Aruba: Walking/taxi to restaurants from the Hyatt

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are making dinner reservations now for our first trip to Aruba in a few weeks. We are staying at the Hyatt and have a car for a portion of the stay. After reading on this board and other Aruba sites, we have reservations for dinner at Madame Janette's, Flying Fishbone, and El Gaucho for the nights we have a car.

Wanted to make reservations for two other places when we don't have the rental car and thought we would try to stay closer to the hotel...We are considering Papiamento, Ruinas Del Mar, Aqua-Grille. Thought we would try the "Italian lighthouse restaurant" and Salt and Pepper for lunch instead of dinner.

Is Papiamento within reasonable walking distance from the Hyatt?

If there are truly other restaurants that we shouldn't miss, what are they? how far from the Hyatt? and how much would the transportation be? Any cuisine is enjoyed, we just would rather not have to dress in anything more formal than resort/business casual.

Thanks!
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 09:13 AM
AES

Papiamiento is not walking distance from the Hyatt. It's an easy drive, but I recall thinking it'd be too long of a walk and involves a couple of busy streets. We had a car, but I think the cab ride wouldn't be more than a few dollars each way.

and good idea for Salt & Pepper for lunch -- we liked it for breakfast as well.

As far as other "don't miss" places, I think you're covered.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 09:25 AM

IMHO, the "Italian Lighthouse Restaurant" would be a wonderful place to have dinner at night and watch the sunset, rather than for lunch. I agree with the above poster that Papiamento is a long walk and unless you wear proper shoes and are a "walker" it will be too far. Probably a mile or more, across a busy highway and then on the side of the rode without a sidewalk in some spots. I also would go to Texas DeBrazil instead of ElGaucho. You could walk there. It's across from the Playa Linda which is next to the Hyatt. I also might try "Moomba Beach" for a outside on-the-beach casual lunch or casual evening meal or just for a drink in the evening. It's between the Holiday Inn and the Mariott, directly on the beach. Actually, all the restaurants in Aruba are good. We have been going there for the past 30 years and I don't think we ever had a bad meal. Some better than others, but generally the restaurants there go out of business if not good.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 12:51 PM

My husband and I really enjoyed both Tango and Fishes and More. They are both located across the street from the Allegro next to Salt and Pepper.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 06:24 PM

We loved Madame Janette's and El Gaucho. Flying Fishbone was mediocre at best. Why don't you do Marandi,instead? You will still be able to eat on the water and the food is exceptional. They do have a website. Also, it is much closer than Flying Fishbone which was quite a long drive.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 07:53 PM

My husband and I love Pasion Bodega, which is a longer walk or very short cab ride -- we always hit it when in Aruba. Also, I would suggest not missing Chalet Suisse (worth it for the Toblerone fondue alone!) -- this would be a cab ride. We did Salt and Pepper for tapas and a couple cold drinks mid-afternoon and really liked it. Amazonia is within walking distance and is good, but was a bit too much meat for me (it's a fixed price all you can eat sort of thing). We liked Pago Pago in the Wyndam too (look for the coupon in the tourist books for a free two person drink -- it's huge, fruity, and amusing). We love Madame Janette! Good choices!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 08:51 AM

I think it all depends on your sense of adventure and what type of walkers you are. I stayed at the Radisson this past winter(which is near the Hyatt) and my husband and I walked to Papiamento. It was about a 20 minute walk, very pleasant and safe. You just need to know where you are going. I'm sure the concierge at the hotel could point you in the right direction. I like to walk, especially after dinner as it helps with the calories that I had just ingested!!
Another restaurant that is just a few minutes is Aqua Grille - wonderful seafood.
Have fun - Aruba is a great place!!!
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info...we may look into a taking a cab to Papiamento, especially if we go on our first night in Aruba. Otherwise, we can check out the "walking distance"...20 minutes doesn't sound terrible, it is the busy highway that might have us cabbin' it.

Thanks for the other suggestions also...we looked into Chalet Suisse, thinking it was not as "vacation'like" as we were looking for...although the fondue DID make it quite tempting! Tango and Amazonia seemed like similar cuisine (carnivore-fest) to El Gaucho which we have heard about for years and my husband really wants to go. As for Flying Fishbone...the atmosphere could make up for average food, no?

Will look into Pasion Bodega, Marandi, and Aqua Grille for dinner also. Moomba Beach sounds like a good lunch spot. Wow...I think we will be set! We can't wait.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 10:29 AM

Don't get put off by the "busy highway". There are sidewalks and it is no more dangerous than walking anywhere in a city. There are traffic lights at the intersection. Is is safe to walk - truly.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 04:54 AM

jerseygirl~
Please post a trip report upon your return!
Give us details! We want to know what jeep tour you choose, if you go on a sunset sail, where you eat, your Aruba airport experience, etc.
Going in November for the first time ~ really looking forward to the trip.
Will watch for your trip report. Have a GREAT time!!
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 08:53 AM

ALL THE PLACES YOU MENTIONED AT VERY GOOD , WE STAY AT THE WYNDHAM AND PAGO PAGO IS A GREAT PLACE TO EAT REALLY GOOD FOOD AND YOU CAN WALK THE PATH FROM WYNDHAM CLEAR TO THE HOLIDAY INN AND THERE ARE GOOD PLACES TO EAT IN ALL THE HOTELS ALONG THE WAY.
THE LA PETIT (SPELLING WRONG) IS VERY GOOD, THEY BRING YOU FOOD TO TABLE AND IT FINISHES COOKING WE HAVE BEEN THERE BOTH TRIPS TO ARUBA AND GOING AGAIN NEXT JUNE IT IS VERY GOOD AND YOU CAN WALK I THINK IS IS IN FRONT OF PLAYA LINDA..?? YOU CAN PROBABLY FIND IT ON ONE OF THE ARUBA B & B'S LOT OF INFO ON THOSE ABOUT RESTURANTS AND SUCH..

TRY TO GET TO THE NATURAL POOL WHILE YOU ARE THERE IS IS NEAT.. hARD TO FIND BUT WORTH IT.. HAVE A GREAT TIME AND ENJOY ARUBA IT IS FRIENDLY , CLEAN AND A GREAT PLACE TO VISIT..
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Wow! You have given so many restaurant options to think about. A question about Pago Pago: Is there indoor and/or outdoor seating? We saw the website and it looked more "indoor-hotel-like" than we expected. We have read raves about the food on this board and elsewhere but wanted to know more about the atmosphere. Thanks!

Old Jul 24th, 2004, 08:58 PM

No one mentioned Hostaria da Vittorio but it is our favorite restaurant on the island and a short walk from the Hyatt. We've eaten at the best Italian restaurants in NYC and Philly and in our opinion Vittorio's is right up there with them.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 05:38 AM

We have traveled to Aruba many times and other than Madame Janette's our favorite restaurant is Marandi (marandiaruba.com). My last order was pork tenderloin medallions and shrimp dim sum with hoisin sauce--it was mouthwatering! Suggest reserving a table with a sunset view over the ocean. You can feel the nice breezes as it is a very large open air palapa. Their website includes the menu and other information. Highly recommend.