Bermuda- Which large/luxury hotel to stay?

Old Nov 7th, 2004, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bermuda- Which large/luxury hotel to stay?

Hello-
My wife and I are celebrating our fifth anniversary and, after hearing many great things for years, have decided to go to Bermuda. We prefer larger resorts/hotels with more amenities, such as fitness centers, restaurants, and a spa, and nice pool facilities. Conversely, we don't necessarily want to totally lose privacy.

Any suggestions or ideas? Thank you very much.

J & D
Virginia
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 06:55 AM
sp

I would look into Pompano Beach Resort. I've been to a bunch of resorts in Bermuda, and have found this to be the best for a romantic getaway. Their only downfall is that their beach is small, but everything else about the resort makes up for it. The staff is the best - they are so friendly and accommodating - nothing compares. What we can't stand with some resorts is the stuffiness - at Pompano there is not a hint of this, and the people that stay there are the same. The dining is gourmet (and is excellent) - with sunset views. The fitness room is surrounded by windows and is right next to the water - will be the best workout of your life. They also have a fabulous spa. I could go on and on, but believe me, especially being your first time in Bermuda, I would consider staying there to have a true, charm-filled Bermudian experience. Check out their website at www.pompano.bm - Congrats!
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 09:16 AM

The Southhampton Princess is supposed to be really nice.
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 06:05 PM

Count my vote for Cambridge Beaches. Excellent spa (also a very good one at the Southhampton Princess and Ariel Sands), very private, elegant rooms, five beaches,nice pools, first rate fitness center. As special as a Fifth anniversary can be!
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 04:32 AM

The Southampton Princess, www.fairmont.com/southampton, has everything that you are looking for. Because it is a large hotel, however, you will have less privacy than a more intimate hotel. They do offer a meal plan, but I would not suggest it. There are many wonderful restaurants around Bermuda for you to experience. Because the Southampton has restaurants on-sight, you do also have the option of staying close to eat.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 04:35 AM

oops! that should be on-site...my head is a little foggy this morning because of a head cold!
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 03:27 PM

By far the best hotel on Bermuda is The Reefs, its not large and its not cheap but do check it out.
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 11:35 AM

I would also suggest the Fairmont Southampton. (Caution there are two Fairmont's in Bermuda) It's a big hotel, offers pretty much everything and provides the best views on the island. I've stayed there a couple of times this year (2004) and have been very pleased. Given the fairly good proximity to Atlanta, I'm now exploring the possibilty of moving there (have you reviewed their tax laws? !!).
Erik Poole
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 01:19 PM

HI

First of all - Congrats to you!

Okay, I have some advise for you as a person married to a Bermudian (we both moved back to Jamaica two years ago) - and I lived there for 17 years, since I was 18!!

Anyway - here is what I think you should do....do not stay at a larger hotel - I do not think they are "up to par" and they do not have five star service or decor. (Please understand, I am not critiqueing in a bad way, I am a Hotel Management Major - so please listen!!)

There are some excellent tidbits from the other writers - The Reefs is one of the best hotels there, and Cambridge Beaches - they are smaller hotels, but you get pampered and there is good service. Also Pompano is lovely.

Do not stay at Sonesta, Fairmont or Southampton Princess.

If you need to hear anything else, or my perspective please e-mail me at [email protected]

A footnote to the person who wrote in about the tax laws - that is not going to last, so be careful.

Congrats again!
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 04:58 PM

Our taxi driver rated the 3 big beach hotels the following way: 1) Southampton Princess 2) Elbow Beach and 3) Sonesta.

We stayed in town at that Princess. Did not appreciate the constuction noise going past 5 pm (April of '03) but we did like their free ferry that went over to their Southampton property.

Their shuttle (Southampton) that went down to the beach was also very convenient. Didn't care for our shuttle driver who had a sarcastic mouth; maybe he's now working where he has no access to guests.

Old Nov 25th, 2004, 02:25 AM

The service in Bermuda can be challenging. Due to the fact that they pride themselves on being a "first world country" - you will sometimes find snobby attidtudes within the hotel and restaurant business. Also, the taxi drivers can be like this as well. Don't take it personally -

If you want good service, I cannnot stress enough to NOT book into a larger hotel. PLease, please listen to what I am saying - I worked in the industry there for years and years. As I said before - The Reefs, Cambridge Beaches, and Pompano - not another place can be guaranteed to have 100% friendly service.
Old Nov 25th, 2004, 07:58 AM

The original poster specifically said that large hotels are his preference.
I will say that IMO Bermuda desrves a 5 star quality hotel, but lacks one (large or otherwise). The rooms at the Fairmont(s) are nice enough, and all redone at Southhampton this past spring. But they're not outstanding in any way. They're the quality of a good business class hotel in the USA. Cambridge and The Reefs offer better service, helped by their smaller size. The rooms are nice enough but not special in any way.
So if someone really values the amenities of a large resort, and isn't so concerned about top service versus average to good service, then the Fairmont SH would be the best choice on the island IMO.