Best island value?

Dec 22nd, 2004, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Best island value?

As a vacation to Aruba gets closer, I'm beginning to wonder how costly this will really be? Are there good reasonable priced restaurants on the island or can I expect to pay big $$$$ every night?
Dec 22nd, 2004, 07:08 AM

In my opinion, Aruba's restuarants are not that expensive. I found them comparable to US prices.
Dec 22nd, 2004, 09:53 AM

I found the restaurant prices to be fairly high. It is an arid island and most fruits and vegetables have to be imported. As I enjoy eating fresh salads and such, I had to spend more money than I planned on food.
Dec 22nd, 2004, 05:17 PM

Len, the restaurants on Aruba are great it is probably one of its only redeeming qualities. For the most part the island is hit hard by tourism and American tourism and it shows. The wind there is terrible and obnoxious. If you can rebook your trip I'd do so.
Dec 23rd, 2004, 06:49 AM

Don't be put off by the previous comments, so unfair. I have been there twice and the wind hasn't been a problem. I am used to Philly prices and did not find Aruba any more expensive than here. Lots of good, reasonable restaurants. I was just there in November. Have a great time!
Dec 23rd, 2004, 07:17 AM
caribtraveler

I can't comment on the cost of food because we did an all inclusive when we were there and it was 5 years ago.
I can tell you we didn't feel any wind. What we felt was a breeze and it felt WONDERFUL with the heat. However, the breeze can make you forget the sun is beating down. My husband had a nice sunburn as proof.

Dec 23rd, 2004, 09:29 AM
AES

I'm in CT and found Aruba comparable to what we pay around here.

As for reasonably priced restaurants, yes, they do exist. We liked Salt & Pepper, which i think is by the Hyatt; Iguana Joe's & another open air place across the street (with a very dutch name -- I can't recall!), both in downtown.
Dec 23rd, 2004, 02:25 PM

You'll like Aruba. We were there in Sept. IMHO it doesnt have the "traditional" caribbean vibe, but a nice vibe just the same.

Car rentals are cheap on Aruba and the roads are great. We rented from Tropic for $165 for the week. Very good car and service.

There is great snorkeling from shore so you don't need to buy pricey snorkeling trips. They take you to the same places anyway.

The wind wasn't that bad when we were there. I don't know what the big deal is about it. It certainly keeps you cool. We never experienced very strong winds. it could be a seasonal thing.

Food is a bit pricey, but there are so many choices, you'll find something good in every price range.

Try King Ribs for a really cheap good barbecue. Its on the main highway that goes through Organgestead. It's not much to look at, but we both ate for $20!

Have fun and Peace Greenie
Dec 27th, 2004, 01:36 PM

Len,

You are fretty way too much. There are plenty of dining choices to fit almost any budget in Aruba. You may have to drive or take a Taxi depending on where you want to go.

Since your staying at the Holiday Inn, consider one or two dinner at the Hyatt (its a 3-5 minute walk along the beach from your hotel). They have a restaurant that offers nightly all you can eat dinner theme. Cost was about $20 per person and includes one alcholic beverage (Our dinner tab for 2 adults and one child including tip was $55).

For breakfast and lunch, there is a Dunkin Donuts and Sbarro across the street. The Playa Linda, which is next door to the Holiday Inn has a Subway sandwich shop and a Deli/Coffee shop. The sandwiches at Subway ran about $4 each and a breakfast sandwich at the coffee shop ran about the same. A donut and coffee at Dunkin Donuts (also across the street) can be had for about $3. I had huge chicken parm and and pasta meal at Sbarro's for $8.

In Oranjestad, we split an order of nachos, a round of cocktails, a kids meal at Iguano Joes. Cost was $30 including tip. So you see Len, eating in Aruba doesn't have to be expensive.

Another cost cutting measure is to buy some beer, beverage and/or some food in the local food store and keep it in your room. If your room doesn't have a fridge inquire if you can rent one or purchase a styrofoam cooler chest and use the ice from the hotel's ice machine (if they have one) to keep things nice and cold. If you like mixed drinks, purchase the hard alcohol in the airport upon your arrival so all you have to purchase is the soda and cups.

Pick up the Aruba experience booklet (you'll find it in the airport and at the hotels. It contains a road map of the island, restaurant ads and coupons). You can also go to their web site, www.arubaexperience.com. Also, see what dining coupons are available at your hotel.

Yes, Aruba is touristy and can be expensive (but any place can be depending on what you do and where you go). It is, however, clean, safe and the beaches are wonderful. Since my husband and I took our 3 year old son along with us, I packed packed eye wash with me because of the "wind" stories. I never had to use it.

Have a great time! Bon Bini!