At $750/night or so, need help!!!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 01:14 PM
janie

At $750/night or so, need help!!!

Looking to book a 2 week trip for hubby and I. Price range is anywhere from $600-$800 night...in this range Im thinking about:

Vatulele on Fiji in South Pacific.. (around $750/night with meals)

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I love Anguilla b/c you can leave and go into town, into restaurants, and Im worried 1 week at a private island resort like vatulele will not be so good b/c of that....
(also I love the marble bathrooms etc...)

Given that, what other beach vacation would you recommend? We can pretty much go anywhere..or should we just go back to Anguilla (there has got to be another beach vacation equal to cap juluca/cuisinart isnt there???????????)

thanks!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 01:34 PM
JJ

Resort wise, Las Ventanas al Paraiso is an amazing place (Cabo San Lucas). Rated the number one resort in the world last year by Robb Report. We stayed there last summer (right next to Pam Anderson....is that a good sign or not?). Miles of uncrowded beach, great deep sea fishing, never rains, top notch food at their restaurant. Great bathrooms and patios or sundecks. This is Rosewood Resorts' top North American property. Very expensive. Ocean view rooms are usually $700+ per night. The downside is that the towns are shabby feeling to me. Very informative website.

Have you considered the Four Seasons Hualalai on the Big Island-Hawaii? Hotel wise, you won't find anything better. Beach isn't nearly as good as the worst on Anguilla, but there are great daytrips available as diversions.

One of my all time favorite trips was to Hayman Island off the coast of Queensland Australia. The suite we had was just outstanding. The resort is the only building on the island, out close to the Great Barrier Reef. They pick you up in a multimillion dollar yacht from the airport and transport you about an hour out into the Pacific. The resort is extremely well run, very upscale (west wing is all new, avoid the east). Bill Gates and clan were there last time we went. But alas, no town to go into. Check out the pics on the resort's website.

A new Sheraton (supposedly a Luxury Collection property) is to open in August in Bora Bora. Again, no town , though.

What about Sandy Lane on Barbados? Check out sandylane.com. I haven't stayed there but the rooms look superb. Especially the bathrooms. Only open 1+ years after being torn down and rebuilt from the ground up.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 02:13 PM
Patty Potty

What is it with you people and your bathroom fixation? You need marble bathrooms on vacation? For what? I can understand needing clean, working fixtures, but marble?
How much time do you people spend in the bathroom?
Personally that's not why I go on vacation but perhaps I'm missing out on something.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 03:06 PM
curious

What town with restaurants do you go into on Anguilla?

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 04:29 PM
Each His Own

Patty:
Some people view a car as being a convenient way to get from point A to point B. Nothing more. A 1985 Chevy works fine for them.
Some people really like and enjoy cars and spend a lot more.

Some people think any more than $10 for an entree at a restaurant is a waste.

Some people think $60 per night cruise lines are great.

If you don't care about hotel bathrooms, that's great. That's your thing.
When I go away from home and spend money at a resort, I think it's fun to experience something better than what I have at home. And I have a great home and bathroom to begin with.
But that's just my thing.
Frankly, I'm a cheap eater overall. I rarely eat at places which cost more than $35 per person.
But I don't mind spending over $500 a night for a great hotel.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Nancy

If you have 2 weeks I would recommend one week in Moorea and one week in Bora Bora. These islands are true paradise. You can stay in an over-the-water bungalow and just jump off your deck and snorkle right in the lagoon. There is a lot of exploring as Moorea is very very lush and you can rent a boat in Bora Bora and travel all around the lagoon to different Motus (small inlets). The culture is also wonderful to explore. While I also love marble bathrooms, you won't get them there, but you'll get real vanilla plants growing! We went there on our honeymoon 4 years ago and would go back in a heartbeat. We are leaving for Anguilla in two weeks and staying at Cap. I'm hoping that this will be as good as our honeymoon.

Also, try any island that has a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton. You will definitely get marble bathrooms, beautiful beaches, and unbelievable service. We have actually gone back to Cancun twice and stayed at the Ritz. It was wonderful!

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Sharon

The Big Island of Hawaii was amazing--the lushness, volcanoes national park, topography, whale watching, watersports. My husband even rode on the back of giant sea turtles while swimming! The Kohala area has the luxury resorts. Luaus are not commercial like the other islands. People were so friendly and we can't wait to go back. We stayed in Kona not in Kohala so I can't recommend a hotel at your level--Fodor's online has recommendations. This is a big island, so you'll need to rent a car.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Sharon

Flying between islands is short-- we have gone to 2-3 islands while on vacation--Maui and the Big Island are great choices.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Theresa

Another vote for Bora Bora and Moorea. I truly loved them. Especially Moorea - Sheraton Lagoon Resort. Visit Tiki Village while there. A couples paradise.