Search

Bermuda in the rain

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2007, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bermuda in the rain

Heading to Bermuda tomorrow (Saturday) and it looks as if bad weather is coming in by Sunday night and staying for a few days. Any advice on things to do if the sun isn't shining? Still keeping my fingers crossed that the weatherman is wrong! Thanks, everyone.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 05:13 AM

I recommend a visit to the Underwater Exploration Museum and lunch at the Bistro at La Coquille (in the same building). Take a ferry ride out to Dockyard and spend some time in the shops at Dockyard.
Even in the rain, Bermuda is a very special place. Have a wonderful trip.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 05:13 AM

Unfortunately Bermuda is not a great place to be when it's raining. Can I ask where you are staying while you're there?

I'm not sure what you're interests are but here are the few ideas that I could come up with:

1. Spend the day at the spa (again not sure if this interests you) but Bermuda has some great spas. I recommend the Willowstream Spa at the Southampton Princess and the Spa at Cambridge Beaches. Probably the Willowstream is better for spending the whole day. You can check it out online on Fairmont's website.

2. Shopping / Eating in Hamilton - Bring an umbrella and enjoy the shops. Lots of places to have an extended lunch!

3. Take a taxi tour - they charge by the hour and will take you all over the island (or just hop on the bus for the day and see where it takes you!)

4. Visit the Aquarium in Flatt's Village.

5. Shopping / Eating at the Royal Navy Dockyard plus a visit to the Maritime Museum.

That's about all my thoughts on what to do in Bermuda in the rain. Good luck and hopefully the weather is better than forecasted! If it's warm, enjoy Bermuda anyways (it's always fun to walk on the beach when it's raining and no one else is there!)
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

cmcfong, do you live locally? I've seen you post often on this forum. If so, does the forecast I saw match what you've heard?

We are staying at The Reefs.

Thanks.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 06:57 AM

No, bluesky9ny, I don't live in Bermuda...I just go there frequently and have for over thirty years. I love it there. The Reefs is a gorgeous resort and the spa is quite nice. You will be very happy with your choice.

Caryanne is a former resident and her suggestions are quite good. I do have to take issue with her statement that Bermuda is not a great place to be when it is raining...while it is true I like it best when the sun is shining, Bermuda is always a great place to be. Have a wonderful time!
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 08:40 AM

cmcfong - I agree that Bermuda is always a great place to be. However I lived there for 6 years and have to say I really struggled with things to do when it was raining (especially in February when it would rain for the full month straight). I also remember having many visitors struggle with what to do in Bermuda when it rained.

bluesky9ny - Your weather forecast matches what I saw on www.weather.bm (the most local weather). I'd say Monday will be your worst day (due to strong winds as well). If it were me, I'd be booking myself into the Willowstream Spa for the day and bring a really great book to read!

caryanne
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you. Somehow, I thought I was safe with the weather in June. I appreciate your suggestions. What do you know about the spa on property at The Reefs, La Serena?
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 04:51 PM

I've been to the spa at the Reefs and while the massage I had there was great, it is very very modest. Basically just two rooms and a reception area (in fact I was early and they told me to go for a walk because there is really no place to sit). Again, the masseuse I had was wonderful, but it is not a "spa" in the terms we are coming to know at many luxury hotels.

So sorry about the rain; we had days of rain in Turks and Caicos this March and it was a big drag.

Try and do the dine-around at the Reefs--it is mysterious, put yourself on the list and check every day with the front desk; we never "got" Cambridge Beaches which we wanted to try, but did go to Pomapano Beach--it was fun to see another property, but the food was superior at the Reefs.

Happy to answer other questions before you leave.

Mary in D.C.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 05:33 PM

Willowstream spa at the Fairmont Southhampton is very close to the Reefs, so you can book there if you prefer. It is quite nice.

have a wonderful time!
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 04:15 PM

Hey bluesky, just wondered how your trip was. . .hope it didn't rain the whole time
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Check my post "Back from Bermuda/The Reefs"
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 09:18 PM

Hi bluesky9ny

I've read your Bermuda post but you don't mention any rain.

What did you do when it rained?

Your information can help future posters here
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

We were very fortunate with the weather, actually, in light of the tropical storm that was coming up the east coast. There was only one night that we saw the moon...the rest were very overcast. Most mornings were also cloudy, but the clouds burned off most days by around 1 or 2. We did have one day with real rain coming down, and we ended up meeting friends of ours who were staying elsewhere on the island. They wanted to do the Crystal Caves, and so we did. There are two separate cave tours at the same location, each one lasting about 20-25 minutes. They were interesting enough. Just an FYI, lots of steps to consider if it would be an issue. After the tour, we shared a taxi into Hamilton and ducked in and out of shops. By around 3 pm the sun was out, and we headed back to the Reefs to enjoy a little beach/infiniti pool time! The outdoor restaurants at the Reefs all had zip down sides for nights when the weather wasn't good. All in all, no real problems.