Search

Best Sandals to Chose?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Sandals to Chose?

Hi All- I am new to these boards but not new to Fodor's guide books. My husband and I are planning a trip to Sandals in January 2014. This will be a milestone celebration so we are willing to spend the dough. We will be celebrating his 50th birthday (October 2013) and graduation from nursing school (December 2013). I have been researching the various Jamaica Sandals and I am torn between Montego Bay, Grande Caribbean with offshore island (also in MoBay), Negril and the Whitehouse location. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks, Kim
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 06:35 AM

Negril will have the nicest beach, by far. The beaches in Mobay are sufficient, but many are man made and no near the quality of the beaches in Negril.

The Sandals Whitehouse is supposed to have an excellent beach as well.

If you do stick to Mobay, do not choose the Sandals Carlyle. It does not have a private beach.
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Something to think about!
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 10:39 AM
KVR

After staying at 2 Sandals resorts, I am not a big fan. (Sandals Royal Bahamian and St. Lucia Grande) They are overpriced for what they actually provide. IMPO, their brochures and website do not deplict reality.

Their resorts in Jamaica are the orginals except for Whitehouse. The Whitehouse and their new resort in Exuma, Bahamas gets the better reviews. Whitehouse is located about an hour outside of Negril and is rather secluded if that matters to you.

I would suggest that you read the reviews on Trip Advisor before making a decision.
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 03:43 PM

I've stayed at Sandals Grande St. Lucia, Sandals Antigua, Grande Riveria and Beach club, Ochos Rios Jamaica, and Beaches/Turks and Caicos. I liked Antigua the best overall. The newer mediterranean village is really nice. The beach (Dickenson) is fabulous! The resort is big, but not too big. I loved Turks - the beach and island is spectacular. But the resort is kid friendly, I didn't mind.....if you stay there, I'd look into the Italian Village.....

That said, I really liked the Grande Riveria and Beach club in Jamaica. It's huge. It's recently been rennovated. The beach is small/and a part of it is man made. We stayed up the hill in a villa. They have shuttles that will take you back and forth, that can be a drag....I didn't mind it. My friends have been to every Sandals....they really like Negril because every room is beachfront. they really like Whitehouse because it's newer... but they said there were "no see um's" bugs on the beach, I've heard this from 2 good friends on 2 different visits....Sandals Exuma would be my pick, but not in January as weather in the Bahamas in January can be cool....

Why Sandals...are you looking for only all-inclusives?
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 04:28 PM

Hi!

Montego Bay is kind of nightlife, social, partying atmosphere and the airport is nearby, so you have the airport noise factor. The best beaches are at Negril and Negril and Ocho Rios are the most quiet areas of Jamaica. Sandals Whitehouse gets rave reviews and is perhaps the most luxurious, upscale Sandals in Jamaica.

People love the Couples Resorts and they consistently get top reviews of hospitality, food and wine, accommodations, smaller and more romantic feel. If you aren't certain about Sandals, do check Couples Resorts - also check Secrets, they are also favorites with those for whom Sandals isn't a match.

Have a great day!
Julia
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 05:01 PM

I've been to a couple Sandals : Grande St Lucian and Sandals Whitehouse; we got a great deal on Whitehouse as it had just opened, but generally I think they're overpriced. If there was a good deal on Sandals Antigua however, I do think I might try it.....it looks gorgeous (at least in the pics). I'd recommend a Couples Resort, like Swept away or Couples Negril over Sandals however, I think the service is less spotty and the food is better.
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for ur responses. I have been looking at trip advisor and still researching. Taking couples into consideration as well.
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 07:53 PM

We stayed at the Negril Sandals about 5 years ago. The resort was very nice. You wouldnt expect it on the drive there given the surrounding poverty and 14 foot high fences surrounding the property. Once inside you were miles away. Grounds and beach were very nice. There were guards posted at either end of the beach ensuring your privacy/security. Food and service not so good but to a certain extent expected at an AI. It was our first AI and didnt realize that the no tipping policy meant limited service. Consider tipping anyway if service is important to you. And besides, I sincerely doubt the staff see any of the high price you pay to stay there. Our room was very nice and right on the beach. Water smooth as glass. Nearly all of the guests while we were there were in their 20's and we were by far the oldest guests there in our 40's. However given it was all couples, it was not a wild party scene. Loud music at the main pool all day but the second pool was very quiet and mellow so you had options should you choose pool days over beach days. The convenience factor of having all you needed on site at the resort made it a very relaxing vacation. Well, until the hurricane hit. But I was pleasantly surprised how much Sandals stood by their free replacement vacation policy. Went to Sandals La Toc St Lucia for the free replacement vacation. Just a stunningly beautiful island and resort and the food and service were much better.
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks grem. The st. Lucia locations have been a consideration as well. A lot to think about.
Old Nov 14th, 2012, 10:12 AM

Choosing a Sandals resort in Jamaica is not easy but based on your occasion I would say....

Sandals Whitehouse is the place for you to go. Majority of the people that stay at this hotel are celebrating a milestone celebration.

Here is a brieft desciption of each Sandals property. scroll to the end of the page and read Whitehouse's description..

http://www.jamaica-travel-secrets.co...n-jamaica.html
Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 11:11 PM

We've been to several Caribbean islands and have stayed at large chain hotels and small boutique resorts. The worst vacation we had was at Sandals Dunns River in Jamaica. I don't think it is run by Sandals anymore but in general I wouldn't want to go to a Sandals property again.

I felt very landlocked like I wasn't feeling the real vibe of the island. The room that we stayed in was one of the worst in our travels. The resort was very crowded and the service was not personalized. We went to Jamaica the year after we got married. I think we got sucked into their advertising. It's been a while since we were there. I now prefer smaller boutique resorts where I feel like a person not a number.
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 05:38 AM

We have been to six of the Sandals properties. Our all time favorite is Whitehouse. Both the staff and the food is the best. Very relaxing. We did take a helicopter over from MoBay as it is a longer drive and not the best. Another idea: Butch just bought Le Source in Grenanda. The bugs should be worked out by the time you go. That's a beautiful part of the Caribbean!
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 05:47 AM
KVR

"The worst vacation we had was at Sandals Dunns River in Jamaica. I don't think it is run by Sandals anymore"

We statyed at this resort December, 2011, which is now the Jewell Dunn's River and in no way assocaited with Sandals anymore. One of the better AI hotels that we have stayed out. It was definitely better than the 2 Sandals properties we have been to and about 1/2 the price.
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 07:34 AM

KVR - We stayed there many years ago and it probably changed since then. I tend to be biased because we've discovered that we don't enjoy AI properties. I like eating out every night and geting a taste of the local culture. If someone is specifically looking for an AI property, they will probably like it more than we did.