Atlantis for Senior Citizen Couple?

Old Apr 30th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlantis for Senior Citizen Couple?

My wife really wants to go to the Atlantis though I see it as a Disneyland for children, teens and adukts in their 30-40's. I could be wrong. We would spend 2 full days/3 nights in the Royal Tower the 3rd week of Oct. (hurricane season ends around 11/1.We then are going to Andros Island for snorkeling, diving and bonefishing for 6 days.
Is it as "over-the-top" as Las Vegas which I appreciate for 2-3 days? With meals it will cost almost as much for 3 nights as 6 nights at the very nice resort in Andros but besides water activities and pretty good food there is not much to do but at 60 we are often heading to our room by 9PM anyway after a 4-5 hours on/in the water.
What do you think??
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 02:56 PM

I'll prefis this reply with the fact that our trip to Atlantis two years ago was NOT my favorite vacation . . . BUT my kids loved it. Disneyland on a beach pretty much sums it up. You definitely need to like kids running around and the glitzy, big resort scene. You can follow my profile to my full review.

If you liked Vegas for a few days, you might get a kick out of it. This place and an outer island are on different ends of the spectrum . . . the contrast might be fun. The only way I'd go back would be on route to Eleuthera or one of the other "real" tropical paradises (then maybe my kids would shush up about wanting one more go at the slides!?!?)
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since your wife really wants to go...just do it!
We have always enjoyed our stays at Atlantis. Three nights should be perfect before heading out to your relaxation on Andros.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 06:41 PM

Yes.. it's disney meets vegas.. but if she really NEEDs to go... then go..

Dinner offsite will make it palatable.

Take a cab to Villagios at the Caves for dinner... it's worth the trip.

For something closer.. cafe matisse downtown OR Luciano's over the brideg will do the trick..

Actually Shogun Revolver is the ultimate in if you like really great cuisine.. (new place- not in the listing 242-398-8383)

Add a few hours to mingle with the locals at the Green Parrot and you've got the perfect vacation.

have a wonderful trip (you'll LOVE Andros)
Old May 1st, 2008, 06:13 AM

We are a married couple in our late 40's with 2 boys (12 & 16) and have been to Atlantis several times. I agree that it is something that you need to do -- if your wife really has her heart set on going. The resort is huge, however, so be prepared to do some walking. Although some pools are crazy with kids, there are pools that are on the quieter side (the one by the Beach Tower, the one by the Harborside Villas). Some of the water slides are a bit wild but you may really enjoy the lazy river ride. I also enjoyed the new rapids ride. I agree that eating outside the resort is your best bet....The Green Parrot, Anthony's Caribbean Grille, The Newstand in Hurricane Hole Plaza...those are a few reasonable and relaxed atmosphere establishments. In the evening, there are several things you can do...tour "The Dig", gamble a bit, catch a free movie at Atlantis, walk over to The Newstand for an ice cream cone (cheaper than in the marketplace), window shop/listen to music at the marketplace. You can easily fill 3 nights and find reasonable meals if you know where to go. Have fun!
Old May 1st, 2008, 05:32 PM

Another option is to stay at the Ocean Club, which is the sister resort of Atlantis down the beach. It is much more elegant, quiet, and adult, but you have all the privileges of Atlantis just a 10-minute walk down the beach.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:53 AM

Another idea for saving some money is to stay at Comfort Suites, across the street from Atlantis....free continental breakfast and full access to Atlantis. The accommodations are not fancy (far from the Royal Towers or Ocean Club) but it is clean and the staff is friendly. This would allow you to spend some time at Atlantis but then have a quiet retreat if the Disneyland-Vegas environment got to be too much. Lovely small quiet pool with pool bar await you following the crowds at Atlantis.