Best golf course in the Caribbean...go!

Old Aug 28th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best golf course in the Caribbean...go!

hello...

What do you think is the most picturesque, most playable course that's either public or a resort (or may be private and a hotel can get my husband on.)

We're planning a November "babymoon" and want some R&R - but want him to have some fun too.

At the top of the list - Raffles Canouan, but I'm not thrilled with the puddle-jumper from Barbados.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 11:31 AM

Gotta go with the golf course at the Four Seasons on Nevis. I played and the course was both beautiful and was a good layout.

One word of caution, if you are not staying at the FS, and we did not, they won't let you play until after 11 am or so. Even in November and there were maybe three groups on the course.

That said, I highly recommend it.

And as for lodging, we stayed at Montpelier and Nisbet for one week each. Enjoyed each one and we're returning to Montpelier this December...the first time we've ever returned to the same island.

Dave.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 12:25 PM

We took the express from Barbados to Bequia a few years ago and it was fine. I would not let this deter you from visiting this beautiful area. We took a day trip to Tobago Cays and Canouan which is the most beautiful place I have been thus far!
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 12:40 PM
iw

The course at the 4S in Nevis is beautiful. I would check into the tee time situation.
I have also heard good things about the course down the road from the Marriott in St. Kitts.

Having said that, I didn't used to be a fan of puddle hoppers/jumpers, but I love to travel, so it can be done. If I could land in St. Barths and have a blast doing so, you can land anywhere!
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 06:53 PM

I don't know about absolutely the best, but I'm from Scotland, so have some pretty high standards on golf courses (after all, we invented the game and have some of the very best and most beautiful courses anywhere).

I was blown away by the White Witch course in MoBay. Very tough (but fair) course, and incredibly gorgeous.

MoBay is also a LOT closer to the US for your babymoon than Canouan or Nevis !

I'd suggest staying at the Ritz Carlton or (better yet in my book) Half Moon in MoBay.. golf at White Witch at least once (maybe twice), but also at Half Moon, plus Cinnamon Hill nearby is worth playing too
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 05:38 AM

Check out Teeth of the Dog at Casa DeCampo on the Dominican Republic. It's one of the best in the Caribbean. Also look at Sandy Lane on Barbados. Both of those islands can be reach non-stop on big jets from the US so you don't have to worry about puddle jumpers. Finally, Puerto Rico has more golf course resorts than you can count check out what's available.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 10:16 AM

The course at the Ritz in Cayman was highly rated by my golf playing husband. And the hotel was fabulous for both of us
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 09:36 AM

The Four Season's Nevis hands down. BUT... as DavefromCA noted they take care of their paying guests first so if you stay off the 4S resort you will have to accept a later tee time. An outside foursome can usually get off before 11am. Your hotel will arrange it for you with 4S pro shop. But, hey, why not just stay at the 4S and enjoy everything they have to offer?
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 06:35 AM

Try this:
http://www.mahoganyrungolf.com/course.asp
And be afraid of "The Devils Triangle." Be very afraid.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Four Seasons - would love to stay there, but for some reason their shoulder season is pricing at 600 a night. No way!

Hubby wont go to Puerto Rico or Dominican Republic despite the slew of fabulous golf courses. Wants something more "tropical."

Sandy Lane - 1000 a night. I wonder if we can play any of their courses without staying there. Hmm...

So far Canouan is winning out. Anything about Tierra del Sol in Aruba?

Thanks everyone!
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 12:49 PM

I was told that TDS is very, very windy, so much so as to take awy from the experience of playing it.