Barbados Car Rental

Sep 11th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Barbados Car Rental

My husband and I are going to Barbados for 10 days in February. We enjoy exploring an island by car. We also enjoy fine dining and don't mind a long drive to a restaurant. I'm concerned about driving on the left, especially at night. Should we rent a car for one or two days and take a taxi to dinner? Will we be alright renting a car for 7 days?
Sep 11th, 2007, 07:28 AM

I've never driven in Barbados, but I've driven in the Virgin Islands, and I didn't find it that hard to adapt to left-side driving. But whether you want a car for the entire time of your stay depends on where you're staying. If your'e in The Gap, you can probably walk to dinner most nights. If you're at a big resort, you'll probably be on-resort most nights. So in these cases it would make more sense to rent for just a few days. If you are staying in a villa or a more isolated inn, then definitely rent a car for your entire stay (but be aware that it can be very expensive to rent a car in Barbados during the high season).
Sep 11th, 2007, 08:34 AM

I had a full, one-day layover in Barbados at the end of August, and I rented a car (from Stoutes) so that I could explore the island. I have driven on the left a few times before (Namibia and South Africa), so I was somewhat comfortable, but its very easy to drive on the left side of the road -- the mental trick is to ensure that the drive is, at all times, sitting near the middle of the road and not along the shoulder. If you bear that in mind, you will not err. I have no idea about the availability or price of taxis, but I prefer the freedom of a rental car (unless you are planning to drink with dinner, in which case I would take a taxi, irrespective of price).
Sep 11th, 2007, 10:03 AM

I agree that it depends where you are staying. My husband and I stayed 4 nights at the Crane, and while we had a car, we chose to eat at the resort. When we were on the Caribbean side at the Fairmont, we drove to dinner every night and it was much easier to get around.
Sep 11th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

We will be staying at the Hilton. From what I've read so far, I'm not sure how happy we will be there.
Sep 11th, 2007, 11:48 AM

If you're not sure about the Hilton, you can switch. The Hilton is in a commercialized area with a just okay beach (for the Caribbean). There are a number of more authentic Caribbean hotels on the west coast north of Bridgetown with nice grounds and calmer water and perhaps shaded snorkeling beaches, with many independent and hotel restaurants nearby/easy to drive to. Check out Coral Reef Club, the class act on the island--family owned for over 50 years, plantation style low rise buildings and cottages on gorgeous grounds and pretty beach. www.coralreefbarbados.com Suggest a rental car--you cannot see all the interesting places in one or two days.
Sep 12th, 2007, 06:17 AM

I always rent a car in bds and find it easier than most to get around. Stoutes is a terrific outfit.

Peace, Greenie