Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Cheapest Way to Get from San Juan to St. Maarten?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Naima

My fiance and I are on a pretty strict budget. We will actually be in Puerto Rico in late October and have decided we want to check out St. Barths while we are in the area (I have been to St. Barths and loved it). I know I can take a Ferry from St. Maarten to Barth's pretty cheaply but from, say, San Juan or Fajardo to St. Maarten, I'm having no luck. Do Ferry's from PR to St. Maartin exist? ROundtrip flights would be something like 300 bucks per person! WE can't really afford that. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get to St. Maarten as cheaply as possible? St. Thomas might be nice too if St. Maarten is just out of the Question. Any responses would be appreciated.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Hummmm

Don't mean to be rude but if you can't afford the $300 airfare from San Juan to St. Martin how in the world do you think you're going to afford St. Bart's where an average hotel room will run you $200 per night low season and quite a bit more for high season.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 10:57 AM
Statia

No ferries exist between Puerto Rico and St. Maarten (wish they did at times). Your best bet is probably American Airlines or American Eagle, although you might find something cheaper with another airline. Unfortunately air travel is your only choice from SJU to SXM.<BR><BR>You might also look into prices for air from St. Maarten to St. Barth's. It might not be much more than a ferry, and certainly a WHOLE lot faster.<BR><BR>Can't comment on ferry service from Puerto Rico to St. Thomas. Maybe someone else might know?<BR>

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Naima

To The *Idiot* Trying to Be Funny:<BR><BR>No! Excuse me! You need to check yourself! I *absolutley* mean to be rude when I say you have no idea what my finances are like who I may or may not know on that island, what I may or may not know about that Island, or even who the hell I am. I asked a simple question, if you don't have an answer keep you ignorant remarks to yourself, fool! <BR><BR>To other person, thank you, your remarks were helpful. Wish more people were like you.<BR><BR>Naima

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 12:41 PM
anon

Naima<BR>you did say you and your fiance are going to be on a strict budget..The reply was exactly what anyone who has ever been to st barths was thinking when they read your email. I know I was...

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 12:46 PM
ditto

yep.. i thought the same thing<BR><BR>strict budget does not = St. Barths

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 12:48 PM
kim

check out travelocity.com, I found SJU to SXM lowest fare was 110.00 pp on Liat, and 233 on AA - Eagle. Then take caribair or winair over to St. Barths. Are you looking to do this just for a day trip or a few days, I would think it would be a lot of traveling for a day trip, SJu-SXM in about an hour flight, then 15 minutes to St. Barths.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Naima

Look, don't assume that just because I don't want to spend 600 dollars on a plane ticket if there are cheaper alternatives that I don't have the means to stay where I am going. I've obviously managed to scrape up a few coins to take two people halfway around the damn world and spend an entire week in a nice resort in Puerto Rico. But no I can't conitnue to spends loads of cash on plane tickets if there are cheaper alternatives. I don't have a trust fund, sorry. I work for a living. I don't want to have to continue to rip people new ones but the way that person responded to me was rude: period dot. They don't know me and I don't have any patience for people like that. If you don't like the way I responded, tough. Yeah I'm on a BUGDET, but I'm not BROKE. I have been there before, know people there, and didn't ask to be told how expensive it was; staying there is not going to be a problem for me. Oh, I am WELL aware of how much things cost, I'VE BEEN THERE! DON'T make me continually repeat myself. I think it's a little snotty of people to assume that because I'm trying to be frugal, I can't afford something. I've been all over the world, Honey. I can afford to go anywhere my heart so desires.<BR><BR>Now, once again, if you don't have any suggestions that are helpful, or you just feel like you need to justify your being a snotty, stuck-up bastard - bugger-off. Please. I can get the answers I need elsewhere.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Naima

By the way, Kym, thanks, I didn't mean the last thing I said to be directed at you at all. I appreciate helpful answers like that not emails from people who start off saying, "Um, excuse me I don't mean to sound rude..." usually it means they're about to be rude. I am planning on staying a few days. The last time I was there I was lucky enough to make friends with some local people who live on St. Maarten but whose parents live on Barth's so we'll be staying with them. I did see the LIAT fair. I'm going to continue to do some research and hopefully come up with something reasonable. Thank you.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Think Yoga

How about a rowboat? It's cheap and you'll get to blow off a little steam so you won't be so damn agressive.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 09:04 PM
Poptart

I don't think you want to take the ferry to St. Barts. It is a rough ride and a long one, especially for October, which is still hurricane season.<BR><BR>What are you looking for in your visit? Nice beaches? Culture? Snorkeling? Since you have been to St. Barts, why not try St. Thomas. Actually, you could spend a couple of days in St. Thomas. Some people don't like St. Thomas, usually the people who only have been there on a cruise. I have stayed there for 10 days or more and it has so much to offer. There are cheap, but nice hotels in downtown Charlotte Amalie. I stayed in one for $42/night, including homemade breakfast. <BR>You could take the ferry over to St. John pretty cheaply and see some very nice beaches. Lots of sports activities, lots of things to do. There is good shopping and nightlife as well. I have met some wonderful islanders on St. Thomas. <BR><BR>I think you can find cheaper flights to St. Thomas directly from San Juan. Save St. Barts for another trip. I find San Juan to be expensive, so you may end up spending more money than you thought there.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 02:34 AM
anon

Naima,<BR><BR>Why of the defensiveness. You stated that you were on a strict budget. People responded appropriately regarding St. Barths and it's expense. I (and probably others) saw nothing rude is the comments from the first poster. The first rudeness was from yourself. You did say "Any responses would be appreciated." Did you mean to say "Any responses would be appreciated, as long as they don't hit my PMS button"<BR>

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 02:52 AM
P

We went to St. Maarten in June and took the Voyager to Saba. Believe me, it is a VERY ROUGH ride. I was so sick!!!! I have been on lots of boats and have never had a problem, so unless you have a VERY strong stomach don't take the voyager. We also flew to St. Barths and it is beautiful but very expensive. Have fun on your trip.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 03:49 AM
Jeanine

Naima,<BR>You really are full of it. In your initial post you went to great lengths to talk about what "strict budget" you were on and how you needed to get to St Maarten as "cheaply as possible". <BR>Then you claim you "don't want to have to continue to rip people a new one" because they commented on the expense of St Maarten and St Barth's. What the hell is that supposed to mean? Someone was forcing you to be crude and nasty? <BR>When you started this you claimed that round trip from SJU to SXM was going to cost you $300 per person. Someone was nice enough to point out that Liat's fare was only $110. You responded by saying you had seen that but were going to "continue to do research". How much cheaper do you want it to be? My God girl, if you can't afford it, don't go. Be satisfied to stay "in a nice resort in Puerto Rico". Maybe daytrip to Vieques or Culebra. Save St Maarten till you can "scrape up a few coins" to travel comfortably.<BR>You take a deep breath and realize that when you post something on a message board you will get all kinds of responses. You are the one who started the name calling and ranting and raving. God I feel sorry for your fiance.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 04:09 AM
traveller

If you don't mind having a fairly flexible set of travel plans, LIAT are doing $25 standby fares for most of their destinations. That means you could go to St Maarten, or direct to Anguilla, St Kitts, Nevis or even Antigua. The last three would also be much more affordable once you get there. Alternatively, check out Saba, which is far less visited and less 'up itself' than St Barts.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Tippy

TTT

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 08:32 AM
Hummmm

Naomi, I don't think anyone here can read minds nor do I think anyone cares with whom or how many times you've traveled around the world. What I do think everyone here can vouch for is that if someone were to mention the destination of St. Bart's and the words "strict budget", well, the two of them just don't belong in the same sentence. I thought I was rather tactful. Sorry if you thought otherwise. Yes I have no idea who you are (nor do I care) but I'll still give you some more advice. Leave the "ugly American" temper at home because you won't get far with it in the laid back SBH, money or no money.<BR><BR>For your information (and excuse me if you already know this), I doubt if that Liat fare was $110 round trip. I've never heard of that cheap of a fare for San Juan to St. Martin. Usually it is in the $300 range for the r/t fare.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 08:39 AM
careful

Be careful hummmm. You might be forcing Naima to "rip you a new one". Can you imagine the service people on St Barth's dealing with an attitude like that? Please Naima stay away from St Barth, they did nothing to deserve you and your snotty, nasty, ugly temper.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Diana_pr77

TO ALL THE MISSINFORMED PEOPLE.....THERE IS A FERRY COMPANY CALLED CARIBE CAY THAT CAN TAKE YOU TO ST. MARTEEN FOR $70 US ROUNDTRIP. THEY ALSO GO TO ST. THOMAS, ST CROIX, ST. JOHN. FOR INFORMATION VISIT THE WEBSITE: WWW.CARIBECAY.COM<BR><BR>THE FERRY LEAVES EVERY SATURDAY AND SUNDAY AT 8AM FROM THE TOWN OF FAJARDO. THEY PROIDE TRANSPORTATION FROM SAN JUAN TO FAJARDO BUT YOU HAVE TO CALL TO MAKE A ARESERVATION. <BR><BR>HOPE THIS HELPS.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Diana_pr77

FOR MORE INFOR CALL THE PR TOURISM OFFICE AT 1-800-866-7827

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -