St West (which has good shopping for teens) or Le Select as previously mentioned.

For Italian you could try John's Italian Cafe (Baldwin Street), or Terroni for really good pizza (they have 2 or 3 locations around the city, one near your hotel I believe).

If you get a chance to visit the Distillery District, try the Pure Spirits Oyster House for seafood; I went there recently and was quite pleased with the food.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for your suggstions! When I mentioned that I wanted to avoid chains it was because I wanted to eat some place different than what I can find at home. With the exception of Rainforest Cafe (in the Detroit area) the chains BAK mentioned are new to me. What about "Baton
Rouge"? Is the food(ribs) as good as Toronto.com says it is?
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 12:43 PM
BAK

A frind of mine can fly, so I went to see him do this in Peter Pan, across the street from Baton Rouge a couple of years ago. He was about 10, and his sister 13. And I had a seven year old with me.

It was just a good, standard, reestaurant, and I don't think any of the kids would have anything good, or bad, to say about it.

If you want ribs, and the girls are open to being a bit sophisticated, walk up to LeBifteque in the Sheraton Centre Hotel, or walk over to Duncan Street, between John and Adelaide, to RD's Bar-B-Cue. I've had ribs at both; both were excellent. RD's has jazz most evenings, and LeB is dark and elegant, and about two-thirds the price you think it should be, all things considered.

TRUE STORY: about 2 this afternoon I got talking to a well-dressed couple I noticed reading menus in front of three restaurants in the entertainment district, trying to decide where to eat.

Turns out they were from Ontreal, which means, in Candian terms, they know their food. Considering where we were, the time of day (kitchens closing down) and the fact that is was grey and cold and not a day for walking, I sent them to Milestones.

Back to Baton Rouge -- it's neat and tidy and big and well run, etc., but I never even thought about going back myself, so I guess that says a lot.

BAK
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 02:59 PM

I think that the food is ok at Baton Rouge, but the servings are giant and you're paying more than you need to because the servings are giant! I probably wouldn't go back unless I was with a group who chose it.

There are loads of restaurants in downtown Toronto and many of them allow children. One area you could try is along the Danforth - lots of Greek restaurants along there and they allow kids.