Beaches Turks and Caicos???

Jul 6th, 2003, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Beaches Turks and Caicos???

I hear good and bad things about this hotel. What are the major complaints and the advantages of staying at this hotel? Is there a nice alternative that offers more than one large pool and several restaurants?
Jul 6th, 2003, 07:26 PM

I can't think of any advantages to staying at Beaches Turks and Caicos. It is overpriced and over-advertised. Believe me, you will NOT get your $$ worth. One a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate Beaches a 4- but it's priced at a 10. It is NOT a 5 star luxury resort. We stopped by the Allegro when we were in T&C a few years back. It's nothing fancy, but for the price it's a heck of a lot better than Beaches. Also check out the condo resorts on T&C. They are truly beautiful.
Jul 9th, 2003, 03:21 PM
tamraichle

I just thought everyone should know that just today at the book store I saw a new publication called something like "connoisseurs guide to the worlds best" and it had the top resorts and hotels in the world for 2003. It was a thick publication in the magazine section for 15 bucks. It included the caribbean islands, the US, europe,etc. For Turks and Caicos it listed Beaches. It also listed The Sands at Grace bay and that was it. So for all the posters who have negative things to say about Beaches, and who try to get people to not book their trips there, I say there are alot of people out there who feel differently! I look forward to my trip in December!

Jul 9th, 2003, 05:00 PM

I agree 100% with mjmre2 about Beaches.

We just returned yesterday from Provo and stayed at the Sands. Very nice resort. We were so happy with our choice. Last year we stayed at Allegro in Provo. I wasn't too crazy about the food at Allegro, but other than that, we had a wonderful vacation and if we got the deal for Allegro we got last year, we would go again.

I'll tell you this. This is my honest and unbiased opinion. We walked by beaches both years we went to Provo. We walked by several times to go to Coral Gardens to snorkel. Each time we walked by, we were so thankful that we didn't stay there. The beach in front of Beaches was MOBBED. I am not exaggerating a bit. There were people practically on top of one another. The beach in front of Beaches wasn't nearly as beautiful as other resort fronts. Litter, including cups, wrappers, cigarette butts, plates, etc were thrown all over the place. Things (?) were floating in what should have been the most beautiful beach in the Caribbean.

This place is overrun with kids. They are EVERYWHERE. And they are rowdy. And why shouldn't they be? They are on vacation and every one else was rowdy.

We couldn't believe how loud the beach front was. It was like another world. Coming from any other part of Grace Bay beach, from whatever resort you stay at, you will have privacy. Privacy is NON-EXISTANT here.

As we walked by, we looked up into the resort itself, to the bar area where you can get drinks. There was a line with honestly 15 people in it waiting for drinks.

I did not see the resort grounds so I can not comment on this.

Please believe me when I tell you that I am being honest here. If you know what to expect, you shouldn't be as disappointed. But if you go to Beaches because the catalog looks pretty and you are expecting a paradise, you will be DISAPPOINTED BIG TIME.

The price for what you are getting is ridiculous. Yes, it is AI and you can leave your wallet in the room. This is why we went to Allegro last year. But after doing much research on non-AI, I realized we could have a dream vacation on a reasonable budget by staying at the Sands. Beautiful resort, non motorized water sports included, beach and pool service, PRIVACY, etc, etc.

Please, read all of the reports on this resort. It would be a damn shame for you to spend a small fortune to be miserable the entire time. I read numerous reviews of people who were utterly disgusted with their vacation at Beaches due to the service, food, beach, breach of promises, waiting hours for things, missing out on the "free" diving because they didn't get up at 5:30 a.m. to sign up, etc. etc.

As far as Beaches being voted one of the best in the world, I can not imagine this being an honest review. I am seriously stumped at this one. I am not surprised at the Sands being mentioned. It was a great resort.

Grace Bay beach is spectacular. Going to Provo is a wonderful experience. But there are so many great resorts!!! If you are insistant on an AI, try Allegro. Get the Ocean front room with the kitchen and that way if you are disappointed in the food, you can eat in now and then.

Best of luck and I assure you, I am expressing my observations and opinions.

Take care.

Denise
Jul 9th, 2003, 05:03 PM

I stand by my previous post, written from first hand experience. I also believe that other "negative" posters also reported their first hand experiences, and like me are simply giving their honest opinions in the hopes of saving other travelers from a big, expensive disappointment. I don't have a problem spending money on expensive vacations- I do expect to get what I pay for. Beaches does not deliver. For more Beaches reviews check out the Rants and Raves section of this site.
Jul 10th, 2003, 02:27 AM

I have been to this hotel many times. I have found it a great family vacation, especially with young kids. The food is not the best, the service is fine. I equate it to a Marriott. I have found it a decent value, as kids camp, meals drinks etc are included. Some people feel it is overpriced for what it is, but I think they are going with too high an expectation, this is not a four seasons, or a ritz carlton, but it is not priced that way. If you dive or snorkel it is great. Yes the beach is crowded, but we never had a problem getting chairs, there are several pools, some quite large, and we have never had an issue getting chairs. I think this resort works best if you do not go in expecting a 5 star, world class property, but instead, a nice place to stay with good amenities and service.
Jul 10th, 2003, 04:51 AM

In my book $7,000 for four people in one standard room for a week is a 5 star price. Beaches is NOT WORTH that kind of $$! But heck folks, it's your cash, spend it any way you want.
Jul 10th, 2003, 07:35 AM

I agree, at that price point, it is too much. We have been paying about 6500 including air from the northeast for 4 in a 1 bedroom suite for the past several years. I would be disappointment at 7,000 for a single room there, for that rate you can go Ritz Carlton Cancun, or four seasons(although not in high season)
Jul 10th, 2003, 08:56 AM
tamraichle

Our family of 3 is spending in the 4k range for this trip, which I think is fine considering all food, drinks, sports is included. Not to mention the best part- a kids klub so my toddler can play and we can have some relaxing time alone! Many resorts do not offer this, especially at her age. I have been to AI that were a bit less in price, but they didn't compare to the Sandals/Beaches resorts. I have no interest in a hotel that I have to travel in a taxi to get to restaurants with my baby! Besides this board, all I've heard is good reviews on Beaches, some firsthand from good friends. We can't wait!

Jul 10th, 2003, 01:57 PM

Hi Tamraichle,

I'm sorry to say that complaints regarding Beaches aren't limited to only Fodor's. Before booking my trips I research extensively and read numerous message boards. While a lot of people had a wonderful time at Beaches, the majority did not and I think with the price people pay to go there, they should know what the reality of Beaches is.

One site that I go to on occasion is www.geographia.com

Scroll down to Turks and Caicos and click. Then at the top of the next page, click on "newsgroups". There is a forum there where many travelers have gone to Beaches.

Caribbeanonline.com is another one.

tciforum.com is another site.

There are a few more but they escape me right now....

I really do hope you have a wonderful time in Provo! Hopefully you will have a window seat on the plane so you can see that gorgeous turquoise water when arriving to Provo! It is truly a sight! Best of luck to you.

Denise
Jul 17th, 2003, 04:17 PM
tamraichle

Love2travel: I decided to look at some of the other website forums that you mentioned regarding Beaches. Well I was presently surprised to read many positive reports about Beaches! They were definitely in the majority! So as I thought, seems like a certain few people on this forum love to do "Beaches Bashing"! I think until I go on my trip to Beaches, I will spend my time on the other forums. In just a short time I got so much more useful info and so much more positive info at that! Thanks for your tip, instead of turning me off to Beaches it's just gotten me more excited!

Jul 17th, 2003, 08:10 PM

Okay, I have never posted something like this, but here goes. Hey Tamraichle, get over yourself. Seriously. There is no Beaches conspiracy here. Other travellers are merely trying to offer their perspective . . . they are trying to help you as another traveller. You have littered this website with your pro-Beaches campaign and you haven't even been there yet (!). And perhaps you will overlook any problems on your vacation because you are bound and determined to be right and have all the other posters offering words of warning be wrong. Please, you've made your decision to go, just let it be.
Jul 18th, 2003, 12:04 AM

Tamraichle

I can surely understand your sensitivity to the unfavorable posts about Beaches. I was very sensitive to the comments we received from my own family and friends when they heard we booked at Sandals.

One thing I am really sorry for is that although I had been using the Internet for researching resorts. I had not yet discovered message boards or the guests reviews on resorts. This is so wonderful!

I would have soooo appreciated some of the info. that comes out of these posts and reviews before we booked.

Good and bad. I could have saved myself much frustration. It was NOT the type of vacation I was looking for at that time of my life. I would have understood the better picture with just one good honest post. That's all it would have took. And I am talking the good or the negative posts.

I respect all peoples opinions on any resort. I have learned so much on these boards, even about some of my favorite resorts that we visit and return to. There are even some negatives things posted about these places sometimes and if I feel differently, all I can do is offer my opinion, as I see things differently. It doesn't make me right or them wrong, just different opinions.

When people endlessly keep calling posters that have anything negative to say about a Sandals/Beaches "Bashing Beaches" or a "Sandals Bashing"

They WILL stop posting and offering someone contemplating a stay, just something's to think about at least.

I think that would be a shame.

Jul 18th, 2003, 03:57 AM

Hello. I stayed at Beaches Turks and Caicos last July. The island itself is beautiful. But we paid a LOT of money for this vacation and were disappointed. My husband and I have no children and thought the place was overrn with adolescents, teens and small kids all over the place (whose parents were not watching them, so they were basically runninmg all over, extremely annoying)The brocure assures guests of an "adults only" pool, this pool did not exist. Or if it did exist, the kids took it over. It's very annoying to be swimming while a football almost hit my head (two teens were playing catch in a pool full of people, well thier parents were obviously not watching them & the staff did nothing to stop them. The food was just adequate (and we paid too much money for this vacation for just ok food). Also they had no bottled water in the restaurants and I got sick on thier water. Only guests staying in suites were provided with bottled water, the rest of us had to pay 1.00 a pop for a bottle in the vending machines. And since we paid 5,000. for this vacation, we were pissed about this. Also our "nonsmoking" room stunk of smoke (and had several ashtrays in it), yet they could not move us since they were sold out.
So, overall I would not recommend Beaches turks at all. We had a bettwer time, paid less and had infinitely better food at Atlantis, Paradise Island. PS - ww also stayed at Coral Gardens at turks, they have one restaurant, but the food was incredible. also they have a coral reef, right on thier beach with awesome snorkeling. There are no fish at beaches, we would walk to Coral Gardens each day & snorkel there. We were sorry we did not stay there for our vacation.
~ Hope this info helps!
Jul 18th, 2003, 04:54 AM

Thank you sailor for a thoughtful response. It seems that some posters just want people to validate their Beaches vacations and tag those of us who offer our own TRULY negative experiences there "Beaches Bashers." Sorry but I will never recommend a Beaches vacation and this comes from someone who does appreciate the A/I deals for people with kids who are looking for a no brainer vacation. All I can say is if I was researching a vacation and found a resort surrounded by so much controversy on the boards I would not take a chance and book it.
Jul 18th, 2003, 06:10 AM

First of all - Way to go Snohflake! You hit it right on the head!

And I'm not trying to be mean or snotty, but Tamraichle is sort of "out there" with the whole "Vast Right Wing Beaches Conspiracy" thing going on. And she is in fact littering this forum with a rabid pro-Beaches campaign - just search on her User-Id.

I reiterate Snohflake. Go if you want and convince yourself it's Utopia. I can't imagine people really care. But don't accuse this board of something as ridiculous as you did - and it's pure fancy to claim that this is the only forum that has negative things to say about Beaches/Sandals. Controversy surrounds this company wherever it is.

And what is valid and undeniable is this: There are no other resorts in the Caribbean (or anywhere else) that garner such polarized opinions and such a high degree of negativity. What that suggests is simple: It's not for everyone, so buyer beware.

If you love it ... then great. Count yourself in the "Yay's" ..... but don't stand across the street and throw rocks at the "nay's"
Jul 18th, 2003, 07:35 AM

Tamraichle is suffering from "cognitive dissonance."

Cognitive dissonance is the distressing mental state in which people "find themselves doing things that don?t fit with what they know."

Tamraichle has already performed the behavior (booking an expensive Beaches trip) that doesn't fit with the negative feedback she is finding everywhere. The negative feedback from previous Beaches visitors is causing uncomfortable feelings (cognitive dissonance) for Tamraichle.

To eliminate the cognitive dissonance, she only seeks the positive feedback on Beaches and convinces herself that anyone with negative opinions must be part of a conspiracy.
Jul 19th, 2003, 05:03 AM
jpr

I have to say, I don't usually post but reading all this is ridiculous! Tamraichle obviously is 'pro-beaches' if she picked and booked the place. I would hope all of us would be 'pro' wherever we booked a trip! And honestly, I like going on many travel forums just to read everyones comments and there is definitely a large amount of negative posts on Beaches on this forum compared to the others. I think when someone has already booked a hotel/resort, when they post on a forum looking for advice, they don't want to be slammed with all the negatives or told to cancel their booking. They are looking for advice and information to help them on their trip. Sounds like tamraichle won't be posting on this forum anymore and can't say I blame her! FYI, in the last few months I was watching a show on the Travel Channel, don't quite remember the name think it was 'top 10 caribbean beach resorts for families' or something along those lines and Beaches was like #7! So it may not be for everyone, but must be for many people!

Jul 19th, 2003, 08:34 AM

jpr,

You know this does get tiring!

Please re read original question by noelle. "What are the major complaints and advantages of staying at this hotel?"

All posts that came through were appropriate and informational.

mjmre and oceanolymia offered their first hand experience at the resort.
love2travel offered what she experienced walking by the resort and what a different atmosphere that she encountered compared to the resort she was at. She clearly mentioned it was her impression and observation.
ellene offered her positive experience.

No one was told to cancel!

tamraichle offered the information of an ad magazine and the good reports that she has read and her good friends that loved beaches.

So ellene recieved some good info. about some things she may want to think about from mjmre2, love2travel, and oceanolymia.
And also from ellene, someone who had a positive experience.

noelle would have taken out of the posts whatever she wanted to. Simple as that!

All good until... tamaichle came back and slammed these posters with "Beaches Bashing"

Yes, you won't find many posters that will offer a negative experience, it's just way to hard to keep having to defend yourself sometimes.