Search

Birthday trip help!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2019, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Birthday trip help!

I am having the hardest time deciding on a place for my birthday trip. I was originally wanting AI for the ease of everything but I don't want Mexi, Jam or DR. Since knocking those options off the list there doesn't seem to be too many other places. There will be multiple people joining-mostly couples. Budget isn't too much of a factor but we are traveling in February so would like it to be warm enough to go in the water. Must haves are: tropical/warm, beaches, activities/excursions and good restaurants. Hotels or villas are more ideal. Open to any islands! TIA
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 01:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You are correct. By eliminating those 3 islands/country you lose the widest selection of All Inclusives.

At www.cheapcaribbean.com they have an option to sort by "All Inclusives". Maybe you can get some ideas there?
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

I think I’m going to have to give all inclusive up
I keep hearing of how unsafe Mexico, Jamaica and most recently Dominican Republic. So that’s what I said no to those coutures. Any suggestions on any places even if not AL?
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 06:56 PM

Since you've decided not to go AI then, in February, pretty much any island from Puerto Rico and south will be “tropical/warm, beaches, activities/excursions and good restaurants” and will have rental villas and, of course, hotels so - can you provide any additional information about what you’d like in a Caribbean vacation so we can help narrow down your choices?

Where will you be flying from?

Are you looking for a destination you can reach non-stop from your nearest International Gateway Airport or are you willing to take one or more connecting flights and/or ferries to reach your destination?

I know you said budget isn’t too much of a factor but it would really help if you could give us a dollar range you are willing to spend on accommodations. No sense giving you recommendations for a resort that might cost $1,000+/night if you only want to spend $500/night.

Likewise, what is your budget for airfare as can be high for some of the islands, especially those that require connecting flights.

What type of activities, if any, interest you?

Do you need an active nightlife or would you rather visit a very quiet island?

Old Jun 20th, 2019, 05:57 AM

junky: You know that AI resorts were started because the places were dangerous and an enclosed facility made people feel safe, don't you? LOL.
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 08:18 AM

You tagged Bermuda in your post. It is not in the Caribbean and is too far north to enjoy beach weather in February. We love the island and visit every year. Generally, high season is May to October.

We recently visited Barbados and loved it. Flew nonstop from Boston. We did not stay in an AI resort so can't comment on that aspect.
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 08:54 AM

There are a lot of AI hotels all around the Caribbean. Barbados has several good ones, so does Antigua, St Lucia, Tobago & Grenada for example.
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 09:21 AM

I keep hearing of how unsafe Mexico, Jamaica and most recently Dominican Republic.

Please don't disregard the entire beautiful country of Mexico because of something you "keep hearing".

I have vacationed in Mexico (Puerto Vallarta most often, Cabo, La Paz) for the past 3 decades, twice a year. I've been to Negril Jamaica a few times. I don't stay at resorts just normal hotels. Often I am traveling solo/as a female. They have all been wonderful trips.

Basically you are misinformed and need to more carefully read the 'travel warnings' and media sensationalism to sort out fact from rumor.

Yes I would skip the DR... for now... no argument there. suerte~suze
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 10:06 AM

Negril is not warm enough in Feb for me. Air & sea temps were a bit cool for my taste when we went in March. It was comfortable though. Negril is great, couple of my friends have been recently & another is scheduled to go in Nov to an all inclusive (sadly) on Bloody Bay.
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 10:57 AM

No comment on the weather, I'm sure you're right, I haven't been to Jamaica in the winter recently was there in July my last trip. More to the point about how "dangerous" Mexico and Jamaica were deemed by the OP so as to disregard them entirely.
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 11:25 AM

I agree, it’s silly to write off Jamaica & Mexico.
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I am back to looking at Mexico for cost effectiveness. Mainly the Playa Mujeres area. I’m flying from SC, USA. Multiple flight or ferries dont bother me. My husband and I scuba but no one else going is certified but would like to go on a dive or two if possible. We love to fish. I love the spa and beaches! I’m always down for exploring places. Budget I guess I would like to stay under $7,000 if possible including airfare. But there is wiggle room if a place requires it and seems to be special. At the same time if it’s a neat place and cheaper it’s a win win. I’ll look into Barbados and Antigua. Been there before but only by cruise. So I know I never got the whole picture.

Last edited by traveljunky325; Jun 20th, 2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 04:00 AM

Since you scuba divers, Cozumel is very good. We’re advanced OW divers and really enjoyed the diving there. We also did some diving around Isla Mujeres and saw whale sharks and some magnificent rays. There is plenty for non divers to see/do or maybe they can snorkel.
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 10:49 AM

You get a lot more bang for your buck in Mexico over the Caribbean (at least has been my experience, don't know the Mayan Riviera area or about diving specifically).
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 08:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Aruba is a great place for a group trip. There are several condos to rent from and some all inclusive options. The restaurants on the island however are pretty good so I would hate to be all inclusive. Beaches are good, nightlife is fun, good restaurants and in February, will be very warm.
Old Aug 11th, 2019, 10:17 AM

Spice Island Resort, Grenada, is all-inclusive .it's very pricey but well worth it. Beautiful beaches, great food and wonderful service.
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 07:50 AM

It was not on your list, so maybe you already know you wouldn’t like it, but what about St Martin? I would also consider St Lucia and Nevis.
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 07:59 AM

I was also thinking St. Maarten, or Anguilla.
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 11:49 AM

Saint Martin was badly hit by Irma, not sure what damage was done to any diving/snorkeling sites. I'd say the island appears to still be in recovery mode.

We were just visiting off a cruise ship and saw the debris still piled up on the French side. There was damage on the Dutch side, also. Our guide wound up in the bathroom shower, with the mattress over them. Sounded horrifying. His home is fixed up, but he has done a lot of the work himself.

He said the restaurants are better on the French side but it is safer on the Dutch side.

The ABC islands are generally not in the hurricance zone.

Last edited by mlgb; Dec 12th, 2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 05:51 AM

Oh wow. Thanks for updating on St. Maarten.