Toronto Restaurants - The Best Of & Entertainment Coupon Book

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2003, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am now planning our trip to Toronto, Canada and SARS will not stop me.... I have checked many websites and previous posts as I did when planning a recent trip to New Orleans. I am calling upon anyone who can give me there "Best Of" favorite restaurants for:
Burgers, fun/themed(different and unique to Toronto), seafood, greek, desserts, breakfast and chinese. We will be staying at the Sheraton Centre, downtown without a car. Food quality will outweigh price so fire away locals or recent visitors.. Plus are there any TOURS we should not miss??? A friend has given me a Toronto Entertainment Book 2003, are there any good restaurants in there that we should not pass up???
Thanks so much,
Elaine
Old May 3rd, 2003, 12:59 PM
BAK

I don't have the entertainment book with me, but my wife ripped out some coupons for me to keep at the office.

You'd benefit from using these, too.

Baroli is a coffee shop / sandwich shop at the Sears end of the Eaton Centre, and you'll get a sandwich for free if you buy one. Not bad.

Timpthy's is a coffee chain, competes with Starbucks, you'll get a fancy beverage if you buy another fancy beverage.

St. Urbain Bagel is a bakery inside the St. lawrence Market, and it makes Montreal-style bagels. The market's worth visiting, so use the coupons for a lox and cream cheese sandwich, and for some bagels to take back to the hotel.

Other than that, all I can say about the coupons is that Lick's, a hamburger chain, is a place I'll never go again.

Near the Sheraton:
Hot dogs and french fries from the trucks parked across Queen Street. Honest. They're really good.

Burger; good question. Perhaps Mr. Greenjean's, on the upper level of the Eaton Cetre, at the Sears store end. Or Lone Star, on Front Street at Sin=mcoe, across from the Crowne plaza. Imitation Texas, which ain't Toronto, but the burgers are good, Or..

Gretsky's is an excellent sports-themed restaurant, has just been remodeled, does have reasonably priced food (compared, I believe to Hard Rock and Planet Hollywood) and might combine your decor - theme - burger requirements. Gretsky's isnear Front Street and BLue Jays Way. Blue Jays Way is the southern end of Peter Street. Ten or fifteen minutes walk from the hotel.

Walking around pizza -- Amato, in a grungy food court building on the north side of Queen Strteet, across from the CITY-TV station parking lot, five minutes walk west of the hotel. Inexpensive ($3.25, $3.95 for generous slices), excellent, many versions to choose from.

Cheap, good breakfast; For real bacon and eggs, rather than just pastries, the Peel Pub, on King Street West, between Duncan and John. $2.13, tax included, for coffee, two eggs, toast, home fries. Add a buck for bacon. I eat there several times a week.

Within the hotel, there are the expensive Sheraton Restaurants, but you can also go to the basement, out the door into the underground tunnels, and find several restaurants between the hotel and the Bay department store.

For a fun breakfast (or for "themed" at any time of your visit) try Le Marche, in BCE Place, on Yonge Street, south of Wellington and north of Front Street. You wander around to various cooking stations, and your meal is cooked for you an item at a time. Hard to beat the omlettes here.

Seafood -- if you want to go to the trouble, take the subway out the Bloor Street route to the Royal York station, and walk a block west to Kingsway Fish and Chips. It closes early, so get there around 6, 6:30. it's a neighborhood favorite, with great food.

For steak, my favorite is Ruth's Chris, in the Hilton hotel, kitty-corner from the Sheraton. But that's American, and is it an adventure?

Inside the Sheraton hotel, at half the price and three-quarters the quality (very good, I say) is Le Bifteque, the Toronto operation of a Montreal chain.

Desserts? Movenpick, in Yorkville, on Yorkville Avenue. There's a Movenpick on York Street, right near the hotel, but there's some sort of construction, and I don't know why. Plus Yorkville is fancier and more festive and livelier late at night.

Greek -- there's a million choices. The fun thing to do is get on the subway and go to the Bloor line. Change trains, and head east on the Bloor Line to Chester station. GEt off, and walk along The Danforth (Bloor St. changes its name) looking in the windows and reading themenus and asking the pattrons at the sidweewalk tables wha tthey think. There's at least a dozen good Greek restaurants to choose from.

I once was in the neighborhood with a friend who had a faviorite. Other restaurants were very busy, but her favoirte was almost empty. Gereat, esy to get a table. Truth? The people not there were not there because it was no good. So look for crowds.

On my web site at www.BrianKilgore.com there's a link at the top to a convention-related page full of tips aimed at people coming to a convention at the Sheraton. You might find those tips useful, too.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 01:50 PM

Hi Elaine:

All I can say is good for you. Welcome to our city. I've read a lot of your trip reports and they are great.

Have Fun!!!!
Old May 5th, 2003, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks torontopm for those kind words... I really do try to give as much info as I can that I hope will be usefull to others. So do you have any favorite restaurants or tours that I should not miss?????
Old May 5th, 2003, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

And thank you BAK for your very informative answers as well I really do appreciate it and I will check out your website
Old May 5th, 2003, 07:46 AM
JMM

I don't have the entertainment book but I can think of a few things I would recommend. The Sheraton is a nice central location.
1. Take a walk west on Queen St. to Spadina or Bathurst - lots of interesting restaurants and shops.
2. If you like museums and art galleries - Royal Ontario Museum and Art Gallery of Ontario (which is right on the edge of Chinatown - lots of good Chinese restaurants.
3. Upscale Shopping - Bloor St West of Yonge.
4. If you like zoos - the Metro Toronto Zoo is excellent but out of the way - it would be a day trip (you can get there by public transit but it takes a while).
5. Gerrard St East - Little India - exotic shops and great Indian restaurants.
6. Danforth - Greek restaurants
7. The provincial parliament buildings at Queen's Park - photogenic
8. Ride a streetcar along Queen St. or Dundas St. or College St or King St.
9. Bloor West Village - Bloor St West of High Park (the park is nice too) - lots of restaurants and shops.
10. the Beaches - nice neighbourhood near the lake - side walk cafes, restaurants and shops.
Always lots of plays in the city - don't just go to obvious big names - not that they are not good - it's just that the smaller theatres like Theatre Passe Muraille are cheaper and often present more unique plays.
Have a great time.
Old May 5th, 2003, 10:00 AM

Welcome to Toronto!
You didn't indicate how many will be traveling, your ages, budget and/or if you have kids and if you'll have a car. But here are my picks.

Burgers
For very casual, take-out with a few tables to eat in - Licks, which is a small chain. Very good.
For diner environment - The Senator, great burger, excellent fries
For very high end - Bymark - Burger with truffles and Brie is Mmmmm in an elegant and trendy setting (expensive).

Greek
The Danforth is the area to go to. Our favorites are:
Avli - also very good seafood here
Pan
Mezes

Breakfasts
For casual - The Senator - all day breakfast in a diner, really good, line ups to be expected on weekends.
For Bistro brunch- Le Select for a lovely brunch. Wonderful wine list. Weather permitting sit on the patio and watch the world go by. Make a reservation or take your chances you'll be in the back.
For high end - Studio Cafe in The Four Seasons Yorkville - lovely room, great eggs benedict.

Chinese
For Szechuan or Duck - Champion House
For High End Cantonese - Lei Wah Heen
Tons in Markham which is 25-30 minutes from downtown.

Desserts
Demetre - several locations
Movenpick Yorkville (Yorl St. is closed) for GREAT ice cream
Papillion - For very good crepes

Enjoy!
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:00 PM

Hi Elaine:

I too do not have the Toronto Entertainment Book, so I can't help you there. However, greek food is one of my favourites and gayle already mention some that are very good. Le Marche is great if you don't mind having to go from station to station picking out what you want to eat. Le Bifteque has some great ribs (don't let the cows outside on richmond st.scare you)

One of my favourite places to visit in the spring and summer has got to be the Toronto Island Park. To get there you board a ferry at the foot of Bay St. and Queens Quay(pronounced "Key&quot The fare is $6.00CDN per person. You can take great pictures of the Toronto skyline while on the ferry and get off and explore the islands. While there you can rent a bicycle, have a picnic lunch, and for the something different there is even a clothes optional beach. If you don't have time to explore the island just stay on the ferry and it will take you back to the city. It's a 10-15 minute ride one way. The website for the islands is http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/parks/...dex.htm#hanlan

You might also like to tour "Casa Loma" A Castle built by Sir Henry Pellatt.

If you like gambling(slots) or horse racing you might want to visit Woodbine(about 5 minutes from Toronto Pearson Airport).

Yorkville is great place for an evening stroll, lots of restaurants and boutiques, similar ambience to Las Olas Blvd. in Fort Lauderdale minus the horse drawn buggies and palm trees. Yummy ice cream as Bak and Gayle mentioned at Movenpick's.

Hope this helps. Have Fun!!!!
Old May 5th, 2003, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your comments Torontopm & Gayle. My husband and I (40ish) are driving from NJ no kids. As for our budget we do tend to splurge on a few things while on vacation. As for meals we will usually do a few expensive dinners (don't really like to get dressed up) combined with burgers and Greek & Chinese as well. We will be in Toronto for 6 days so if there are any one day side trips (except for Niagara Falls) would love some info as well to help me get started...
Old May 6th, 2003, 06:54 AM

ezmark,
We're in the same demo as you and travel much the same way with some splurges. As for getting dressed up, pretty much anything goes here in Toronto. I can't honestly remember the last time Michael wore a "jacket" to dinner, except perhaps on my birthday when I asked him to since I got dressed up.

I also should have mentioned a couple of places we often go to which are local neighbourhood favorites. They're both about 15 minutes by cab from your hotel but very worth the drive as the food is terrific and they're excellent value.

One is Ferro on St. Clair Avenue West. It's very, very crowded and "fun", kind of a scene but with great food, wood burning oven pizzas, huge salads, great seafood and pasta. No reservations and be prepared to wait at the bar with a drink and talk to strangers.

The other is LoLo on Mount Pleasant. This is a small, family run bistro style restaurant, charming with an optional prix fix menu, great food and yummy desserts. It's located in a neighbourhood that's nice for strolling and browsing and is not somewhere a lot of tourists would know to go to.
Old May 6th, 2003, 07:42 AM
LJ

Elaine,
You are so generous with good info elsewhere, so how can we Torontonians resist when you are visiting our home town (even though I am living away for the year)?

Since it seems you will not have a car I must resist luring you to the best burgers in TO: Apache Burger, on Bloor/Dundas Street West between Islington and Kipling subway stations.You could get there by subway and bus if you are very keen (I would if I was lucky enough to be there right now) and it would be worth it especially if you also love real malted milkshakes and onion rings, not from a package.Fabulous burgers...

More accessible (Yonge and Eglinton/Davisville on subway) is Grano's for real Italian family style dining.

We love Movenpick's breakfasts for glamour times as well as their desserts; its expensive.

The Bistro on Queen Street West is good fun, very stylish and excellent steak and frites, fun bread baskets.

I would second Brian Kilgore's excellent response on most everything and second the info: don't go to Lick's, do roam around the Danforth for Greek food, yes, but also excellent picnic fixin's if you want to take advantage of all the parks in TO or go to the islands by ferry when you should take your own food 'cause whats on offer is dubious.

If you go the the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum)check out "JK at the ROM" esp. the little pick-up by hand lamb chops.

Go to the St. Lawrence market to see the remnants of an old-fashioned marketplace and taste the back-bacon sandwhich (one between two is probably saner) and other fresh goodies.

I can't stand talking like this when I am 2000 miles away...but you have fun anyway and drink a bubble-tea for me...
Old May 6th, 2003, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again Gayle and LJ for your comments, as I have a lot of planning to do but more than enough time.
LJ - we are actually driving up from NJ even though my hubby would love to just park the car and forget about it for an entire week but feel free to add any restaurants that we might need to drive too.
As many of you have offered SO MANY GREAT IDEAS for places to eat and local attractions are there any different and unique TOURS that we should not miss out on??? Also are there any DAY TOURS that we could drive to. We will be in Toronto for six nights more than enough time to get to know your great city and see and eat everything in site... LJ you sound very home sick, where are you living now???? The big question is what the heck is Bubble-Tea and a back bacon sandwich??????
Old May 6th, 2003, 12:34 PM

Elaine:

I don't know of any organized tours except to go to Niagara Falls and I know you have been there already. You might like Prince Edward County which is about 140 miles from Toronto. I haven't been there in 20 something years so I can't tell you what it's like now. But if you do a search on this board it might give you some ideas if this area is what you might be interested in.
Old May 6th, 2003, 12:51 PM

A few clarifications:
JK@ROM has closed as the museum is about to undergo a major renovation. Prior to closing it was only open for lunch.

Grano is quite expensive for what you get IMHO and not nearly as "fun" as Ferro.

The Bistro is actually Le Select Bistro.
Old May 6th, 2003, 02:21 PM
LJ

Gayle, I thank you for the clarifications you added re: my post-clearly I have been away too long!Its been 7 months now and I forgot all about the forthcoming ROM reno and that there is a "Select" in Bistro. I disagree about Grano's but would urge Elaine to try it for lunch when the food is just as good and the prices lower.

To answer Elaine's questions, I am on a years' contract in St. John's, Newfoundland, a wonderful, beautiful place, but not (culinarily) Toronto...however, next year we are off to Italy for a year so I can't moan about the food then, can I?

Finally, back bacon is a kind of smoked ham, similar to peameal bacon and served dripping with flavour on a big soft kaiser(German) bun with (English)mustard, if you wish. Its a Canadian food icon and available at St. Lawrence market. Bubble tea sounds dreadful but is delicious, a Chinese beverage made with tea (duh!), fresh fruit juice and big balls of floating tapioca...yeah, you really do have to taste it to believe it, but in a sort of do-it-youself food fusion it goes well that back bacon sandwhich and that blending of cultures makes it a very Toronto way to eat.