Belize....Worth checking out?

Jun 24th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Scott

Belize....Worth checking out?

Hello,

I am wondering what type of resorts there are on Belize. It looks like a beautiful place, but I'm a bit skeptical on the resorts available. I am looking for oceanfront, but it must have a/c. Are there any decent places like this available? Restaurants? Beaches? Please help.....

Jun 24th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Marisa

Belize is for the adventurous traveler--if you saw "Temptation Island" you know that Morgan's Retreat was very nice (where it was filmed). Where in the Caribbean would you see Jaguars?

Jun 24th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Kathleen

Hi Scott,
I went to Belize 7 years ago and it was beautiful. I stayed at a resort called Journey's End on Ambergris Cay. I loved it. It was right on the ocean, the room was on a lagoon and the terrace at night was wonderful. You can sit on your lounge chair and watch the stars shoot across the sky, since there is no city lights to distract form the night sky, every night was the 4th of July. The property is safe so you can walk aaround at 2:00 in the morning and not worry. Theres a great "Tiki Bar" and beach service. The room were air conditioned, with a mini fridge. Breakfast and dinner was served in the resort resturant. Lunch was served at the pool bar. This is not the place to go for culinary delights - the food is good but simple.(You can go to dinner in shorts, t shirt and bare feet.) Everything was brought in on a barge, except for fish root vegetables, miliken beer and Belinda's hot sauce. The diving and snorkeling was top notch - actually you did not have to dive to take in the beauty, snorkeling was just fine, there was sea life in even an inch of seawater and you don't have to dive down 20 feet to see it. If you do dive the Blue hole is right there and Journey's End is right inside the reef (2nd only to the Great Barrier Reef)They alos have scheduled dive trips on padi boats with dive masters. There are guides that will take you fishing outside the reef, gets rough. They supply the rods reels bait and will take you to a deserted island and cook your fish that you caught over an open fire for lunch. I remember seeing Dolphins jumping out of the water, a flying fish jumped out of the water and flew next to our boat as it headed back in. We also took a catamaran (no charge from the resort) to the town of San Pedro, walked around town, went to lunch did some shopping.There is also scheduled boats to take you to town, so you can go into town for dinner to break up the routine and explore. It was not an ultra luxurious experience, I'm sure now there are more luxurious resorts, but I liked Journey's End very much. Belize is still untouched, there are no roads to the resort can be reached by boat launch only, which the resort picks you up. The rooms were pretty and clean and very big. The people are friendly and extremely nice. We had a great time as it was more than a vacation but a great experience I will never forget. I highly recommend it, I hope it never gets "touristy" its perfect just the way it is. Just remember to bring lots of strong sunscreen that was the hottest sun I have ever felt anywhere,Africa kind of hot. You could feel the sun pierce your skin. Dont over pack I wore half the clothes I packed. All you need is lots of bathing suits, lots of t shirts, shorts and a good pair of sport sandals. You cant walk anywhere barefoot during the day its really hot.
Hope this was helpful!

Jun 24th, 2002, 04:49 PM
Kathleen

Hi Scott,
Just checked the website for Journeys End(journeysendresort.com) Looks pretty much the same. We stayed in Ocean front room, it was great.

Jun 24th, 2002, 04:59 PM
Peggy

We just stayed at Portofino's on Ambergris Caye & Cayo Espanto (private island..mucho $$$ but fantastic)in April. It was great. Quiet, practically had the beach to ourselves at Portofino's but you could catch a boat into town for other restaurants & entertainment. Laid-back, friendly atmosphere, good food, nice people, good snorkeling at the reef. It's worth the trip & we didn't get a chance to go inland which we will do another time.

Jun 25th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Scott

Thankyou all for your replies...I'll check them all out.

Jun 26th, 2002, 12:09 AM
joe

What about the potential for malaria in Belize? I was researching Belize and came across this:

http://www.fitfortravel.scot.nhs.uk/Country/Belize_Malaria_Map.htm