Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Valbonne, Mougins, Antibes - recommend restaurants please!

Jun 16th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Original Poster

We will be based in Valbonne for a week in early July and looking for restaurants to eat in at night - nothing flash, just genuinely good French food in a genuine French atmosphere. In fact ideas for lunch in St Paul de Vence, Grasse, etc would also be welcomed!
Jun 17th, 2008, 06:20 AM

Be warned that you places you have mentioned are crowded by tourists. Most restaurants there are rip-offs.

A reliable source is www.viamichelin.fr

Click on "restaurants". That a restaurant is listed means already that it is recommended.
Jun 17th, 2008, 07:57 AM

For a pizza or other simple meal, the restaurants on the square are all ok, not too expensive. There's a small restaurant in a side street off the main square, called l'Ecran Solaire that's nice too.
Market in Valbonne on Friday is great.
I really can't agree that most restaurants are rip-offs.
Jun 17th, 2008, 09:00 AM

Valbonne is easy: Reestaurant Daniel Desavie, 1360 Route d'Antibes. The chef-owner trained for years with Roger Vergé, and Desavie's food is inspired. The setting is very country in and beautiful; Madame speaks fluent English, and the service is exellent. There's an outdoor dining area in addition to the main rooms.

Skip eating in Grasse; there's nothing special there. But down the road in old Mougins is one of our favorites, Le Feu Follet,
with good prix-fixe menus at reasonable prices.

In St-Paul we liked the "tearoom" La Cocarde, up on the left-hand side of the main street. It has a full menu and is open all day.

BTW, I've never noticed that Valbonne is crowded with tourists--unless you count the French. We have certainly not found that the restaurants are rip-offs.
Jun 19th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. Have made a note of the recommendations and advice - will be there in just over two weeks! Will post my experiences on return.
Oct 5th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Valbonne was wonderful - delightful village and wonderful surrounding areas to visit. Ate at Au Coin de la Rue which was great food, excellent value. Ate at another mediocre Italian theme place on the square on Saturday pm arrival (battled to get a table anywhere); and for the rest we decided to pick up delicious ready-made quiches and huge artichokes and the like from the deli in the "new" village area and enjoy the lovely view from and peace of our villa. Having been out tripping around in the day it was good to just relax in our lovely villa with simple but delicious French fare (wonderful huge artichokes too!!)The village was certainly active and busy but not overflowing with tourists at night. That said,I did hear alot of English accents as I wandered around, but there were certainly a number of Europeans/French around too - altogether a delightful place and experience. The restaurants on the square were always full and busy and with children running around whilst parents ate - too noisy and lacking in "charme" for me. Au Coin and a few others are on side streets - more atmosphere and French charm IMO.
Mar 22nd, 2009, 04:38 PM

Le Mas des Geraniums in Opio is very good. Lovely outdoor eating area. From Valbonne easy for dinner or lunch.

And we love Le Clos de St-Pierre in Le Rouret. A Michelin one star. Lunch 31 euros; dinner 45 or 54 euros.

And there's Auberge de Caussols (west of Gourdon). It's a destination lunch; plan on at least three hours. A highlight of our trip last summer.

Enjoy. You're going to one of my favorite areas. We'll be back the first half of June.
Mar 22nd, 2009, 07:49 PM

This is an old thread, but it's always good to get more information on an area that's somewhat off the tourist map.