Barbados! Any Suggestions???

May 7th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Susan

Barbados! Any Suggestions???

We will be traveling to Barbados for the first time in June. Any recommendations on what to do, see, where to eat? Any information regarding the construction in the area? Do you need to rent a car? Thanks for the information.

May 13th, 2002, 08:00 AM
S

???

May 13th, 2002, 03:24 PM
lauren

I just returned from my third trip there in March. Depens on what you want to do. I like a lot of nightlife as well as good restaurants. If you like Mexican, try Cafe Sol in St. Lawrence Gap. This is very fun, hip place but also has pretty good Mexican. The Shak Shak is a really good Caribbean restaurant on the water near the Hotel Accra (10 minutes from the Gap). Pisces is a very atmospheric seafood place on the water in St. Lawrence Gap, but on my last visit, the food was just good, not great. Going to Oistins fish fry on a Friday night is a must. It is very casual and gets a mix of tourists and local - an outdoor fish party is the best way to describe it. I would also hire a taxi for the day and have them take you around the island for a tour. Make sure you stop at one of the pottery factories - Barbados have beautiful pottery. Most of the construction that I am aware of is near the gap area. Where are you staying?

May 14th, 2002, 06:27 AM
X

Lauren - Since you've been there so often, can you recommend a place to stay? Looking for mellow, no kids, great service/rooms/atmosphere/cuisine. Thanks.

May 14th, 2002, 09:30 AM
fiona

agree with Lauren about Oistins- food and atmosphere are both terrific. Try the kingfish. We thought that Pisces was first class. The construction that had been causing chaos in St Lawrence Gap had been completed when we were there in April. You have to go on the Tiami catamarran cruise- its just brilliant.
to X
haven't been to child free hotel but the Colony Club on the west coast seems to fit your needs. Ask for info on this site from those who have been.

May 14th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Susan

Thanks for your response. We are staying at the Bougainvillea Beach Resort. Any info on that?

May 14th, 2002, 10:48 AM
S

Lauren, X and Fiona,
How was the weather recenly too?

May 14th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Jackie

My husband and I stayed at the Bougainvillea two years ago and liked it very much. There were a few families but not that you would notice. All rooms are suites and beautifully decorated, balcony overlooking the pool/beach area very relaxing. Beautiful stretch of beach to walk on. You can walk to the Gap during the day via the beach but not recommended at night. We took the public transportation over to Holetown to one of the restaraunts there and enjoyed it very much. The people on the island are wonderful, very polite, very nice. Have a great trip.

May 14th, 2002, 11:01 AM
fiona

Susan
Have only heard positives about Bougainvillea although don't know it myself.

May 14th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Susan

Thanks!!!

May 14th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Susan

Does anyone know if the bougainavillea is close to the St. Lawrence Gap?

May 15th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Stp

Has anyone stayed at the South Beach Resort? I am headed there next month and cannot seem to find reviews online like I could for the bougainavillea.

May 20th, 2002, 03:54 AM
Lois

Hi Susan,
Bougainvillea is not far from The Gap, but not easy walking distance (not safe at night to walk). You should love it, gorgeous resort.

Don't know about South Beach -- might be better off getting a better known resort.

Search this Thread