Attack At Church?

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 02:31 PM
roger

Attack At Church?

I just read in the new york newsday newspaper
about the attack and murder in the church .
I can't believe this. Right in the center of town. This is not going to be my next vacation. I called my travel agent and cancelled our trip.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 03:05 PM
Laura

I went to St. Lucia last March and stayed at the flawless Jalousie Hilton Resort & Spa. The recent church attack there was atrocious, but if you ever do decide to go back, this is a very safe, beautiful place.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 04:14 PM
Gail

Roger,
I don't know where you live, but people are murdered everyday and just about every city. Don't let this incident ruin your vacation.
There is no true safe place. Just live and enjoy!

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 05:37 PM
Parrot Mom

The killing was in Taxco and the young man is the son of a very prominent Greek official..and the young man was to receive his degree in February...

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 06:00 PM
Louis

Roger:

What is your point. You can go anywhere your choose. The New York Newsday newspaper? Never heard of it. Perhaps I am lucky.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 12:03 PM
Beth

There was a murder just last week in an office just outside of Boston. There are murders everywhere. I'm not saying that's okay... but we can't live our lives worried about it.

Should those employees not go back to work?

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 12:09 PM
mary

That's too bad Roger. I just got back last month and can't wait to return. The island is wonderful and so are the people. Never once did I feel threatened and we did our share of exploring.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 01:02 PM
Gwen

How sad Roger that would so harshly judge a country on this incident. Murders happen unfortunatly everywhere. It is a beautiful island with very nice people and is quite safe. If you find your Nirvana where nothing bad ever happens and everyone is happy and has money, let me know.........

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 01:11 PM
Linda B.

Roger better to err on the side of safety, than become a statistic. Go to Tahati. It is wonderful, and crime free.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 01:22 PM
Marie

We were in St. Lucia in July & it is the most beautiful place we have yet (and we go to a different island every summer). We felt VERY safe and stayed at both ends of the island. If I lived elsewhere & read about the "crime" in the U.S., I probably would never come here!

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 01:55 PM
Mark

Much ado over nothing. We found St Lucians to be very friendly to the
tourist crowd. I thing there troubles
shouldn't affect the average tourist.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 06:49 PM
Debbie

Cancelling your trip to St. Lucia because of an isolated incident where a local group attacked Catholic church goers on New Year's resulting in the death of a 72 year old nun, is about the stupidest most knee-jerk reaction I have ever heard of in my several years of posting to this board.
Yes, it was an extremely tragic incident but it was an isolated and unfortunate incident and was not aimed at tourists.
This is not an island where the locals go around murdering tourists. You have a much bigger chance of shitting your little scaredy-cat pants from the adventurous drive from the airport to your hotel than of being murdered in a church in St. Lucia.

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 06:11 AM
Eileen

A few years ago we had planned a trip to the Acapulco Princess/Pierre Marques Resort. Then we hear that the manager of the Acapulco Princess was kidnapped by bandits and a security guard was killed in the process (the manager was later released unharmed). Well, our plans were set so we went anyway and had an absolutely wonderful time, always felt safe, all the people were great. My point? These things happen and are usually isolated incidents but sometimes get blown out of proportion because they are tourist destinations. Riots/political uprisings I would avoid but I wouldn't change my plans because of other crimes. Most islands are safer than home.

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 10:28 AM
Parrot Mom

First the murder at the church was in Taxco, Mexico.. there has been a female travel reporter missing in Jamaica, there was a horrendous slaughter of seven innocent people at Harvard Mills in Mass....but if your going to stop going..well, then..just lock your doors, put a security system in and don't go anywhere.. Oh yes...there was a mysterious death of a woman in Aruba (her husband is a suspect)...

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 07:24 PM
Debbie

Parrot Mom - I don't disagree with what you are saying but there must have been another incident in Taxaco similar to the one in St. Lucia. There was an article in our newspaper on New Year's day and it specifically described a church in Castries St. Lucia and it was a nun who was murdered. Apparently the rebel group who was supposedly behind this happening denied that it was their people involved in this unfortunate incident.

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 09:55 PM
Cherche'

Don't be silly, Linda B., Tahiti has crime too. Just because you didn't witness or experience it doesn't mean it's nonexistent. There is much political unrest of late in Tahiti & Fiji too for that matter. I'd be more uncomfortable vacationing in an angry island nation.

I hadn't heard of the murder & as sad as it is, it was apparently not aimed at tourists. If you had been on St. Lucia, chances are you would have been at the beach or sipping your morning java at the Jalousie, not at church. I'm betting that you'd spend zero time in residential areas or the places where the locals go. That's where most crimes occur on any island.

Roger, it's not the fact that you reported the attack on this forum. It's your need to be the town crier. The sky is falling, the sky is falling! LOL!

Do you realize there are beaucoup thefts, rapes & death by unnatural causes at Disney theme parks, the supposed Happiest Place on Earth?

Your cryptic post leaves us wondering; just where DO you plan on vacationing? Nirvana??? Shangrila??? Utopia????

After you call the psychic hotline to locate a sterile, no-risk destination, please, do be so kind as to post your findings here so that all may benefit from your knowledge.

(I suspect you were never booked to St. Lucia.)

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 06:13 AM
visitor

Crime can happen. This post just reminds us to be aware-ANYWHERE! Some of us can get lulled into a false security, especially on a tropical, small island. It would not stop me from going!

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 07:09 AM
Parrot Mom

Then, I gather there were two incidents... a young man who was about to graduate MIT with an advanced degree in February was killed outside a church in Taxco, Mexico while his friend went inside.. Hadn't read about the Nun... You don't seriously think that the tourists bureaus in the Carribean countries are going to acknowledge crime against tourists.. Do you know in St. Thomas that the shops close at 5:00 p.m. promptly because the cruisers are back on the ships and there is such a high crime rate and drug problem...who told me..a shop manager..

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 08:09 AM
Arnie

Oh-my-god, there was a murder in the United States yesterday. I'm not going there! Oh-my-god, I AM there! What to do! What to do!

Old Jan 7th, 2001, 10:12 AM
Mike

Arnie

Your absolutely right with that statement. It just proves how dumb people are sometimes when there is an isolated crime incident. Crime is everywhere. I would of understand the point of view of those avoiding St. Lucia if crime against visitors or amongst locals was an every day thing.
So if a murder happens in your neighbourhood would want to sell your house and live elsewhere? If a murder happens in your town would want to leave town? Give me a break and put your feet on planet earth. Arnie thumbs up I love your post.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO