Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Beach at Ritz-Carlton Montego Bay-Any Comments would be appreciated

Jun 27th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Howard

Planning a trip to Ritz in Nov. Have heard that beach is not that great and also they provide transportation to an alternate. Has anyone stayed there. Any other comments in general?

Jun 27th, 2002, 05:06 PM
alan

I stayed there last summer. Beautiful resort!!! Had a wonderful time. It is true that the beach at the Ritz isn't great for water sports, but it is for walking in the moonlight, and there is a spot for some watersport activities/swimming. The main place for watersport activities is a short 5 minute shuttle ride (free of course) where there is plenty of watersport activity. I visited that beach area and had a great time. Kid's activities are available as well.

Jun 28th, 2002, 08:04 AM
cdt

Another alternative, which you should do at least once, is Doctor's Cave Beach in Montego Bay. There is a modest admission charge. This is our favorite beach in the MoBay area.

Jun 30th, 2002, 07:13 AM
newjersey

Just back from R-C Montego Bay. To preface - my family of 5 is extremely fussy about our Caribbean destinations -Four Seasons Nevis, Cap Juluca in Anguilla... - we had a GREAT time in Jamaica at the Ritz-Carlton Rose Hall. I was very skeptical when my wife decided we had a deal we couldn't refuse at R-C Rose Hall. I had only heard bad things about Jamaica. Fortunately I was wrong (and my wife was right - again!). We had an all inclusive through AirJamaica, which turned out to be an incredible value.
Rooms: had a suite and an adjoining double on the fifth floor - ocean view -fabulous - very Four Seasons
Restaurants: Horizons - OK, Jasmine's - very good, White Witch Club House - excellent+ with an incredible ambience and an amazing view of the Caribbean Sea from on high, Mango's - poolside, very adequate for a poolside restaurant - similar to the poolside at Four Seasons Nevis and poolside at Cap Juluca, though perhaps not quite as good
Restaurant service is consistently SLOW, so expect that
Pool: Pictures (if you can find any!) don't do the pool justice...the pool is very large, clean and beautiful. I am not ususally a pool kind of guy, but this pool was so nice I was at the pool more than the beach
Beach: Beach was fine - not the perfect beach as in Anguilla, but still OK - very windy while we were there, so the water was on the choppy side, but still turqouise, warm and lovely (nicer than the water at Pinney's Beach in Nevis)
Golf Course: The White Witch is an incredibly beautiful course - the staff couldn't have been any any nicer - even if you don't golf you can take a cart and ride the course ($20ppUS) - it's something you shouldn't miss
AirJamaica - OK, although not very good at handling larger families - we were six on this trip, and they couldn't seat us together outbound or on the return, even though we had seating assignments both ways that had us all in the same row - they need to work on this
Bottom line: Great resort, great value, the Jamaican people were wonderful to us - I'd go back!

Jun 30th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Paul

Hey New Jersey!

Thanks for the great review. My wife, 8yr old and I just booked a quick getaway to the Ritz as well. Like you we normally go out of our way to avoid any all inclusive package. However at $300 per night we figure what the heck!
We were at Nevis FS this last spring and enjoyed it as well.But......from Chicago we can on the beach by noon with AJ.....this is hard to beat.

Any comments on the childrens programs and or which floor to requests? I sprung the extra $123 for a suite as well. Finally....did you use the Ritz transportation from the airport? If so how much was it? I'm hearing $35 each way per person......can this be true?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Jun 30th, 2002, 10:48 AM
justbeachy

We, too, just returned from a family vacation to the Ritz Carlton Rose Hall. We had a fabulous time! The rooms were lovely, the grounds were lovely, the Jamaican people could not have been nicer.
The beach, while not large and not as breathtaking as a Meads Bay or a Grace Bay (among others of course!), was fun nonetheless. From previous posts on this board I expected a tiny, rocky strand. Not so! Small waves made for fun on the rafts provided. In a word - delightful.
We chose an all-inclusive package through Air Jamaica. At this property, the all-inclusive option is the way to go! While the Ritz Carlton can arrange round-trip airport transfers ($35pp US roundtrip/ $17.50pp one way) our transfers were with Tropical Tours and included with our package.
Three restaurants were on site, the fourth at White Witch. Food was generally very good, presentation excellent. The kitchen was slow at times, but the service was ALWAYS with a smile!
We are a family of six (ages 8-70+) so finding a resort that has something for everyone is always a challenge. The Ritz Carlton Rose Hall is such a place. We will be happy to return!