Bahamas - Which Island?

Search

Bahamas - Which Island?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bahamas - Which Island?

My husband and I are thinking of a getaway to the Bahamas this spring/summer. Does anyone have any suggestions for which island is the best to stay on? We'd like to try and hostel it, to make the trip more affordable, so resorts are not a factor for us. Any advice is appreciated!!!
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 06:33 PM

If you're looking for hostel type budget places, check out Mexico, Belize, or Costa Rica.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

All sound great, but we can fly to the Bahamas cheap! Is the Bahamas not worth it for budget travel?
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 04:32 AM

The Bahamas is expensive once you get there.
That's why I suggested the others.
Especially Costa Rica-check out the Manuel Antonio/Jaca area. And airlines run specials, so you can fly around $300-$400 per person.
Hard to find Bahamas for under $200 a night, not including the expensive food.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 04:33 AM

You can also check out specials at Dominican Republic, sometimes for $600 per person, includes everything, air, all inclusive, etc.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 11:08 AM

I've stayed in the Bahamas Out Islands (especially Eleuthera) on a budget. One villa we rented, Calypso, is oceanfront and under $1000 per week. But you must rent a car, which is upwards of $50-60 per day. We have done it on a budget, but the car is a splurge/must!

Have you read this low budget trip report for the BVI? Might be right up your alley, they spent $1100 for 7 nights including everything:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34970569
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 04:32 AM

Lot's of people used to enjoy Great Guana Cay off of Abaco, Bahamas. Unfortunately, a multi-million dollar development has ruined Guana Cay. Bakers Bay, on the north end of the 7-mile long cay, has just experienced a fuel oil spill from the construction site. If you chose the Abacos, go to another cay instead of Guana. Robert59
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I'll look into this.

I found airfare on kayak.com and a hostel stay for the 2 of us for about $650. (4 nights/5 days). I am trying to do this whole thing within $1000. It's going to be tough, but that is what we can manage.

We just took a huge trip to South Africa in January and already I've go the "travel itch"!

Will look into this. Costa Rica would be fabulous! It's a place I want to eventually get to, but is a bit pricey right now. I actually checked out Mexico and Belize, and I can't find affordable airfares. : (

I'm currently looking into Eleuthera - that may be the way for us to go, although we may be passing on the villa.....sounds fantastic though...

We're up for going anywhere from the NY Metro area, but we're trying to keep it budget. It's even cheaper then going to California and I haven't much interest in Vegas.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 01:25 PM

Going to Eleuthera from Nassau is going to take a chunk out of your budget. I would suggest looking around on Nassau for suggestions, like Orange Hill or the Nassau Beach Hotel. Both are budget and you can easily get downtown by bus.

Also check www.libertytravel.com for more suggestions on package deals.

Old Apr 9th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

We decided to stay in Nassau (we have 5 days and not a lot of money). We decided on the Mignon Guest House - $53/night.....does anyone have a review?

We'll likely do a Eleuthera day trip (the place sounds fabulous!). Any suggestions anyone has on must-sees is appreciated! We're really excited!!!!
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 08:13 PM

You guys will have a great time. The guest house is not near the beach, but you can get a jitney to downtown and find some beach on Paradise Island or go further east on Bay St. to Cable Beach.

For your day trip the fast ferry does at least 2 trips dails www.bahamasferries.com and you might get off at either Spanish Wells, or probably a better option is Harbour Island. Or get off on Spanish Wells and if you miss the ferry take a water taxi over to Harbour Island.

The beach on both of these small islands is beautiful. Spanish Wells has some interesting history and is a Dutch settlement.

Harbour Island is small 3 miles by 1/2 mile wide with a beautiful beach. Lots of cute places for lunch and a bit of shopping.

Have a great time.