25th Anniversary

Sep 10th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

25th Anniversary

I'm look for a special place to take my wife on our 25th anniversary. Somewhere fantastic!!! Not the norm. The norm is the all inclusive vacation to Mexico or Jamaica. A week on a tropical island would be fantastic. She loves beaches. Definitely outside the U.S. I want to make a big splash as she's put up with me for all this time and she deserves it

On vacations we like to relax on the beach during the day (with several drinks) and then enjoy some nightlife at night. We're not big planners on vacations so we just take it easy and enjoy our time off our time consuming jobs.

Sep 10th, 2008, 03:33 PM

If price is no object check out:

Necker Island in the BVI's

If you can't afford Necker but still want upscale look into:

Little Dix Bay, BVI's

Sandy Lane, Barbados

Caso de Campo, Dominican Republic

Amanyara, Turks & Caicos (assuming it hasn't been too damaged by recent hurricanes)

Four Seasons, Nevis

Four Seaons, Exuma (may not have access to the nightlife you are seeking).

If you don't mind going to Mexico look into Maroma Resort & Spa on the Mayan Coast.
Sep 10th, 2008, 05:22 PM

there are several very nice resorts on provo, grace bay club is particularly nice as is the somerset. amanyara is about a 45 min drive on an unlit dirt road so would not lend itself to you going off property at night.
not a lot of nightlife on provo, but some. excellent dining opportunities.

st. thomas has a nightlife and you might like the ritz. gorgeous beach, infinity pool, beach service, and the hotel's romantic sailing catamaran the lady lynsey might be a nice treat for your deserving bride of 25 yrs. this is a duty free shopping island.

2 seriously unusual hotels are ladera and anse chastenet on st. lucia. but not an island known for gorgeous beaches. and a bit hard to get around.

you should look at cap juluca on anguilla. truly unique, beautiful beach and proximity to st. martin for nightlife and more duty free shopping.

sandy lane is a good idea. nice resort and barbados has tons of things to do.

little dix is very well reviewed. virgin gorda is not known for nightlife.

if you select necker i want to come too!!
Sep 13th, 2008, 09:00 AM

I have two thoughts:

1. The Four Seasons Nevis - Nevis is a beautiful and lush island. You sip your rum punch in an open air lobby, as you do the painless check-in paperwork. We had a huge bedroom and bathroom. I've been spoiled by the way that we travel, but I was impressed here!
The beaches on Nevis are nice, but not outstanding. The service more than makes up for anything you may miss out on with the beaches. The pool staff will find you a chair and set it up with towels, bring you non-ending flavored ice water. They are absolutely amazing! The three pools are gorgeous. The families have their own, so the other two are quiet. The staff knows your name right away. Take a tour of the golf course even if you are not a golfer. They will give you a golf cart to use. The views are spectacular and you will see monkeys. Their Mango's restaurant is a casual place to eat right by the water and, in my opinion, the best. Although the breakfast buffet, which was part of our package, was very good. Nightlife tends to be about the dining. We ate off the property every night. Montpelier had good food and an amazing ambiance as we ate in the sugarmill. You can also take the ferry to St Kitts.

2. Palm Island in the Grenadines - You fly in to Union Island where you are met by the resort's private boat and transported to Palm Island (only 135-acres.) It is very tropical, you never hurry anywhere, it's a great place to relax and get rid of all of your stress. It is an A/I only because there are no restaurants on the island and only a few private homes. The food is very good. If you love crystal clear water and a sparkling white beach, you can't beat this place.
The guest cottages all have incredible views and are about 20 feet from the water. You really get spoiled on a private island!
Sep 13th, 2008, 10:00 AM

Of all the places mentioned in the Crribbean i think Biras Creek on
Virgin Gorda is a stunning choice.
I own Serendipity Traveler and am
planning a womens week retreat there.
I first sailed into Biras Creek about
30 years ago and it is a very special
place.
Sep 16th, 2008, 12:52 PM

Another vote for Biras.
Sep 16th, 2008, 06:28 PM

Biras Creek's beach is not very attractive as Caribbean beaches go. There are 10 Caribbean islands with nicer beaches.
Four Seasons-Nevis is a fine choice if you can avoid spring breaks and major holidays when schools are closed for the week for then Nevis like many other lovely resorts can have 100 children. Great Exuma is out because of quality of food and no night life and one visit we were told they had 175 children under age 12 in the house.
Sandy Lane in Barbados is lovely but a little stiff and it ruins $1000/day without FAP and it is too dressy for mus based on our visit in 2004.
Caneel and Little Dix are lovely if as with Nevis you can avoid the times that families most frequent.
If snorkeling is important to you the best choice of the above is Caneel Bay and if you tell them you request Cottage #7 rooms C or D or E or F ONLY you will have it all except a very little night life.
Necker Island owned by Bronson which I visited on an executive retreat 10-11 years ago is over-the-top and actually has NO night life and small beaches but loads of privacy but you rent the island with it's 11 bedrooms, as I remember, for $45,000 a day but that includes food. A deal for the "rich-and-famous".
Sep 17th, 2008, 08:10 AM

I, too, vote for Biras Creek. Another great place is Guana Island (a short ferry ride from Beef Island - Tortola).
Sep 17th, 2008, 02:02 PM

For those voting for Biras Creek I assume randy23's wife will be o.k. with the relatively narrow beach and in-season it can be crowded if you want a palm umbrella to get out of the sun and because of the size of the beach they cannot fit too many for it would look terrible. The food at dinner and a modest night life are it's strong points, in my opinion. Getting around on bikes up some of the inclines for the over 55 crowd can be unpleasant on a hot day.In our 2 0ne week trips 5 lunches are buffets at the beach and were not very good and not that comfortable and breakfasts were not a high point. But they may have changed the venue and menu food for bkt. and lunch in 2008.The remodeling in 2007 at Biras has made the furnishings look up-scale like Parrot Cay but Sandy Lane on that count has them both beat, in my opinion.
Also, other than the Baths and Oil Nut Bay the snorkeling is only fair for the active snorkeler on Virgin Gorda and yes, that includes Little Dix as well unfortunately. The only quality snorkeling left in the Virgin Islands is around St. John.
Sep 18th, 2008, 05:39 AM

Objective and fair reviews of Biras Creek and other destinations can be found on Scubamom's website. Everyone has his or her favorite, I suppose.

I visited Biras Creek within the past year, and I found the food at all meals to be very good. Not New York, Paris or San Francisco quality, but good for the region.
Sep 18th, 2008, 06:03 PM

I second the Cap Juluca suggestion. Anguilla is out of the ordinary and special, fantastic beaches and some good beach bars, St Martin a 20 minute ferry away
Sep 21st, 2008, 10:44 AM

Three of the most special resorts we have enjoyed -- Nisbet Plantation Beach Club, Galley Bay in Antigua and Four Seasons Punta Mita in Mexico. Each an incredible experience in there own way although very different from each other. Others may disagree with me, but I was really underwhelmed by the FS Nevis, thought Nisbet was much more unique and romantic and thought the FS Punta Mita was a more spectacular resort in every way. However, the problem with Four Seasons resorts is that there always seems to be tons of kids there and since the resorts are larger, there are more crowds and you can be beach chair to beach chair. You won't find that at either Nisbet or Galley Bay. We have decided the most perfect vacation would be a week at each.
Nov 22nd, 2008, 12:52 PM

Have you concidered out of the ordinary? Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos is a quiant little island with beautiful beaches. There are no huge resorts. In my opinion it is very romantic but simple "Old World" or "European" feeling. I stayed at the Crabtree Apartments and loved it there, though it is not a hotel with daily maid servie, you can arrange for it. I loved sitting on the covered porch gazing out at the goreous sea and having to walk but a mere 25' to take a dip. It was glorious. Just do a search on the web for Crabtree Apartments, Grand Turk and you will find them. The website is a good representation of the apartments too.
Nov 22nd, 2008, 02:13 PM

Another vote for Cap Juluca in Anguilla. The beach is GORGEOUS. The rooms are very nice.. and I stayed in one of the cheaper ones. The restaurants are nice... and you have excellent dining options around the island. The only issue is there isn't much nightlife. Another idea could be The Cove at the Atlantis. The beaches and pools are gorgeous.. you have tons of great dining options.. and nightlife.. or you could stay down the beach at the One and Only Ocean Club. It's much quieter.. but you can go to the Atlantis for more action.
Jan 8th, 2009, 06:54 PM

Randy23 Nevis would be really nice to visit it lovely sandy beaches, restaurants and most of all the people. The Four Seasons in Nevis are currently closed but there are several other hotels,villas and cottages that are available for rent.
Please let me know if you need any additional information
Jan 11th, 2009, 06:51 AM