Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

The cheapest way to get from San Juan, PR to St. Thomas??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2006, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I am ALWAYS trying to plan the next vacation to St. John and when investigating airfares for next July 2007, I found that it is very cheap to fly nonstop from Boston to Puerto Rico (i.e., $266 a ticket including all taxes).

However, I am having more trouble finding a cheap flight from San Juan to St. Thomas.

Are there certain charter airlines that would offer better rates? (I have been using www.kayak.com which handles mostly major airlines). The cheapest airfare that I found on a major airline (American) was $187.00.

At a total ticket price of $453.00 round trip (if I buy the above $266 ticket from Boston to San Juan and then a separate ticket from San Juan to St. Thomas on AA), that is still not a bad price overall, but just wondering if I should be investigating other options.

Thanks!!

Melissa
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 05:16 AM

That sounds like a good price.We paid $451 a ticket for tickets from Raleigh,NC to St Thomas.

I would book it asap.

Christie
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 05:33 AM

That sounds like a pretty good price but check out Cape Air (www.flycapeair.com) to see if their fares might be better for dates of your travel.

FYI - a charter between SJU and STT would probably cost you something around $1,000 to $1,200 each way. It would pay unless you could find others to share the cost with you.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 05:40 AM

Try Air Sunshine. I think they are $125 or $150 per person, one way.
Quite expensive for a 20 minute plane ride! But they have to pay thier bills, too!
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 05:44 AM

Yes, the price of around $450 is often as good as it gets to St. Thomas from anywhere (unless you get a really good deal). You could also watch Seaborne Airlines, which flies a seaplane between Old San Juan and Charlotte Amalie, but even the cheapest ticket there is about $170 for the round-trip.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your quick replies!!

I don't think I correctly phrased my original post when I said "charter airlines"---I didn't mean actually charter my own plane, I was thinking that maybe there would be smaller, "puddle-hopper" flights that would be less expensive than the commercial airline flights.

However, as you all pointed out, $453 a ticket is a great price and the flight times are also good, which helps.

Thanks again!!

Melissa