Search

Bahamas Out Islands Ferry/Plane Reservations

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bahamas Out Islands Ferry/Plane Reservations

Hi there,
We're getting ready to go on our honeymoon to Harbour and Cat Islands.
I've figured out the times of the flights and ferries we would like to take.
Do you recommend booking them beforehand? Especially the Bo-Hengy ferry - the booking form on the website - not sure I can trust it to hold my reservation?
Should I just go with the flow and buy the tickets when there?
Also - any word on Cat Island Air? Is it trustworthy? (our flight TO harbour island is on bahamas air)
Thanks!
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 12:11 PM

Congrats on your upcoming marriage.

I flew Cat Island Air to/from Cat Island from Nassau last year. You can't make reservations more than 30 days in advance, and they don't issue you a ticket -- they sort of pencil you in on the books. No matter -- they take off on time, land on time, and provide competent service at a fair price. I was pleased with the service. My only issue was that the flight time was so early in the morning that we had to arrive in Nassau the night before and stay overnight; I would have preferred not doing that. (This year, we flew Gulfstream, with a late afternoon flight from FLL, so we made the trip in a single day.)

Enjoy Cat Island - it's a very unique place.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 12:15 PM

BTW, I notice that you were thinking about staying at Fernandez Bay Village. That is where my husband and I have stayed for both of our Cat Island trips, and where we're sure to return. It's a magical (though rustic) place.

Watch closely as the plane approaches the airport -- you will make your approach right over Fernandez Bay, giving you an enticing preview of the coming week.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Yes Callaloo - we actually did book FBV. I emailed you a while back and you were very helpful and I've read both your travelogues about it! They were so well written and whenever I yearn for our trip I read them! It's so very exciting!
3 nights on Harbour Island (Tingum Village)
7 nights at FBV at Cat
1 night at Comfort Suite/Atlantis.
We can't wait.
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 04:37 AM

Definitely book your flights to Cat Island as soon as you are allowed. While some flights are virtually empty others are completely booked. Also try to see some of Cat Island during your stay. There are some beautiful places both north and south of FBV.

Congratulations on your wedding.
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 04:46 AM

magsnyc

Forgot to add.....congratulations on choice of honeymoon destinations. Definitely an Out Island experience!
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 08:47 AM

Congratulations and I know you will have a great time.

Harbour Island is a little jewel of an island. I know you will be planning a return visit before you leave.

Ma Ruby will make you feel like family at Tingum Village, and that is the BEST place in the world for her famous "cheeseburgers in paradise". Everyone goes there for lunch. Your accomodations are bunglaows, so it's a bit private and quaint.

From there Romora Bay is right down the road for a really nice dinner, and Seagrapes (Larry Cleary's place) is one of the nite spots on island. By the way Larry is also one of the well known artists on island.

There is a bit of shopping "downtown", a few restaurants a couple of clothing stores, 2 bakeries, a deli, wine store (just off Temperance Square, lol), and some very old churches.

You are not right on the beach, but there is a path from the hotel to the beach, so you aren't far away.

When you arrive at the government dock, there will be cabs to take you over to the hotel, Reggie and Jenna Major are the cab drivers, so please say HI for me.

Have a great time and if you have any other questions about the island, please let me know.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone!
I do have one other question. What other airlines service North Eleuthera besides Bahamas Air? The flight works fine for getting us there but neither the one flight they offer to return to Nassau nor the Bo Hengy will get us back to Nassau in time for the Cat Island air flight.

Perhaps because of the holidays it's a more limited schedule? It also seems a shame that Harbour is on the WAY to Cat. Perhaps we should charter a flight? Probably way too expensive for us though. Any thoughts?
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 11:06 AM

Magsnyc

May want to check with Tingum Village on airline options. I know Pineapple Air flys to Nassau from North Eleuthera. Don't know anything about their record.

http://www.eleu.net/pineschedules.html
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 02:07 PM

I don't know about Cat Island, but Southern Air from Nassau, worksgood for one day flights from most of the U.S. to Long Island.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 03:44 AM

Why don't you give Continental (Gulfstream) a call before you book your flight on Cat Island Air. Gulfstream's FLL to Cat Island flight stops at Governor's Harbour in the late afternoon. You may be able to get yourself from Harbour Island to GHB and connect directly to Cat Island.