best all inclusives in the Caribbean

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just had a very disappointing vacation in Maui, I guess no one told our travel agent it was rainy season. Next winter we want a SUNNY all inclusive in the Caribbean, comperable to Sandals or better and would LOVE suggestions.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

someone please give me some suggestions.
Thanks
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 05:30 AM

We have been to Sandals 10 times and have done a few other resort as well, Sandals has spoiled us. Back to Sandals in 2 weeks.....
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 05:59 AM

Kimberly loves the Sandals resorts and I suggest you get more information from her about her favorites--you could also search this forum and read her previous posts. She's been to most, if not all of the Sandals, and many of them have been repeat visits. Learning more from her will help you make your decision.

I, on the other hand, am not a Sandals fan *at all* and would strongly advise you to broaden your search for AI vacations in the Caribbean. My anti-Sandals position is both practical and political, so I won't go into all of that here, but I'm of the opinion that if you want an all-inclusive experience, there are better ways of getting it than going through Sandals.

So, you're traveling next winter, but where are you traveling from and what kind of budget are you looking for? What's your vacation style? Wild & rowdy? Quiet & romantic? Active & on the go? Do you want to see more of your destination than just your resort? Or do you want to basically sit by the beach and pool and relax each day? Are you a foodie? Or are you comfortable eating buffet style for most meals?

Knowing the answer to these questions is essential before we can make meaningful suggestions.

Old Feb 8th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Coming from the West Coast, can only take time in January. We would love sun, good food and nightly entertainment as well as daytime activities. Not wild but interesting and classy
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 08:04 AM
KVR

Look at the Couples Resorts, Royal Plantation, and Grand Lido Resorts in Jamaica. Galley Bay and Jumby Bay in Antigua.

I've found AI hotels in the Maya Rivieria have more amenties, nicer rooms and a lower price than any Sandals. (we've been to 2 Sandals and thought they were way overpriced for what they provide) Look at the Iberostar Grand Hotel Parasio, Royal Hidaway, Adventura Spa Palace, Moon Palace, Secrets Capri and Excellance Riviera to name a few.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 11:20 AM

I would suggest checking out when the rainy seasons are rather than putting that responsibility on a travel agent.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

I guess my understanding is that in today's world with the internet the average person can arrange everything on their own so a travel agent is used for their expertise in planning a trip ie; rainy seasons in certain areas. This area wasn't even a thought to us but was suggested by an agent when we said all we wanted to do was lie in the sun for a week anywhere except Mexico
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 05:23 AM

Most of the Caribbean is a long haul trip from the west coast, unfortunately. You still haven't given a price range, so I just want to make sure that you realize you want to travel at the most expensive time of year.

In the winter you should be fine in terms of rain on most islands. You might get winter winds or swells in the water, however.

I'll second the previous poster's suggestion of the Couples Resorts in Jamaica, particularly Swept Away in Negril.

For less money, on Antigua check out the Grand Pineapple Beach Resort or Cocobay.
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

I guess minus airfare because we have points we would like to spend $4000 or less for one week for 2 people.
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 10:08 AM

That kind of budget might get you into a Sandals during high season, especially if you can find a discount. I'd just caution you that no on can really predict this far out that you will have sunny weather during a specific week.

If I were making this trip, I'd probably choose Negril in Jamaica (there's an overnight flight on Air Jamaica from LA). If you're not flying from LAX, then it's really hard to get to the Caribbean in a reasonable amount of time.

Old Feb 9th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

anywhere other than Jamaica? One place I've been where I have not felt safe
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 09:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Nobody told us about the rain on Maui either. I guess we should have thought--lush vegetation, rain!

Spent 12 days there in March-- it rained for 10!!! And I mean gray, pouring rain.

We looked at a rain chart for the past 20 years and it was all over the plce--no rhyme or reason or pattern to it.

It's back to the Caribbean for us---17 years of great weather, sun, and gorgeuos blue water.

All of the Sandals resorts are beautiful. As are all of the islands. You will like each one for different reasons.

Tell us what you want to do and what you are looking for.

If you are going in January, I would go south of the Bahamas and the Virgins. Been there in early Feb. a few times. Nice weather, but not as perfect as you would like.

Some of our favorites: Anguilla, St. Bart's, and Barbados(but that is a really long haul for you.

Also Aruba. Even with all the bad press lately, it is a great place to visit.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 09:55 AM
EJC

Safety & sun.......Try Grand Cayman...... the WESTIN (sorry no AI).......Or try one the condos right on 7 Mile Beach.........Just do a search..
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Just looking for reliable beach weather, good food, nice entertainment at night and good accomodations with soft beds (my husband has arthritis). We want AI because we are so busy in our lives on holiday we just want to plant ourselves.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 02:24 PM

If you're really concerned about the reliability of the beach weather, then choose Aruba, where there is less rain, no safety issues, and lots of AIs.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 08:02 AM
KVR

I wouldn't agree that Aruba is the best destination to pick a AI hotel there and just plop yourself at it for a week's vacation. Aruba has so many really nice resturants, bars and things to see and do. It would be a shame to whole up at a AI resort and not experience any of it.

If your wanting a Sandals type resort with good weather in January, I would look at Sandals in Antigua. There are not too many destinations that have Sandals type amenties that are AI except in the Rivieria Maya or Dominican Republic.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 01:35 PM

Bitter End Yacht Club
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 09:33 AM

Is there a reason you are so anti-Mexico? I ask because the resorts in the Riviera Maya are, at the 4 star level, heads and shoulders above anything Sandals has to offer and are at a lower price point. Having experienced both I have to say that I always feel that I got my money's worth in Mexico but come back from Sandals thinking that it was just was not quite worth the money. As an example, if you would like a daily stocked mini-bar in your room and the ability to order room service at any time you will be required to book the most expensive room rate Sandals has to offer. The cheaper rates offer neither. In Mexico this is a standard at the better resorts. There are other differences as well. But, to each their own.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 10:00 AM

Check out Palm Island in the Grenadines it's certainly got the WOW factor.Not much entertainment but wonderful.