Notices

Barbados for the First Time

Old Jun 4th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barbados for the First Time

My husband and I are heading to Barbados in the upcoming weeks and we are staying in Christ Church and looking for ideas to fill our days and nights. Any suggestions on restaurants, activities, must-see attractions and service providers would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 02:49 AM

Lois Swanson on this forum has a lengthy tip sheet. Also try
www.barbados.org
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 07:54 AM

Hi,
I have been to Barbados 3 times and had a great time (save last time had hotel issues)you are not staying in the same place as my hotel was in St Phillip.
First of all my pic for best beach is Crane Beach it has a great surf very fun body surfing or just playing in the waves, beautiful pink sand thats like baby powder. Going throug the Crane Hotel, which is on the cliff overlooking the beach is he best way to get to the beach by stairs or elevator but they may have a charge, which can be applied to lunch at L'Azure restaurant. If your brave try jumping from the cliff into the surf! We also saw a large family of green monkeys on a side road into the resort it was very cool.
Second if you plan to do a snorkeling cruise the very best one to go on is Cool Runnings. These guys were great! A lot of fun great food and open bar. I have tried one other company and it was not much to speak of in fact I can't even remember the name, but the concierge had a discount or 2 for 1 deal, and it still was not worth the price. So stick with Cool Runnings and have a ball.
The Plantation Show was great and the beach party (name??) was fun too. They have a zip line adventure now that sounded like great fun as well.
If you haven't rented a car you may want to, this is a big Island but unless you want to explore by bus (which goes everywhere, frequently and cheap) get a car.

Some of my favorite restaurants include Aqua, Opa, The restaurant at south sea and Champers (sports bar) all in Christ Church, The Cliff in St. James and if you like Japanese Zen in St. Philip at the Crane Hotel.
Also the Friday night fish fry is great fun and the flying fish is very tasty.
Hope this helps. BTW The Crane Resort looks fabulous and I have stayed there 3 times. Twice it was awesome last time? I could throw out a number for four letter words and still not adequately describe the lack of customer service, our room infested with bugs (they refused to move us!) even though they could not remedy the problem. We complained day after day and were ignored, I send snail mail, e mail and called with out response for a year. I finally reached a manager who assured me if we came back we would be personally taken care of.... but nothing specific was mentioned or offered. In short though I will return to Barbados I will not stay at The Crane, did I mention the bill was outrageous? So, don't judge this book by it's cover and stay away.

Have a great time there are lots of cool things to do and see and the weather is awesome.
Karen
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 07:59 AM

Hi again,
I forgot to mention the local people are very friendly and helpful. Check out the roads, there is almost no litter! Amazing!
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 06:18 PM

kmw1211 gave great reco's. I would add snorkeling at Folkstone Marine Park. It's fun and easy and pretty good for beginners. That's where all the boats take you anyway.

Peace, Greenie
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 03:17 PM

Barbados has stunning scenery, exciting tours and unique cuisine. The locals are very warm, welcoming people.
We hired a driver the first time we were there and he took us to see The Gun Hill Signal Station where he stopped just right and you felt like you were at the end of the world - but it has a great view.
Harrison's Cave has deeep emerald pools.
Bathsheba is a little fishing village that has spectacular beaches, but it's a surfing beach and where the large rock is that you see in the Barbados photo's.