Beach at the Ritz

Feb 7th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Kim

Beach at the Ritz

I will be staying at the Ritz for five days at the end of the month. How is the beach in this area? Water clarity? Is snorkeling possible near the hotel? Any input is appreciated...

Feb 7th, 2002, 09:35 AM
xxx

Which Ritz?

Feb 7th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Kim

The Ritz Carlton in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Feb 8th, 2002, 02:10 AM
rqf

The beach is quite nice and uncrowded. Water clarity is okay. There is no snorkling anywhere near the hotel. The hotel is one of the nicest in the area.
It is about 1/4 of a mile from the busy area in Isla Verde. If you want to eat in places other than the hotel there are god restaurants in both the Wyndham El San Juan and the Intercontinental. The nearest restaurant, a few minutes away, offers local cuisine and is very popular with locals and tourists alike. The name is the Metropol

Feb 8th, 2002, 07:56 AM
Jim

I have to disagree. Although the Ritz is a great hotel and the pool area is beautiful, the beach is small and unimpressive. I was there for a few days two years ago and from what I recall neither the sand nor the water was very nice either. But it's a great hotel.

Feb 8th, 2002, 09:27 AM
tom

I didn't find the beach to be small at all. I thought it was a good beach, not great, but good.

Feb 8th, 2002, 12:19 PM
rqf

I won't question a person's opinion on sand, water quality since that is a subjective evaluation. But small - not. Beach is at least 100 feet deep and it is almost one mile long if not longer.

Feb 8th, 2002, 12:42 PM
anonymous

The designated Ritz beach is small but abuts others including a public beach. Not great as none of the beaches on the Atlantic side are wonderful. Most disappointing about the property.

Feb 9th, 2002, 05:13 AM
tom

there really is no "designated" Ritz beach - all beaches are public. Again, I'd have to agree with RQF - the beach is a good size. The water isn't as crystal clear and the sand is not as white as some other Caribbean destinations but it s clean and the other advantages of staying in the area outweigh that factor (at least for me).

Feb 9th, 2002, 05:47 AM
amy

The beach is okay,however,the pool area is dirty,the service is lousy.The rooms aren't that well kept either.

Feb 11th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Jay

Just returned Sat. night from 4 nights at the Ritz in San Juan. We had a wonderful time.

The beach at the Ritz is nice. It really depends on what you are asking. Is the beach at the Ritz as nice as some other destinations, like some of the British VIs--no--but for Puerto Rico, especially Isla Verde, it is nice and somewhat private. The problem with this string is you get people with differing opinions but who may all be correct. Tom is correct that all the beaches are public. But compared to other hotels in Isla Verde, including hotels of equal or greater price (like the El San Juan), it is relatively private because it is not on the main strip of hotels with the El San Juan, Intercontinental, ES T. etc. The only people in front of the hotel were Ritz guests on Ritz lounge chairs. This differed greatly from when on I was on St. Lucia and people were selling me drugs, jewelry etc on the beach.
The pool was VERY nice but, for some reason, not too warm (I prefer the warm water of the Carribean). The pool chairs were wonderful with a sliding cover to block out the sun if it gets too much.
I have read Amy's comments before and they are just from left field so I can't comment on them.
One more thing---this is going to come out real snobby but---the Ritz had more relaxing group of people. Two years ago when I stayed at the Ritz, I wanted to stay at the El San Juan (just less than a ten minute walk away) because it was more hopping. The El San Juan was still hopping but was filled with annoying people probably due to the fact that more conventions stay there. This time it seemed like a convention of Nascar watching men were staying there with wedding rings hitting on women (including my wife who was also wearing a ring and sitting next to me). I prefer to stay at the Ritz and walk over to the El San Juan in short doses. The Ritz seemed like a bunch of people trying to enjoy themselves instead of 40 year old overgrown frat boys.
Have a good time.

Feb 11th, 2002, 11:01 AM
tom

I'd have to agree with just about everything Jay said (except that I enjoy staying at the El San Juan as much as staying at hte Ritz-Carlton - have never found the guests particularly obnoxious).

I don't know what Amy's experience was but each time I've stayed there the pool area has been very clean, service has been good, and the rooms well-kept.

Feb 12th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Jay

I think that Tom is right and there was just a "who can be more obnoxious" convention going on towards the end of my week at the El San Juan. The only announcement of a convention was a venture capitalist convention. Are there really any of those left?

Feb 12th, 2002, 05:49 PM
rqf

I think the phase "laid back" can be applied to the Ritz as opposed to a rather hectic atmosphere, especially in the lobby at night, at the El San Juan. This is not to demean the El San Juan - you want tons of people around with the attendant noise and cigarette and cigar smoke go to the El San Jaun; you want a quieter environment go to the Ritz. Beaches are the same at either but the stretch of beach at the Ritz is less crowded. There are only two hotels on that section of beach and one was closed when I last visited in November (stayed at the El San Juan). Also fewer high rise condos.