Search

Beaches of Nevis

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beaches of Nevis

We are trying to decide between Nevis (Four Seasons) and the Turks & Caicos (Sands at Grace Bay). On balance, Nevis seems to provide more diversity of recreation, island sightseeing etc. However, my wife is concerned that the Nevis beaches won't be enjoyable based on what she's read (she likes white sand and turquoise waters). Any help here would be most appreciated. Thx.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 03:22 AM
iw

The beaches in Nevis are not the white sand kind, but Nevis is a wonderful island. I don't think you will be disappointed. We have been twice. The 4S is a lovely property and in Nevis you can go to any beach that you want to, unlike some other islands. Right down the beach from the 4S there is Sunshines and Chevy's Calypso Bar. Both fun places. Don't miss Oualie Beach for the great food! I have not been to T&C, so I really can't compare the two places. We just love Nevis!
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 04:28 AM

Hi, I actually have been to both and seen both properties, although we only "visited" Nevis and the 4S on a one day cruise stop (spent a full week in T&C). Very, very different islands. In T&C, it's all about the beach and not much else except some great meals. Sorry T&C fans, but other than the beach I thought Provo was the ugliest island I have ever seen. I enjoyed it though because I love the beach. We loved Nevis on our short stop and plan on going back for a week this winter. It is so much more of an all-around package that T&C. It's nice beaches, beautiful foliage, mountains, an adorable town, friendly people (I did not find folks on Provo to be friendly, in fact, it was the worst service we have ever experienced in all our trips to the Caribbean), history and you actually get two islands in one cause you can take the ferry to St. Kitts. We felt Nevis fit the mold of what most people think of when they think Caribbean island. The Four Seasons is a beautiful property, can't compare it to The Sands which is basically on condo resort on the beach with little property and not a ton of service or amenities. 4S is in a class by itself, although be prepared for lots of families with young kids. We actually want to stay at Nisbet Plantation when we go, I liked it better (small, charming, peaceful) and much more affordable. People bash the beaches on Nevis and I don't see why, they do not have the white sand and turquoise water of some islands but they are still beautiful. T & C unfortunately is turning into Aruba or Marco Island, Florida -- one long strip of beautiful beach lined with resorts. Nevis has more personality.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:51 AM

I lived in the Turks and Caicos and am building a house in Nevis. The landscape is totally different. The TCI are flat and arid with clear blue water and white sand. Nevis has mountains and is very very green with darker sand and therefore the water looks darker. However, the beach at the Four Seasons is very nice. Spent a couple of days on the beach there a couple of weeks ago. The water was very warm and calm and clear, I could see fish swimming right there at the beach.
I think you would enjoy either, however if you want to do other things besides sit on the beach and swim, Nevis does offer more as far as activities.
Have fun whatever you decide.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 09:40 AM

We went to FS Nevis this past April, and initially had the same questions about the beach. We had gone to Cap Juluca the year before, with its blinding white beaches and bright blue water, and my wife wanted the same thing.
We loved FS Nevis, however, and the beach was wonderful. The sand is not as white as some others, but it is a coloration thing only. The sand is nice and soft, but just a shade darker. Because the sand is a bit darker, it makes the water look darker and not as bright blue. It's just a color thing, not a quality issue. The water was amazing, and we were rarely out of it. The property is great, the beach was wonderful, and you'll enjoy it.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:32 AM

Just to make it clear I think anyone who picks an island based solely on the color of the sand on it's beaches risks missing out on some wonderful island experiences. I do, however, understand that many people have a certain image in their mind as to what a Caribbean island should look like (especially if they relatively new to island travel) so I try not to sit in judgement. The draw of white sand and bright torquoise waters is definitely hard to resist.

Those seeking the quintessential
white sand beach will not find it on Nevis. But if they stay away they will miss out on a truly wonderful island with mountains and lush rain forests to hike through, miles of nearly deserted palm tree lined beaches, old plantation ruins to explore, a variety of restaurants ranging from intimate upscale dining to local beach bars and everything in between, interesting shops, a few art galleries, a couple of small but informative museums, very friendly locals and an old world Caribbean charm reminiscent of the time when sugar was king and Nevis was the Queen of the Caribbean.

Nevis is a different island, a little difficult to get to but oh so worth the extra effort. If you don't make it to Nevis this time put it on your list for a future trip.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:40 AM

A Travelleryou are absoloutely right...well put.

I have never been to T&C but Nevis is a wonderful little island. Yes, it does not have the white sand beaches that St. Maarten and Anguilla have, for instance, but it is charming and truly Caribbean. The people there are wondeful.
It is one of my favorite places in the Caribbean.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 12:46 PM

Hi Zahada,
Unless the only thing your wife wants to do is lay on a white sand beach and gaze at truly turquoise waters, I know she will not be disappointed in Nevis. I would be packing my bags right now if it was up to me. It is our favorite Caribbean island and we love the FS. They have a the wonderful spa, we found the our bed to be so perfect I couldn't wait to go to bed at night. There are so many things to stay busy with on Nevis and with the easy access to St. Kitts you have the bonus of a second island. I would start looking for packages. As you can tell, Nevis is a well loved place.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Thx to all for the most helpful comments . . . we have booked Nevis FS and are looking forward to our trip in March/07 (any recommendations on whether the $$ are worth it for mountain view vs. ocean view vs. oceanfront?). Also, any and all "must see" recommendations for recreation (we will have our 7 and 10 year olds with us) and restaurants will be most appreciated. Lastly, any recommendations on "must do" dives? I've been diving in a lot of places (Barbados, Aruba, BVI, St. Croix, Puerto Rico, St. Marten, Tahiti, Hawaii, So. Africa etc.) so looking for the unusual (but not too taxing) dive. Thx.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 06:49 PM

When we went to FS Nevis a few months ago, we opted for the mountainview room over the ocean view or ocean front and were happy we did so. At the FS, unlike some other places, the rooms are the same other than the view. Our general rule is that we will pay extra for a better room (ie, larger, more amenities) but NOT for a view. The view in the mountainside room was great, a lovely view of Mount Nevis. The room was just behind the ones on the beach, and the beach was literally a 30 second walk away. I personally don't think the ocean view is worth the extra money, as we spend very little time in the room anyway, and most of that time is when it is dark outside.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 03:49 AM

The beaches of Kaua'i are also not white sand but it is my favorite island.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 05:47 AM

Agree with almseq, the views of Mout Nevis are breathtaking, especially early in the morning and late afternoons when the light & shadows dance across the mountaintop. If you opt for the mountainview rooms you'll save money and still have full access to all the resorts amenities. Think about it, you spend most of the time in your room sleeping or with the drapes drawn so why be to concerned about not seeing the water from your window.

As for things to see and do check out www.nevis1.com - it's a terrific web-site where you'll find detailed info and links to just about everything (including diving) of interest on Nevis.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 05:55 AM
cw

Also take a look at www.undertheseanevis.com. They are based at Oualie Beach and have activities geared towards children.

It's a lovely island. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

cw

Old Oct 4th, 2006, 06:59 PM

I think Almesq explained the room categories well. The mountain view is a good choice.
If you do the buffet breakfast, do the plan ahead of time, as it's cheaper. There are many good restaurants on the island. Because you have kids with you, I would suggest places like Sunshine's that is right next door to the FS and is just a tiny beach shack with bright picnic tables. Mango's at the FS is a brightly painted place right down by the water with good food. Tequila Sheila's is an open air restaurant right on a beach with one of those colorful boat that you see around Nevis. Also, Gallipot has a casual atmosphere and has reasonable prices. As far as recreation goes, the FS offers a tour of their villa's via golf carts. Check with them and make a reservation. We (and everyone else) went to see the monkeys that hang out on the golf course. It costs nothing, you get to drive golf carts and see monkeys. There is no "presentation" and a very young guy stops once and points to some villas and says "there they are" and you drive on. Your kids will love it. Montpelier has the botanical gardens. If you go to St. Kitts, you should see Brimstone Hill. I don't dive anymore, but there were some people that we met in Nevis that were diving around the Cades Bay area.
Have fun and do a trip report when you return!
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 05:53 AM

To Knowing - just so you know Tequila Shelia's has been closed for quite some time and the word is there are no plans to re-open it any time soon. The Inn at Cades Bay, where Tequila Shelia's is located, has seen better days. The rumor mill says it is up for sale and Shelia has been concentrating on running the Tea House at the Botanical Gardens.