Search

Arubu or Punta Cana?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:06 AM
Lisa

Arubu or Punta Cana?

I am getting married in October and I really want to take a honeymoon the week after the wedding. I have been wanting to go to Punta Cana for a long time, but I've heard it is better to go to Aruba than Punta Cana in October. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Sue

Definitely Aruba. It is out of the hurricane belt (hurricane season is July thru end of November), beautiful beaches, some of the best dining in the Caribbean and very safe so you do not have to stay confined to the hotel grounds. Punta Cana is more of a budget destination and also outside of the resorts there is nothing to do on your own. There is no town to wonder off to or shopping only planned supervised excursions.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:20 AM
Laurie

We just returned from Punta Cana. I have never seen such beautiful beaches in my life. Everyone who we met agreed...this location is very romantic.<BR>If you go away to shop, go to Aruba. If you're looking for endless beaches to wander on, perfect climate, etc., Punta Cana is lovely.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 09:21 AM
liz

I will say this about Aruba. If you like Miami Beach, you will like Aruba. The only difference is that it never rains in Aruba, and the sky is midnight blue at high noon. The water is not particularly warm. The beaches are sugar sand. The locals are friendly and there is great shopping. However I just didn't relate to one low row of high rise chain hotels after the next and lots of sun-starved Germans rushing out at 5AM to claim a beach chair with their towel. However in October you are taking a huge risk, as the other person said, in the rest of the Carib, and you can fly non-stop from some places to Aruba. I have heard great things here on the Hyatt, the new Radisson and the Marriott on Aruba. There is no poverty, no slums, no ugliness of any kind. Just be prepared that it has no culture per se beyond some brightly painted houses, and you will probably never interact with any of the people that live there, just other tourists. If you like windsurfing, this is an ideal place. Depending on where you live I would choose Hawaii during this month, ie. the Four Seasons on Maui.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 10:40 AM
udy

No comparison - Punta Cana - having been to both - Punta Cana is tropical, beautiful, most resorts have 7 - 10 restaurants. There is alot of day trips to do here and it is soo relazing and the beach is gorgeous. Aruba gets alot of mileage by saying it s hurrican free. You could not pay me to go back to Aruba. I admit the restaurants were good and the weather was fantastic but the atmosphere is terrible -you might as well be in Miami as the above poster said.