Barbados

Nov 20th, 2001, 07:27 PM
Joni

Barbados

I am going to Barbados for the first time in January. I need as much info as possible! I will be staying at the Divi Southwinds in an Ocean front villa, does anyone know anything about these villas? Or anything about the Divi? I heard a lot of mixed reports, but most were old. I understand that they had a lot of renovations, are they finished?

Anywhere recommended for good snorkeling? Any trips that we should do? What's this about swimming with the turtles?

Who should we rent a Moke from?

Good bars/clubs/restaurants that are outside or on the beach?

What's Oisten's Fish fry all about? Is it only held on the weekends?

Any other tips or suggestions of things that we should do would be much appreciated!

Nov 21st, 2001, 01:17 AM
Angela

If you don't mind spending a few £££'s, The CLiff's restaurant is absolutely fantastic - IMO the best on the island. Great views, food and service.

Nov 21st, 2001, 03:15 AM
Dawn

I stayed at the Divi Southwinds last December. The beach is fantastic and it is in a great location. They were doing some renovations when I was there. The place is an older resort, but my unit was very clean. The best beach bar is The Boatyard. The best catamaran cruise to swim with the turtles is The Tiami, they will pick you up at your hotel out front. Have a good trip.

Nov 21st, 2001, 10:44 AM
Sheila

Don't miss the Oistens fish fry! If I recall correctly, it's only held on Friday nights, and we had a ball when we were there 2 years ago. There are a number of local vendors set up in small booths, selling different varieties of fish dinners, some with chips, some with salad, etc, etc. We had broiled kingfish steaks that my husband still talks about. We also ate at many other lovely restaurants on the south coast,including Davids, Pisces, and Brown Sugar. You'll have a ball! Cheers, Sheila

Nov 21st, 2001, 10:53 AM
tony

I totally agree with Dawn about the Tiami. They can't do enough for you!! We are going to Barbados again next Easter and will be taking trip with them. We are also going to Oistins. We have not been there before but have heard some good reports.Make sure you visit the east coast as the scenery is dramatic.

Nov 22nd, 2001, 02:43 PM
Maryellen

Is the Divi all inclusive?

Dec 30th, 2001, 12:05 PM
Marylee

We own a timeshare with Divi on the west coast of Barbados - Divi Heritage. The company went bankrupt a number of years ago, but they seem to be getting it together. Southwinds is a nice resort, but not super luxurious. I'm not sure of your age, but the "Gap" area where Southwinds is attracks a younger crowd than the west coast. The only restaurant I can reccommend on the beach near Southwinds is Josephs. There are no big name car rental companies on Barbados so you can get names from the hotel. By all means just drive around the island. Go to the west coast and stop at either Bomba's in Paynes Bay or Mullins which is further north. Bombas is a cool bar and restaurant with a very busy beach. Mullins is a nicer beach with a more upscale restaurant and bar. You should also drive to The Crane Hotel which has a great beach also. Bathsheba has the biggest waves, it's nice to see but you really can't swim there. You may want to take a taxi one night and go to The Cliff on the west coast. It's a fabulous restaurant with a drop-dead view. It's pricely though. Second choice is Camombola.
Have a great trip.

Jan 2nd, 2002, 03:01 AM

ttt

Search this Thread