Search

Barbados Beach and Hotel Question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2017, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barbados Beach and Hotel Question

Folks

We are looking to spend a bout a week in Barbados in Dec (before Christmas). We chose Barbados because it seemed the only Island with decent swimming beaches that was not impacted by the recent hurricanes. We are primarily interested to have beautiful soft sand and calm beach for my son to enjoy (last year Turks and Caicos was good, though not a lot to do or see beyond fabulous beaches - very flat). All our other choices are impacted by Irma in one way or another. So if we are missing anything, let us know.

But sticking with Barbados, we are looking at south and western (Caribbean) sides, as the east sides is more for surfers and has big waves. Have a tentative reservation at the Fairmount Royal Pavilion, though the beach and hotel seem ok but not very exciting (like having also a large pool with swim up snack bar, etc.). I don't like all-inclusive and noisy, big places (the Palms at Caicos was perfect in that sense, though service was mediocre). I like to have ocean-front rooms (Fairmont affords that with their junior suites, though there are small for three of us- my son is an adult).

Any suggestions Are The House by Elegant Hotels or Sandpiper worth considering?

Thanks for your suggestions in advance. I always get thoughtful insights from Fodor travelers.