Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Bermuda hotel options: Cambridge Beach or Pompano?

Jun 9th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

We are vacationing in Bermuda at the end of July and trying to decide between the following hotels: Cambridge and Pompano. I understand Cambridge is more upscale, which we certainly appreciate, but I hear it's very secluded. We would love to explore beaches, see the island, experience the island's culture, and visit Hamilton with relative ease. We will not be renting mopeds. Does anyone have experience with both of these properties?
Many thanks!!
Jun 9th, 2010, 09:15 AM

As a matter of fact we will be at Pompano again this year at the end of July for our 4th time !! I love that place ! From the moment you arrive they treat you like family and the beach is to die for ! But if it's luxury accomodations that you are looking for it's not the place - the rooms are a little worn but so is the rest of the property but it's quaint and very clean. The beach is small but the water is calm and we love renting the motorized "lounge" chairs to ride out to the coral reef - grab a drink at the beach bar and hop on the lounge chair - it's heavenly !! We can afford much better places but nothing beats Pompano !! Plus if you golf Port Royal is right next door. Oh - get the meal plan - the food is awesome !!
Jun 9th, 2010, 11:48 AM

we were at Cambridge Beaches about two years ago and went to Pompano one night for dinner. From my limited observation I'd have to agree with JerseySue that Pompano certainly isn't in the same league as Cambridge. We thought the food at Pompano was just OK - there are much better places around the island to dine.

Now, Cambridge is far out on the tip of Bermuda and you'll spend a fortune in cab fare getting around the island if that is to be your main means of transportation. You can "walk to the bus stop" so if you are comfortable with the vagaries of public transportation that a viable way of economical travel around the island. For what it is worth, if you don't rent mopeds you'll be faced with the same transportation dilemma no mater whether you stay at Pompano or Cambridge.

We are "senior citizns" and not comfortable driving mopeds so we relied on taxis during our stay. Maybe it was us, but we often had difficulty finding available taxis. The night we had dinner at Pompano we asked the Maitre D' to call us a cab (there were none waiting around the hotel) and it was well over an hour before one came to pick us up. Similarily, every time we decided to leave our hotel we had to call the Front Desk and order a taxi. Often it would be 30 minutes or longer before we were picked up. On another occasion we asked the Concierge (the evening before) to arrange for a driver/guide to give a day long tour of the island. We went to the Front Office at the appointed time and there was no driver. Several requests and 2.5 hours later the driver/guide had still not shown up. Needless to say we cancelled the trip. I don't know if it was the incompetance of the Concierge or a lackadasical attitude on the part of the local taxi drivers but that experience certainly did a lot to ruin our stay. They also screwed up our transportation to and from the airport.

The grounds at Cambridge were very nice, our room was fantastic (we were upgraded to a suite) and the food was quite good. The transportation, however, was a disaster. If we ever go back to Bermuda we'd stay elsewhere.
Jun 9th, 2010, 05:09 PM

We were lucky that everytime we went we were able to "hook-up" with a Taxi driver who would give us his cell number and that worked out great - but...we did tip him well - but like you saw it was worth it ! As far as the food at Pompano when RoamsAround was there I would agree but last year the food was definitely alot better. Plus they have the "dine around" option and you can have dinner at a few other hotels included in the meal plan. I think you guys would love Pompano ! We are well traveled and have stayed at many 5 stars but the hospitality and quaintness keeps us coming back ! I like to hear if you guys go and what you thought !
Jun 10th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

JerseySue and Roamsaround- thank you for your thoughts and opinions. We typically like to be close to good restaurants and bars but we are heading to Bermuda to truly relax and explore. However, we are struggling with being so secluded at Cambridge. I appreciate your honesty on the cab situation! We will be sure to write when we return- just so excited to see as much of the beautiful island as possible! Thank you and safe travels!
Jun 10th, 2010, 01:25 PM

I love both properties and appreciate you have a tough choice. The ferry and bus are both quite convenient to Pompano, a little less so to Cambridge Beaches. The food at Cambridge is better and they have a very nice spa. The atmosphere at Pompano is a bit more relaxed and clubby.

I suggest you ask whichever hotel you choose to send a cab to the airport for you. They will select a driver with whom they have done business. You will be able to establish a relationship with the driver on your way to the hotel.

Have a wonderful time in beautiful Bermuda.