Closest grocery store to the Metropolitan Hotel in Toronto

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am specifically looking for a LARGE grocery store like Loblaws or possibly there is a Wal-Mart near this part of Toronto?
I have quite a few things to buy to bring back to Texas and it is just much easier to get it all at once at a large store.
Thanks for all the info!
~Laura
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:21 AM

If that's the hotel near City Hall, the nearest grocery store is Dominion on Front Street near the Market.

There's also a ValuMart in Manulife Centre at Bloor and Bay and

A big Loblaws on Lakeshore East at Sherbourne, west of Yonge Street.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 10:59 AM
BAK

There are two Metorpolitan Hotels in Toronto, and they have not quite got around to coming up with good names.

The old Metropolitan is behind Toronto City Hall.

Nearest big grocery store is the Gould Street / Mutual Street Dominion.

Walk up to Dundas, turn right / east and walk over to Yonge Street. Walk up a block to Gould (which is beside Sam's Records and does not cross Yonge) Walk east two blocks.

Got a car?

There's a giant Loblaws at Jarvis and Queens Quay, with a very large assortment of premium foods, without quite getting to the Whole Foods price range. Better place than Dominion above, or below.

A little closer that Loblaws, but still a long walk, even from the Soho Metropolitan on Wellington West, is the Donminion Store next to the St. Lawrence Market, on Front Street, between Church and Jarvis.

The Loblaws at Jarvis and Queens Quay is a good enough store that it qualifies as a tourist attraction.

I am curious what's here that you can't get in Texas, though, other than Coffee Crisp chocolate bars and Smarties.

Care to elucidate?

BAK
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much y'all!
Actually it is quite embarrassing for me to elaborate but I will...
Ketchup Chips
St Hubert mixes
Cheese Curds
Maple Syrup
222's
Aero bars
Some sort of Cherry candy bar (name escapes me at the moment)
Disgusting, huh?
I have in-laws from Canada and this is like a little bit of home for them.
I am from Dallas AND I am a chef, so the nice grocery store part is for me because I just love checking out grocery stores in other cities.
I always find interesting regional items.
Seems that the last time I was in YYZ I went to a Whole Foods near the hotel I was staying at (Four Seasons).
Is that right? Could be another city...
The Metropolitan that I am staying at is at 108 Chestnut.
I am also looking for a FABULOUS restaurant near the Metropolitan.
The group wants Italian but I would prefer that it also have excellent non-pasta dishes.
Any ideas?
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Oh... Cherry Blossom is the name.
If I were visiting Montreal I would be asked to bring back Smoked Meat and Boudin Noir.
The bags of Lush products I inevitably buy every time I am in Canada could not even mask the smell of that stuff!
I L-O-V-E Smoked Meat, though!
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 01:40 PM
BAK

It might be worth your while to visit the St. Lawrence Market, at Front Street and Jarvis, too. Several great cheese shops inside, probably excellent maple syrup. And then it's just a couple of blocks down the road to Loblaws.

Yes, there's a Whole Foods down in the lower level of Hazelton Lanes, a block from the Four Seasons.

Dinner: I once took a CIA grad to Oro, near the Metropolitan, because I had to takehim somehwere better than his hosts the night before had taken him, in Chicago.

LEave the Metropolitan, north to Dundas. (One blcok) East to Bay, one blcok. North on Bay to Elm (two blocks)
East on Elm a couple of doors.

There's enough Italian to satisfy those folks, enough everything else to satisfy a demanding diner. Seabass with squid ink? etc. They take a good peoiece of steak, cut it up and arrange it some fancy way so everyone but me is impressed, but they cook it well and it is tasty.

The chef cares at Oro, and ended up visiting our table after we sent comments back to the kitchen.

That's the best restaurant within esy walking distance. EXCEPT -- the hotel has what many consider to be two of the best dining rooms in town. One Chinese, one continental, for lack of a better word. Both expensive.

I've used the Chinese one for high-end entertaining of people who know food.

There's always the question of just how adventurous people want to be. Avalon, which had until yesterday perhaps the top kitchen in town, has shut down because people did not want to work as hard at eating well as the chef/owner wanted them to.

Oro is safe but impressive -- great food, but enough familiar stuff people don't worry about goats' eyeballs.

BAK