Been There, Where Next???

Nov 27th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Been There, Where Next???

After fabulous trips to Cap Juluca, Caneel Bay and Runaway Hill, we are stumped as to where to head next. Nevis? Turks & Caicos? Little Dix? Barbados? Out Islands Bahamas?
So many great places, too many boards to read. Please help narrow our search based on where we've already been!
Thanks!
Nov 27th, 2007, 05:14 PM

The new issue of Travel & Leisure magazine has a good spread of where to go in the Caribbean. I've only been to Turks & Caicos, St. John (Caneel too, loved it!), and Tortola.

I would say Nevis. It seems like a really special place that is different by all accounts. You could stay at the Four Seasons (which has really good summer airfare specials that credits you $500 on to your bill) or Nisbet Plantation Beach Club.
Nov 28th, 2007, 04:11 AM

Four Seasons in Nevis okay, understand that Marriott on St. Kitts is better.
Might try Peter Island or Biras Creek in BVI or Curtain Bluff in Antigua.
Nov 28th, 2007, 04:30 AM

Jumby Bay? Peter Island is another favorite. Beach House on Barbuda? I really enjoy Meridian Club on Pine Cay in the TCI but it certainly is not for everyone and a very different experience than the other places mentioned.
Nov 28th, 2007, 06:17 AM

We love the FS on Nevis. We had an abundance of fresh fruit every morning and the rugged beauty is unsurpassed. You might wish to take a ferry and visit St. Kitts, but I would stay on Nevis. We ate at some of the most delicious and interesting restaurants in the Caribbean while on Nevis.
I also enjoy Barbados. The south coast is rather developed with restaurants, bars, hotels and clubs - but, in my view, it is preferable to the west side of the island, which is known as ‘the platinum coast’. Very elegant dining and there is so much to see if you want to rent a car or hire a driver. You would enjoy this island if you are looking for lots of things to do and see.
Nov 28th, 2007, 07:09 AM

Curacao is beautiful. Its part of the Netherland Antillies so its Dutch. It has the turquoise water etc. Stay at the Kura Hulanda lodge. Its not big on the beaches as its rocky with coral but lovely culture, very laid back & not expensive.While there you could also split the trip to include Aruba or Bonnaire. Thses places have amazing snorkeling.Just an idea
Nov 28th, 2007, 07:44 PM

Maybe I've been spoiled by Cap Juluca, but I thought Little Dix was disappointing. Next trip I'm trying to decide among Barbados (haven't been in years), Out Islands Bahamas or back to Cap.
Nov 29th, 2007, 03:21 AM

If you are considering Barbados, look into the new Hilton. We stayed there in January and it was fantastic. We had a beautiful room facing the water and access to the excecutive lounge with a good continental breakfast every morning and a very nice happy hour spread every night.
The resort is very nice with tennis courts available and one of the best beaches on the island right outside your door.
Nov 29th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of these rec's...they are very helpful.
Any input on Grenada? Grenadines? We love boutique hotels and great food is important.
Nov 29th, 2007, 10:38 AM

If you don't mind the travel it takes to get to Grenada, two places come to mind for you to consider: www.laluna.com and www.spiceislebeachresort.com. They're both small and intimate, with LaLuna getting the nod for romance and unusual style and Spice Island getting the nod for a more traditional resort and a better beach. Both have very nice service and very good food.

Spice Island is all-inclusive but it's located in an area of Grenada that is very easy to get around. It's located on the quiet end of Grand Anse, a stretch of light sand nearly two miles long. My meals there have always been excellent, but I would still be loathe to not sample more of what Grenada has to offer.

La Luna is not far as the crow flies from Grand Anse, but it's down a heavily rutted 1.5 lane road that feels like you're going to the middle of nowhere. Its decor is a mix of Polynesian, Indonesian, African influences and it's quite definitely a "rustic chic" kind of place with open air bathrooms (bedroom can be closed off and has a/c). I loved my stay there but I understand that like Caneel Bay, it's not for everybody.

Grenada itself is a beautiful island not heavily trafficked by American tourists. Lush and mountainous--much more so than St. John and the complete opposite of Anguilla. Lots of good restaurants all over the island in all manner of price ranges, from the rum shack and food stands on the side of the road to very fine dining to restaurants in locals' home that serve the real deal.