Bermuda Transportation

Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Bermuda Transportation

We are returning to Bermuda this June for the first time since our honeymoon to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. We know we can't rent a car and although we are fairly active we are not too keen on driving mopeds to get around. We would like to be able to come and go around the island as we please and are wondering if anyone knows of a private car/driver that we can hire for our exclusive use during our stay. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:48 AM

I don't know about a car service, but Bermuda has a wonderful public bus and ferry system that runs very frequently and is easy to use, and will get you almost anywhere on the island.

You can buy multi-day bus passes very inexpensively too.
Mar 4th, 2006, 10:59 AM

I am sure there are taxi drivers who do this. Why not email the department of tourism, or ask at where you are staying.
As you know the bus system is very good,
but having a driver would be wonderful.

We first went to Bermuda in 1973, and got use to riding mopeds at a young age! We have been over 30 times now! The mopeds are faster, lots more traffic, too many fast drivers!!!
There are always lots of accidents.

Will this be your first time back?
Mar 4th, 2006, 02:31 PM

I have to second the motion to simply plan to use Bermuda's excellent public transportation system. The ferries are wonderful and I use them as much as possible. The buses are clean, modern and ON TIME. While I do ride the mopeds I only do it during daylight, non rush hour (and, yes, Bermuda has them now), dry days, and never after drinking. I do need a cab for other times. I have found that most hotels have particular cab drivers willing to handle clients for the duration of their stay. I suggest you call your concierge for recommendations.
Mar 4th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, we appreciate the information. For the record we've e-mailed the concierge at our hotel but have not heard back yet. We are aware of the public trnsportation system but like the concept of having our own driver so we can travel at our liesure. We realize it might be costly but fortunately we are in a position where that is not an issue. A "regular" cab driver for the duration of our stay will work out fine but we will make do with what ever is available.

To penny, yes it will be our first time back to Bermuda since our honeymoon 40 years ago.

Mar 5th, 2006, 06:02 AM

This will really be a fun trip for you. The island is still the same in many ways, yet lots of changes have taken place. You will still love it!

Are you staying at the same hotel?

Mar 5th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Different hotel. First time we stayed at Elbow Beach. This time it's Cambridge Beaches (our taste in hotels has changed over the years). We kissed in a Moongate 40 years ago and it brought our marrage good luck. We plan on doing it again. Looking forward to the trip.
Apr 19th, 2006, 02:10 PM

never emil the concierge - call directly. We have all become so dependant on non-personal interaction we have forgotten how far personal transactions gets us! Just pick up the phone!
Apr 20th, 2006, 09:00 AM

Don't know if you'll like this idea, but we've really enjoyed so many different cab drivers in Bermuda. Maybe just see who get based upon random calls from your hotel, luck of the draw at the airport, and pick one when you're there? So many characters! I'll dig through my stuff at home and see if I can find some cards we have from drivers there.
Apr 21st, 2006, 09:46 AM

The ferries are now "high speed" and go from St. George and Hamilton...We use the buses...and I agree not to rent a moped.. There have been I think three deaths so far this year... Bermuda is changing and you better visit before it's not the Bermuda you remember.. Front Street shops that we fondly remember are closed as are many in St. George, but the Dockyard is a must.
Apr 21st, 2006, 02:16 PM

While there are some new high speed ferries in service, the old familiar ones are still making runs (or at least they still were in December).