Best hike - St. Kitts or Nevis?

Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Best hike - St. Kitts or Nevis?

We will be spending a week on St. Kitts and then a week on Nevis.
I've read the posts about the hiking tours, and now have a question:

1. If we were to spend one day taking an all day hike, which island would you say offers the better 'hike to the top' - St. Kitts or Nevis?

I guess one other question would be - on any given day is one island's mountain peak less frequently covered by clouds?
I climbed Mt. Scenery on Saba and that had cloud cover almost all day. The climb is great, but it would be nice to see the view from the top as well.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 05:25 AM

Both are fairly difficult hikes but which is better depends more on your individual persceptions - you are comparing apples and oranges - neither is better - just different.

There's no way to predict which will be cloudless for the longest period. Both peaks are roughly the same altitude and get the same amount of sporadic cloud cover on any given day. Not much different than Saba which is only about 20 miles or so from St. Kitts and 28 miles from Nevis.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 07:18 AM

I've not hiked either one but I've vacationed separately on both St. Kitts and Nevis. Both Mt Nevis and Mt Liamuiga were shrouded in clouds pretty much all day, every day, on both trips.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 07:53 AM
cdw

We did the hike on St. Kitts and had a really cool guide. We had a picnic on this tiny little area on the rim of the volcano. It was a clear day and was awesome!
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 08:04 AM

I also recommend the hike on St. Kitts. It was strenuous, but the woods that you hike through are beautiful and the view from the top (both of the island and of the caldera) was great.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 09:24 AM

First choice would be St.Kitts but be flexible and pick a clear cloudless day if you can. It's tough because it might be cloudy in the morning and burn off by midday but who wants to hike a rainforest at midday?!
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 12:24 PM

I understand the hike on Nevis is tougher. We're in our 50's and did the one on St. Kitts. It was awesome. We were pretty tired when we were done, but it was a great day.
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 09:06 AM

My family and I vacationed on St. Kitts so we could climb Mt. Liamuiga. It was one of the most difficult things I have ever done, but well worth it! (Think hiking and rock climbing all in one.) Our guide was excellent, the view at the top of the crater spectacular, and the chance to share this experience with my family -priceless.
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 11:56 AM

Hiking is one of the most popular activities on Nevis. There are several trails which you can follow to explore the rainforest that surrounds the volcano of Nevis Peak.
I recommend you go with an experienced local guide, who will lead you through safely and explain all the plants and wildlife, as it is fascinating to listen to.